Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on window tints - Pearl White 19inch Silver Slipstream

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting window tints tomorrow on my Pearl White Model S with 19 inch silver slipstream wheels. Looking for some opinions on the tint percentage and the film type. I am thinking about 35% on back and rear windows and 50% on the front. I don't want the windows to be too dark. My primary purpose is heat reduction and better looks from outside.

I have 3 options with films:
1. Suntek CXP - $240
2. Llumar CTX - $380
3. 3M Crystalline - $580

Based on the darkness that I am looking at and CA bay area sun, does it make sense to pay more for #3 as compared to #1? Would you guys say that #2 is a good option to go for? Is 35/50% a good option?

What do you guys in CA have?

Thanks!

I tinted my windows last month. I went with 40% on all the door windows, 35% on the rear hatch and 90% on the windshield. I too, went for mostly heat rejection and kept it very classy and not so dark. It looks great and yet is extremely useable. Having the tints equal on the front and rear doors in my opinion make a much more consistent and attractive look.

I went with Llumar PinnacleOne (sides and rear) and Llumar Air Clear on the windshield. These films are premium ceramic. They cost more, but I've used them on my previous cars (mostly BMWs) since the early 2000s and love it. First, the tint has a grey tint to it rather than a bronze or green tint that some of them have. I just prefer that grey tint color myself. Heat and radiation rejection is quite good - not the very best, but definitely in the top 20%. They are also pretty "optically clear" - even though they may be 40% (or more), they look lighter than other tints at that same level - I guess less reflective? Hard to describe. But they look like an extra strong factory tint rather than screaming "aftermarket". Never had any problems whatsoever with LEOs.

I also have a great installer - his fine work together with this great film equals long lasting satisfaction. I had a BMW that was 10 years old with this tint, and it still looked outstanding (mostly identical to new) after those 10 years. That BMW had PinnacleOne 45%...and I would have probably went with that again, but it seems that Llumar ditched the 45% in the PinnacleOne series at some point in the last 10 years...I had to chose between 40% and 50% for the sides and I went with the 40%. Perfectly happy with it.

The LLumar Air Clear is pretty 'clear' as you'd expect. You really don't notice it to any degree, but it further reduces heat and radiation. I say further, because my installer confirmed that Tesla's have a very unique built in heat tint in the factory glass. He says that in his many years in the business, only Tesla and either Bentley or Bugatti (it was one of those) had this kind of windshield glass. But having that little extra bit of heat and IR rejection from the windshield made the marginal extra cost worth it to me.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
4DF7A7EA-ED6D-4DA3-8F42-09515169EB03.jpeg
I have a Pearl white Model S with the same wheels and similarly light interior (you have the new Creme, I have Ultra White). I think the lighter interiors can “take” a bit darker of tint (assuming it’s high quality) without becoming too dark. This is what my 40% sides looks like - at least in this shaded parking garage.

• Helpful
I am getting window tints tomorrow on my Pearl White Model S with 19 inch silver slipstream wheels. Looking for some opinions on the tint percentage and the film type. I am thinking about 35% on back and rear windows and 50% on the front. I don't want the windows to be too dark. My primary purpose is heat reduction and better looks from outside.

I have 3 options with films:
1. Suntek CXP - $240
2. Llumar CTX - $380
3. 3M Crystalline - $580

Based on the darkness that I am looking at and CA bay area sun, does it make sense to pay more for #3 as compared to #1? Would you guys say that #2 is a good option to go for? Is 35/50% a good option?

What do you guys in CA have?

Thanks!

I did Huper Optik ceramic(75% on the front, 30% on the back seats, 10% on the hatch) and it's been fantastic. Got it done at Mr. Tint for $614 after tax(with a 10% discount for filing a yelp review).

I had Huper Optik on my RS4 and loved it. It was Ceramik 40 and it wasn't too dark that I looked like a gangster, yet after 4 hrs of the car parked in the sun, nothing inside was too hot to touch (and the entire interior is pretty much black.

I want to get my Model S done but there aren't any HO dealers nearby.

I also like Huper Optik - had it on windows and French doors in my previous home. Worked great. Haven’t used it personally in automobiles but assume it’s also very good there. That said, I think most will find PinnacleOne (which is also ceramic) to be a great alternative to HO if HO isn’t readily available.

• Informative
Thanks for the pictures and the tips guys.

My car’s getting tinted as we speak. Decided to go with Llumar CTX 15% back (based on Cameron’s light interior tip) and 35% front. The shop owner was very confident that it will look great and will block lots of heat. So we will see... :)

This is where I’m getting it done. It’s got great reviews on Yelp and they’re about $115 cheaper than OCDetailing in Fremont for the same film - ACJ Window Tinting - Hayward, CA

Also this guy told me to save my money on the front windshield since it’s already about 80% factory tinted by Tesla and come back if I really feel the need for it.

Will post some pictures once it’s done.

Turned out a little bit darker than I expected (and wanted). oh well...

Attachments

• FBD0BF6F-8067-480C-BC5B-0C1E5450EBB9.jpeg
    FBD0BF6F-8067-480C-BC5B-0C1E5450EBB9.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 358
  • A3645538-950C-40B7-91FD-DA4638C10B80.jpeg
    A3645538-950C-40B7-91FD-DA4638C10B80.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 388
  • A3B3D5C3-5D5E-42DA-8BF3-EBC096865CC2.jpeg
    A3B3D5C3-5D5E-42DA-8BF3-EBC096865CC2.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 370
Turned out a little bit darker than I expected (and wanted). oh well...

I almost went with 50% myself but then because of the white interior, my tint guy (who I trust because of using him for 14 years) said he thought we could do 40% without being too dark. I didn’t have the guts to do 35% though. So kudos for being braver than I was.

I was also told that Tesla windshield had a special tint but adding the Llumar Air Clear to windshield wasn’t all that much more so I just did it. Whatever the factory heat rejection on the windshield is, I just lowered it another 10% or so. And subjectively it does feel that little bit cooler. Is it “worth it”? Maybe, maybe not. But it was to me.