Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion: New 60D or Used P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at buying a Model S w/ rear facing seats. I'm looking at either buying a 2013/2014 P85 (no autopilot, but basically everything else) for around 60K, or a new Model S 60D for around 75K (post tax rebate). And wanted to hear other peoples opinions.

I figure that although the 60D has reduced range over the P85, (218 miles versus 265), that in real life the range difference would not be that great. As a current Leaf driver, I know that charging to 80% is key for preserving battery life. So my speculation is that the 60D would always be able to be charged to 100%, since it is software limited to ~78% of true capacity. Does this actually hold true?

Some pros of the old car include: 21" wheels, sunroof, and faster 0-60, free superchargers

Some pros of new car: Can enable HW2 AP, potential Self driving car options, so more future proof.

What do people think?

So I'm looking at the CPO cars from Tesla, which include the 50K/4 year warranty, which is nice. But does my assertion about the 60D being able to charge to 100% hold true, or did Tesla cap the battery on the low end, not on the high?

Also, how much does 21" wheels and Active suspension affect ride quality?

I would go 60 or 60D. Facelift styling, ability to add AP and better build quality being the biggest reasons in my mind.

The full charge on the 60 has been covered extensively on this forum with the official tesla answer being "we don't reccomend charging to 100% every day even with the 60".

But I believe it has been tested via supercharging rates and other means by forum members and the conclusion is that the battery is essentially charged to 80% or so when software limited 60 is charged to 100%.

Definitely get the 2017 car. Its much more refined than the 2013 and early 2014 models. Not that earlier Tesla's aren't great, but it's definitely a different feel driving the newer models. Within moments, you'll appreciate the higher resolution dash screen, better seats, normal turn stalk layout, center console, and significantly quieter cabin.

So I'm looking at the CPO cars from Tesla, which include the 50K/4 year warranty, which is nice. But does my assertion about the 60D being able to charge to 100% hold true, or did Tesla cap the battery on the low end, not on the high?

Also, how much does 21" wheels and Active suspension affect ride quality?
21" tires cause a 3% hit on range.

I have both types of suspension and don't notice too much of a diff. The air suspension only has come in handy for me when parking and want to make sure I'm above the curb.

I concur w everyone else and would go 60D.

If you are interested in the rear facing seats I would order a new 75D Model X. It will be more expensive, but you will have more versatile seating options when your kids outgrow the rear facing seats. Additionally the X has a dedicated rear HVAC system for the rear passengers whereas the rear facing seats in Model S suffer poor ventilation.

Reactions: Dax279
Having just (in OCT 2016) done that exact thought process, I can tell you that I opted for the new 60 over the CPO P85. While the P85 performance definitely tickled my interest, ultimately, it came down to which car am I most likely to want to drive for the long term. That made it simple. The 60 battery (i.e., the limited 75 battery) is easier to protect, and the newer fit and finish, not to mention the additional perks offered by current AP hardware makes the 60 the hands down choice IMO. The 60 has plenty of performance, and has yet to disappoint me as a driving experience, and I am constantly glad to have the full warranty, as well as the current hardware. I don't even think the loss of free unlimited supercharging would make a big difference to me--I drive on average about 60-70 miles per day, and have never yet needed a supercharger. When we go for a long road trip, I expect that paying for the electricity would not be a big factor (MUCH cheaper that petrol, and I NEVER thought about that as an ICE driver... although I am glad that my car is "grandfathered in"...).

Go with the 60.

I'll buck the trend and say P85 but only if you're doing apples to apples.

At first I was on the fence however a 60D optioned out as I wanted was ~100k and that's without FSD or EAP enabled.

I got a CPO P85 with only 15k Miles for ~60k loaded with every option and it includes the 4yr/50k warranty.

We're talking about ~40k difference, that's the price of a new Model 3 which I also plan to get once they get the kinks worked out and catch up with production (2019? 2020?)

If you are interested in the rear facing seats I would order a new 75D Model X. It will be more expensive, but you will have more versatile seating options when your kids outgrow the rear facing seats. Additionally the X has a dedicated rear HVAC system for the rear passengers whereas the rear facing seats in Model S suffer poor ventilation.

I second this. Our first S had the rear facing seats. It was OK when the kids were little for short drives, but the poor ventilation made it bad for anything else. I put in my own fans, tinted the window, etc, just to make it usable.

The X 6-seat config is much better if you need >5 seats.