Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario overnight ultra low rate announced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks - I found it. In the last 15 days, I could have saved $15 and change with the new plan.......Now I'll do the same calculations of several other periods in the past year, at different times of the year, so see how they look.

I'm going to guess the saving in warmer months decrease if you have AC running
My AC tends to run longer in the afternoon between 2pm and 8pm

I need to upgrade our attic insulation next year to mitigate this

I'll search for that, thanks
I'm at a computer now. Once logged in to My Account, scroll down to the four icons and choose "My Energy Usage". It launches a new site with tons of data - you can choose Daily at the top and date range + export options on the right. Let me know if you develop a useful tool for assessing ULO... :)

1694964706761.png

Can Tesla's do bidirectional charging? I didn't think they could.
When we have a large EV fleet with all bidirectional cars it really could be a game-changer for the use of renewable energy as there will be so many grid connected batteries in the form of EVs to provide storage. I would be willing to sell down my EV battery power if the pricing is attractive.
Unfortunately, no. Other than the price, that's my biggest regret comparing to an Ioniq 5.

It would still require a lot of electrician work though. I have seen a UK video where they installed batteries to take advantage of the off-peak rate. However, I believe that could be illegal in Canada depending on your local code.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Unfortunately, no. Other than the price, that's my biggest regret comparing to an Ioniq 5.

It would still require a lot of electrician work though. I have seen a UK video where they installed batteries to take advantage of the off-peak rate. However, I believe that could be illegal in Canada depending on your local code.
I don't think installing batteries is illegal. I am pretty sure that people have been installing the Tesla Powerwall for a few years, primarily for use as a battery backup for your house. You should be able to just charge it overnight and then discharge during the peak period. The problem with that strategy is that it may drain your battery when you want to use it during a power blackout.

Note that we pay another 2-3 cents/kwh on "delivery charges", so it would not really be 2.4 cents/kwh, more like 5 cents or more.
Agreed on the other charges, but when you are just talking about moving your consumption from one hour to another due to your rate plan then you only have to consider the difference in rates as you will be paying those delivery charges in either case.

Agreed on the other charges, but when you are just talking about moving your consumption from one hour to another due to your rate plan then you only have to consider the difference in rates as you will be paying those delivery charges in either case.
While that is correct, here's a real world example of my last hydro bill. In that billing cycle, I used 269 kWh.

Electricity: $22.56
Delivery: $48.92
Regulatory charges: $1.80
HST: $9.53
Ontario Energy Rebate: -$8.67
Total: $74.24

They are always advertising their low electricity rates, but in light of the delivery charge (more than twice as much), the electricity rates don't make a huge difference. YMMV. I'd be interested in seeing the detailed cost at a higher consumption as the fixed cost part of the delivery charge might play a bigger role in my case than it does in other cases.

I am still waiting for Alectra to bring it. They are really dragging their feet. Note that we pay another 2-3 cents/kwh on "delivery charges", so it would not really be 2.4 cents/kwh, more like 5 cents or more.

I just contacted Alectra, and they advised me to visit the online customer portal on September 25th.
We should be able to switch our rate plan for the next billing period on Monday.

Reactions: Chetanh
While that is correct, here's a real world example of my last hydro bill. In that billing cycle, I used 269 kWh.

They are always advertising their low electricity rates, but in light of the delivery charge (more than twice as much), the electricity rates don't make a huge difference. YMMV. I'd be interested in seeing the detailed cost at a higher consumption as the fixed cost part of the delivery charge might play a bigger role in my case than it does in other cases.
I think account fee is like $30 or something (part of Delivery), which is robbery. I also heard that it's illegal to go off-grid, but I could be wrong.
My last bill had $60 for electricity and $50 for delivery, so it will make a difference, but percentage wise, not a lot.

• Disagree
I just contacted Alectra, and they advised me to visit the online customer portal on September 25th.
We should be able to switch our rate plan for the next billing period on Monday.
That is great news. Thx.
I don't think installing batteries is illegal. I am pretty sure that people have been installing the Tesla Powerwall for a few years, primarily for use as a battery backup for your house. You should be able to just charge it overnight and then discharge during the peak period. The problem with that strategy is that it may drain your battery when you want to use it during a power blackout.
Read an article where someone in PEI had to rip out their batteries due to code. MSN but likely regulations are different across provinces. I haven't looked into Ontario code. I use about 150kwh at peak or mid-peak, not really worth the hassle to install a battery system. Also, interlock is illegal in Canada for some reason, so another set of hassle.

I think account fee is like $30 or something (part of Delivery), which is robbery. I also heard that it's illegal to go off-grid, but I could be wrong.
My last bill had $60 for electricity and $50 for delivery, so it will make a difference, but percentage wise, not a lot.
Setting a minimum monthly amount to be connected to the grid is tricky, but I don't think that it is illegal to go off-grid. In the US you have some states where they have been upping the account fee. That gives some people an incentive to leave the grid. But the grid still costs the same amount to run, so you end up spreading those costs over fewer customers. You could end up with a situation where more and more wealthy homeowners leave the grid, pushing up costs for those that remain.

Reactions: KevinT3141

That is wicked low usage. My electricity charges are around $550/month. But I have a large house with two ACs, a pool, hot tub, lots of PCs, Tesla, etc.

I now have four months of usage data. I haven't driven very much through the summer so I haven't charged a lot but I still save a little bit on ULO vs TOU. But in my last billing period ULO was marginally more expensive:
1695672427953.png

Note that my usage if very high compared to most people as I have a large house with two ACs, plus a swimming pool and hot tub.