Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on Chill mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jpfive

Supporting Member
Oct 31, 2019
Pensacola, FL
I've been experimenting a little with chill mode. It is a different driving experience than my dual motor for sure. I know that it does not directly result in better range, but it is a nice change of pace for when I'm feeling in 'senior mode'. It feels like a very smooth and serene ICE car.

Stealth owner here, I daily drive in chill and steering in comfort mode. When I feel like it I have another driver profile which switches driving and steering into sport mode. But I agree in chill mode the car is very smooth and it also helps me from spilling my coffee all over my self.

Stealth owner here, I daily drive in chill and steering in comfort mode. When I feel like it I have another driver profile which switches driving and steering into sport mode. But I agree in chill mode the car is very smooth and it also helps me from spilling my coffee all over my self.

There's a smoother launch from stoplights as the accelerator is doling out less power per amount of depression. It is still linear, like a rheostat, but with less total punch. It's a nice change of pace, and makes me behave. The power reduction feels like it is more than 50%. My butt measurement is on the order of 40% or less. Still sufficient though, and I suspect there is some dividend in longevity. I wonder if anybody has tried to document power output, and performance figures in chill?

DaErik did this test. He got roughly the same 0-60 as my Chevy Bolt.

Thanks, is a bit better than I thought.
While I would not mind Chill Mode on occasion but I would always think to myself what if some situation happens that I need to defensively avoid by slamming the pedal. Just the potential for that, has me keep it in Sport Mode all of the time*

*exception being I do plan on using Chill mode and lower regen when driving in snow storms. Has not happened yet but it will.

Just my opinion...but chill mode should be called valet or teenage learning mode as that's all I believe it's good for. Why would you want to limit your max power on the road? Just use your leg if you want less acceleration. I actually consider chill mode borderline dangerous when merging on interstates or passing on two lane local highways.

Reactions: JasonR67
I'd like to make a quarter mile pass in Chill mode, but for what my local dragstrip charges and for as long as I have to wait around between runs waiting for all the high powered slick tire cars to blow up on the track every 10th run and waste my time and my money on their stupid cleanups, I find it hard to waste a whole run when I know it'll be slower. I would like to get numbers though, someone who has one of those dragstrip meters should make us a video of Chill vs non-Chill street 1/4 mile runs, not just 0-60.

More names for Chill Mode:

Wuss Mode
Why don't you learn to drive Mode
Why'd you even bother buying a Tesla Mode

I keep in chill mode most of the time. No need in heavy urban driving and I like mellow.

Flip to regular when on 2-lane road that usually needs passing. My wife got pulled over passing - she had accelerated to 93 while passing on a 50 mph stretch. She sweetly smiled at the cop who let her off.

Reactions: Massive Attack
The "feel" of Chill mode actually does two things:
  • The power to the motor is slowed down, kind of like a rubber band on your accelerator input if that makes sense. Inputs are smoothed out and slightly delayed.
  • Of coruse, the maximum power is reduced.
The first point is what makes it really useful in Winter driving conditions. That rear motor just likes to test its limits even with gentle throttle application. If you're in a situation that you ideally can't slip even just a bit (e.g. very icy road), then Chill mode helps a lot. And for the less treacherous but decidedly slippery times, it tames it enough that you have to act very intentionally to cause any slip at all. This is in the context of appropriate winter tires of course.

Just my opinion...but chill mode should be called valet or teenage learning mode as that's all I believe it's good for. Why would you want to limit your max power on the road? Just use your leg if you want less acceleration. I actually consider chill mode borderline dangerous when merging on interstates or passing on two lane local highways.

See above. Good for snow/ice driving conditions. But do you also consider slower vehicles dangerous for merging? I'm not saying a "slow" vehicle, just slower. Chill mode probably makes it act like my last car (Honda Crosstour V6) which had tons of power for the average person for passing, merging, and climbing hills. Keep in mind cars are also much quicker than they were just 20 years ago.

I find that passengers have a lot less issues with queasiness when I run Chill mode along with Low Regen. My theory is that bumps, of which there are many on S. Cal freeways, cause minor throttle variations which are move impactful for passengers in Standard/Standard modes. Of course, it could just be my old, wobbly right foot that thinks it should be to the mat, eh? :)