Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Center Console

Do you need some organization in the center console?

• Yes, give me some way to keep my stuff organized.

Votes: 105 62.5%
  • No, I like the open console.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I don't care much either way.

Votes: 31 18.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't the current offering actually appeal to almost everyone? Some people seem to want that space empty. For those that don't, it appears Tesla listened and will offer something to be installed later.

The design of the center console certainly has pushed a few of my buttons, heck I've posted 3 times already on this. That being said, there is really no reason Tesla could not have implemented a solution such as onlinespending suggested and keep the remaining console open as bonnie1194 desires. I don't think it is an either or solution and as I pointed out in my previous post, there are front wheel cars that do have both a open console and enclosed storage area. IMO the transmission tunnel argument is a red herring as there are front wheel drive cars that provide both storage and open space between the front seats.

At the end of the day, does the current Tesla console design meet or beat it's competitors. Based on how I currently use my car I don't think they do as the lack of enclosed storage space is a big drawback for me. Tesla needs to demonstrate to me how I can do away with storage I thought I needed.

That being said, there is really no reason Tesla could not have implemented a solution such as onlinespending suggested and keep the remaining console open as bonnie1194 desires. I don't think it is an either or solution and as I pointed out in my previous post, there are front wheel cars that do have both a open console and enclosed storage area. IMO the transmission tunnel argument is a red herring as there are front wheel drive cars that provide both storage and open space between the front seats.

Very good point. The current solution appeals to those that want an open space (the minority of folks) but offers NO center console storage for those that want it (the majority of folks). Even a solution that is a predominantly open space but offers some small compartments would please both camps. It doesn't not have to be all or nothing as you said. That's what I mean by an uninspiring solution, as it currently ignores the majority of people that want center console storage. They had the opportunity to come up with a pretty slick solution that both offers storage, yet still highlights the open space gained by the lack of a tranny tunnel. They did the simple and obvious thing, just leave it open.

The more I think about it, I agree with Dave and Bonnie. What do I have I my car that I need? Not much. I need a place to charge my phone, stash my sunglasses at night (I don't wear them at night), and hide the mints. It dawns on me that everything else in my car is trash. I think I'll see how the negative space goes and if I want a console and TM offers a innovative solution, I can choose to get it.

For someone who cleaned out my car last weekend (and it was about a year overdue) I had about everything you could imagine in my car. I found about 65 pens/pencils/sharpies that were not in my briefcase. Probably a thousand napkins. And well most everything I didn't actually want/need in my car.

These currently reside in my door pouches:
Sunglasses: There NEEDS to be a spot for at least 1 pair preferable 2-4 pairs. I am a little concerned about where I will store these
Away key ring: I have 4 key rings 1 resides in my car. This can go in the glove compartment.
Credit cards: These can go anywhere, I don't see a problem finding a spot

These reside in my ashtray:
RFID ID bades/keycards: I keep these in the ashtray. Why do I have 5? I only use 2 regularly I hope there is a convient place to reach these while driving into my work gate.
Chapstick: I keep this in the ashtray. Would really like a convient place that can be cleaned after it melts all over.

This resides in my trunk in compartments under the floor (next to the spare). I bet it ends up in my frunk:
Multi tool: The bicycle kind. Sometimes I keep my leatherman in the same spot.
Flashlight: Actually headlamp
Batteries for flashlight: Headlamp is still in packaging.
Water Bottle: In trunk. I normally have 2 unopened bottles.
VAG-COM cable: No better place to keep it. Won't make it to the S.

In the back seat:
CD Case: Will finally make it into my house.

The stuff in my glove compartment that will stay there:
Napkins
Tire pressure gauge
pens/pencils/sharpies
tag paperwork
title paperwork
phone audio cable
phone charge cable
portable usb Li-Ion charger battery device x2
car book (I hope they give us a printed book)
USB Stick

Very good point. The current solution appeals to those that want an open space (the minority of folks) but offers NO center console storage for those that want it (the majority of folks). Even a solution that is a predominantly open space but offers some small compartments would please both camps. It doesn't not have to be all or nothing as you said. That's what I mean by an uninspiring solution, as it currently ignores the majority of people that want center console storage. They had the opportunity to come up with a pretty slick solution that both offers storage, yet still highlights the open space gained by the lack of a tranny tunnel. They did the simple and obvious thing, just leave it open.

Shouldn't we wait to see what GeorgeB was talking about when he said they would definitely be offering accessories? It sounds like there will be something for that space which should at least offer more space to organize a few loose things like coins, glasses...etc

One of the things I actually like about the lack of a center console is that my knee doesn't hit anything. I almost got an Audi A6 about 12 years ago but went with the roomier Volvo S80 due to the center console invading the drivers compartment forcing me to rest my knee against it.

Shouldn't we wait to see what GeorgeB was talking about when he said they would definitely be offering accessories? It sounds like there will be something for that space which should at least offer more space to organize a few loose things like coins, glasses...etc

Yes, however my concern is Tesla is using a business model of charging for items that should have been included. The 25% gross margins is a lofty goal and tacking on accessories is one way to meet that goal. I'm trying to be an EV adopter, but for gosh sake my pockets while deep, aren't the Grand Canyon.

Yes, however my concern is Tesla is using a business model of charging for items that should have been included. The 25% gross margins is a lofty goal and tacking on accessories is one way to meet that goal. I'm trying to be an EV adopter, but for gosh sake my pockets while deep, aren't the Grand Canyon.

I agree that they need to keep from appearing to nickel and dime people with options but a permanently installed center console takes up the empty space that at least a few people want to keep open. Hopefully whatever option they offer isn't overpriced.

One of the things I actually like about the lack of a center console is that my knee doesn't hit anything. I almost got an Audi A6 about 12 years ago but went with the roomier Volvo S80 due to the center console invading the drivers compartment forcing me to rest my knee against it.

I agree, We should wait rather than spout off! If they have multiple versions you may be able to find storage that fits your personal use better than a generic one fits all factory version.

I agree that they need to keep from appearing to nickel and dime people with options but a permanently installed center console takes up the empty space that at least a few people want to keep open. Hopefully whatever option they offer isn't overpriced.

At the risk of repeating myself, the solution didn't have to be either all open space with no console (as it is now) or a permanent console that leaves no empty space (as you suggest). Tesla could have very easily come up with a solution that provides a large majority of open space, but some compartmentalized storage. Win win! And even if the console accessory placates the needs of the majority, it'll likely come at an additional cost when it quite frankly should not.

I'm kind of surprised the NHTSA doesn't have something to say about this. The glove box can store some of the projectiles, but not all of them. Reaching into the glove box while in motion for sunglasses seems like a dramatic headline waiting to happen.

At the risk of repeating myself, the solution didn't have to be either all open space with no console (as it is now) or a permanent console that leaves no empty space (as you suggest). Tesla could have very easily come up with a solution that provides a large majority of open space, but some compartmentalized storage. Win win! And even if the console accessory placates the needs of the majority, it'll likely come at an additional cost when it quite frankly should not.

I understand what you're asking for and hopefully Tesla will provide accessories that work for you. It looks like there is a small amount of storage in the center arm rest already but it doesn't look like much and a decent sized glovebox. They could offer different size slip-in storage units for that empty area to suit personal preference. Other than cost, this does provide maximum flexibility. It'd likely be made of the same plastic the rails are made of so shouldn't be too expensive.

Only reason this open space exists is because it represents a huge cost savings to Tesla. Some people may see it as innovative, but lets be honest here its an easy and cheap shortcut for the design team to take, at this point.

If you want a closed storage, get a tasteful padded box. For open storage, drawer organizers could be used to keep things from scooting around.

"tasteful padded box" and "drawer organizers" is a contradiction in terms. This is going to be a $100k car, I don't want a plastic drawer organizer from Target.

Wallet - in my jacket pocket. Might need a place to put it in summer. Will probably end up in cup holder.

So don't use the cup holder for drinks?

Phone - Yep. Need a place to put it. Will probably end up in cup holder along with wallet.

So, really no drinks?

Sunglasses - glove box

Dangerous.

Change - not needed in car. What would I use it for ?

Tolls and parking.

Hand sanitizer - glove box
Mints - nope.
Dry cleaning tickets - nope.
Tissues - glove box

Talk to SWMBO about that part of the list!

I'm willing to bet that either Tesla or someplace like Al & Eds will offer after- market customization. No reason not to do so.

This car is likely to cost me around $100k and I need to go "after-market"??

* and 100% of the 2 women participating in this discussion feel the space is perfect, just as it is. :)

The 51% in my relationship doesn't agree with you.

Right now there are only 1/4 of respondents who actively want the open console.