Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that's what an interior should look like. I would pay an extra $1500 for that console.

+10

That was the interior I was hoping for all those waiting years. The moment I first saw pics of the real production interior I almost lost all my faith in Tesla designers and the Model S in general. And seeing that pic of the prototype interior again makes me feel "yuck" when I think of the production version. Ghastly in comparison, no elegance, simply the idiotic "as much empty space as possible" doctrine. Two thumbs down once again.

There needs to be a place to put a microfiber cloth. Right now I use one of the cup holders. But am constantly moving it from one side to another.

I use a small eyeglass microfiber cloth to clean the touch screen and I keep it in the little cubby that is created by the silver hand hold extrusion by the door handle. It seems to work quite well there for me to have quick access to it and to also have it basically be hidden from sight.

I'll echo prior comments by saying that I've found the lack of storage to be a non-issue since I've had the car. I realized that I hadn't even opened the center console storage in my old car in at least 2 years and had no idea what junk was in there, and when I cleaned out the storage slot in the door I realized it was just a bunch of unnecessary junk too (a seven year old VHS tape. . .really???). The only storage areas I actively used in my old car were the glove box (which provides some out-of-sight storage) and the cubby--the same storage areas I now have in my S. Sometimes I think more storage just invites more clutter. I've also adjusted to the placement of the cup holders--still not ideal, but manageable. The lack of rear cup holders is really the only issue along these lines that I still view as a real design oversight, but I just see it as so trivial in the grand scheme of things that I choose not to worry about it.

I'll echo prior comments by saying that I've found the lack of storage to be a non-issue since I've had the car. I realized that I hadn't even opened the center console storage in my old car in at least 2 years and had no idea what junk was in there, and when I cleaned out the storage slot in the door I realized it was just a bunch of unnecessary junk too (a seven year old VHS tape. . .really???). The only storage areas I actively used in my old car were the glove box (which provides some out-of-sight storage) and the cubby--the same storage areas I now have in my S. Sometimes I think more storage just invites more clutter. I've also adjusted to the placement of the cup holders--still not ideal, but manageable. The lack of rear cup holders is really the only issue along these lines that I still view as a real design oversight, but I just see it as so trivial in the grand scheme of things that I choose not to worry about it.

i use my center console to store my id badges for different hospitals, parking cards and a couple pens. i'm sure i'll find another way but i do find that useful currently.

Well, I for one like the production interior MUCH better than that prototype. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I'm just glad I appreciate the designers'.

I agree with you. Very happy about the production interior, except the cup holders. As long as I get that opportunity console with the dual holders in front under the cubby/screen I'm golden. I'll use the existing cup holders for concealed storage then.

It seems that most of you are single or couples without young children - I thought the Model S (with its gigantic interior storage and optional jumpseats) was mainly aimed at families. And those (like ourselves - two kids, 1 and 5 years old) always have loads of things to store on roadtrips.

Our Honda CRV doesn't really have any internal storage either, just a fold down center console that doesn't hold much. I don't know, we always have tons of stuff when we head out with our child, and it's all in bags we toss on the back seat or in my wife's large handbag or a backpack that would sit behind the passengers feet in other cars, but now has a place to live in the center channel. The only concealed storage apart from the trunk (or the frunk in the case of the S) that I've every used in any car I've owned is the glove box. I also like putting my laptop bag in the center channel rather than on the passenger seat when I go to work.

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The photo is the prototype by
Hauptburg industries in production in end of
May costum orders

I understand the production model will match the trim of the car.
I saw the model and the Storage Compartment is huge.Here is a photo of this
I like it and will be ordering one form my Tesla in July
View attachment 18652

I hope that crude thing ends up being much more sophisticated. Soflauthor's CC1 is a much better design with vastly superior aesthetics.

I understand the production model will match the trim of the car.
I saw the model and the Storage Compartment is huge.Here is a photo of this
I like it and will be ordering one form my Tesla in July
View attachment 18652
Constructive feedback: The cup holders are too close together and too narrow a diameter for large cups. Same problem as with the current cup holders. One solution is to offset two larger diameter cup holders diagonally.