Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with one of the MTO agent the other day, and she confirmed that we don't need to have the vehicle registered and plated to submit the application, they will allow the application to go through. I even confirmed with her that I currently don't have the car myself and I was going to submit the charging incentive application without the VIN number, and they will still process it. So i went ahead and did it. Really hope she is not lying...
Not lying, Maybe misinformed?

• Helpful
Reactions: PAWilson
I spoke with one of the MTO agent the other day, and she confirmed that we don't need to have the vehicle registered and plated to submit the application, they will allow the application to go through. I even confirmed with her that I currently don't have the car myself and I was going to submit the charging incentive application without the VIN number, and they will still process it. So i went ahead and did it. Really hope she is not lying...

I wouldn't trust it... MTO also originally said the that Model 3 qualifies for the rebate if you get the car before Sept 11.

Not sure what agent you spoke to but she is clearly wrong as per the language in the claim form itself, and she does not have the power to overturn it. You should carefuly consider whether you will still be okay financially if (when) the claim is rejected and consider if you would be better off cancelling your order and getting a refund while Tesla is still offering it.

I think she might be misinformed. I posted the response from Twitter. Best to have things in writing. Submitting the application is also not the same thing as receiving the rebate. If you get the car before the Sept 11 deadline you’ll get the rebate for the charger install if it was done before July 11, but you won’t get the car rebate.

Attachments

• 1DE9EDEA-3857-4C7C-BE07-91E49F25D451.png
    1DE9EDEA-3857-4C7C-BE07-91E49F25D451.png
    425.4 KB · Views: 51
Not sure what agent you spoke to but she is clearly wrong as per the language in the claim form itself, and she does not have the power to overturn it. You should carefuly consider whether you will still be okay financially if (when) the claim is rejected and consider if you would be better off cancelling your order and getting a refund while Tesla is still offering it.

We're referring to the charging incentives rebate, not the 14K vehicle rebate

Maybe if Tesla could do the following.

1. 1% interest rate
2. 25% off LR
3. 25% off PUP
4 25% off EAP

I did not go with EAP due to affordability. But this would allow most buyers a way to afford the vehicle.

Just my thoughts

Kev

I removed EAP and FSD on the 29th, hedging my bets presuming I was locked in to a sale that might not include a rebate. Would prefer EAP though. Now waiting to see how things play out longer term and will revisit a purchase in early 2019 with AWD and EAP.

I'm not sure how much traction your "incentives" would provide and again, it's still going to be seen as favoritism so I'm not sure Tesla would want to go down that road and if they did, I'd prefer more aggressive incentives like free EAP if you bought FSD. This costs them nothing and gets more people into FSD which they want.

No matter how I look it or what I dream up, I don't see any easy way of making something happen. As was said earlier, in a war you don't win every battle.

Guys. CBC just called me saying they want to go film me getting my car tomorrow... what should I tell them? I want to represent all of us...

It can't hurt. It's just raw footage till they decide how to edit it into their story. There's nothing to lose at this point.

Maybe ask CBC what they are hoping to get out of it...might allow you to rehearse some thoughts.

Guys. CBC just called me saying they want to go film me getting my car tomorrow... what should I tell them? I want to represent all of us...

They are meeting me tomorrow to film my sad driveway with a half installed charger and no car as well :/

When they talked to me I said:

- I ordered the car with the rebate listed on BOTH the Tesla and Ontario Website
- They reassured consumers there would be a 'wind down' period
- There is no difference for a consumer if I buy off a website or from a dealer. (side note, if i buy off a ford.ca website does that also get screwed?)
- In the end this car is stretching my budget but we felt we were doing the right thing for the environment.
- They are protecting dealers but not consumers with the wording of the law
- I still have faith they would change things and do the right thing.

I removed EAP and FSD on the 29th, hedging my bets presuming I was locked in to a sale that might not include a rebate. Would prefer EAP though. Now waiting to see how things play out longer term and will revisit a purchase in early 2019 with AWD and EAP.

I'm not sure how much traction your "incentives" would provide and again, it's still going to be seen as favoritism so I'm not sure Tesla would want to go down that road and if they did, I'd prefer more aggressive incentives like free EAP if you bought FSD. This costs them nothing and gets more people into FSD which they want.

No matter how I look it or what I dream up, I don't see any easy way of making something happen. As was said earlier, in a war you don't win every battle.
When you do small discounts throughout you effectively give everyone the same opportunity and also head corporate won't see any problem with these occurring locally.

If you give full discounts(free of charge) then previous customers and head corporate will have issues with this.

Hide the discounts locally(Ontario) to move inventory.

Again just my thoughts.

The Tesla Owners Ontario club is giving serious thought on a rally to Queen’s Park.
Please email me at [email protected] to indicate if you are interested in participating.
You can join the club here: Ontario.teslaownersclub.ca

Guess who disagreed...

I think anything that can be done to raise awareness is great. Perhaps I get overly concerned about optics but I'd be concerned about how this is covered by any media. You certainly wouldn't want to be coming off as rich Tesla owners. That could be playing into their hands. If it's done on foot, away from your vehicles it might have better optics. Just sayin...

They are meeting me tomorrow to film my sad driveway with a half installed charger and no car as well :/

- I ordered the car with the rebate listed on BOTH the Tesla and Ontario Website
- There is no difference for a consumer if I buy off a website or from a dealer. (side note, if i buy off a ford.ca website does that also get screwed?)
- In the end this car is stretching my budget but we felt we were doing the right thing for the environment.

That’s really good. Please make sure that they focus on Model 3s. The haters keep thinking that we are crying about $100k cars (model s/model x) based on the headline from the last article.

I would just stress that although you are able to do this many others cannot. I being one of them.
I just wouldn't want public to see that Tesla buyers don't need the incentive. But free money why not.

• Love
Reactions: Chanrhc
In other news, Doug Ford just introduced a Bill that has a clause that will make it immune from civil litigation over the cancellation of green Energy projects

I’m not sure if this includes the EV rebates but pretty sad move. Screw over the little guy, prevent them from suing, then move on. Wow

Reactions: adaptabl
When you do small discounts throughout you effectively give everyone the same opportunity and also head corporate won't see any problem with these occurring locally.

If you give full discounts(free of charge) then previous customers and head corporate will have issues with this.

Hide the discounts locally(Ontario) to move inventory.

Again just my thoughts.

You could be right. I have no great insights into the working minds of those that would make such decisions. In my scenario, EAP isn't exactly free as it's hinged on buying FSD at full price. But I get where you are coming from.

Though traditionally I'm not sure where Tesla has ever given any discounts, large or small. So you'd think this would get lit up if implemented and then people would be dreaming up all sorts of scenarios where they should also be given consideration. It's a slippery slope I think.

Alternatively, maybe Elon just puts in more superchargers close to where Ford, the Environment, Finance and MTO ministers live :)