Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not convinced that I need any sort of semi-permanent console mod; but I certainly don't like loose, messy items rolling around in the console recess of my elegant Tesla.

I've been looking for a solution; and I've finally discovered one that works very well for me.

I found this little soft tote at Michael's crafts store here in Austin, and it works perfectly. It fits snugly into the space and neatly holds glasses, pens, sticky notes, phone, and anything else I want to have within easy reach. Actually everything is much more accessible than when I had to grope around under the console lid on my prior car while trying to drive at the same time.

I hope you find this helpful.

View attachment 13682

Get a shoulder strap for that thing and you've got a fine purse. :smile:
I'm still not sure that fits my idea of elegant concealed storage but its better than all that crap rolling around in that gutter.

Speaking of a purse, is there still enough room for your wife to put her purse in there next to it? I know my wife is really looking forward to that aspect of the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received my invite to configure my Model S and excited by that but STILL DISAPPOINTED that the front center console is basically a track in the floor board with a two cup holders and small compartment at the elbow. Why not add a raised console to keep phone, pen, paper, loose change for tolls, parking etc or a larger lockable compartment? Imagine reaching down to the floor for a quarter and blasting the toll both.
Let's get a console that is usable. This has been going on way too long....

Just received my invite to configure my Model S and excited by that but STILL DISAPPOINTED that the front center console is basically a track in the floor board with a two cup holders and small compartment at the elbow. Why not add a raised console to keep phone, pen, paper, loose change for tolls, parking etc or a larger lockable compartment? Imagine reaching down to the floor for a quarter and blasting the toll both.
Let's get a console that is usable. This has been going on way too long....

Hi Fred,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree, but in the meantime perhaps this thread might be of interest to you.

Soflauthor's center console insert

Larry

For those that are in semi-regular contact with Tesla folk these days...

Has anyone heard a whisper about the Opportunity Console options in the last month? I suspect its been quietly killed internally... like the pano shade.

Has anyone heard a whisper about the Opportunity Console options in the last month? I suspect its been quietly killed internally... like the pano shade.

I sure hope not! I DEFINITELY want to buy both a front console and the rear seat storage armrest! I will be very disappointed if they simply go silent on this issue and pretend that they were never working on a solution.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not convinced that I need any sort of semi-permanent console mod; but I certainly don't like loose, messy items rolling around in the console recess of my elegant Tesla.

I've been looking for a solution; and I've finally discovered one that works very well for me.

I found this little soft tote at Michael's crafts store here in Austin, and it works perfectly. It fits snugly into the space and neatly holds glasses, pens, sticky notes, phone, and anything else I want to have within easy reach. Actually everything is much more accessible than when I had to grope around under the console lid on my prior car while trying to drive at the same time.

I hope you find this helpful.

By the way, despite joking that this looks like a purse I immediately went to Michael's and bought one. I'm happy to report that they are currently 40% off which dropped the price to only $8. I'm not crazy about the colorful fabric on the inside but hopefully you won't be able to see that very well when it's full of stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

I sure hope not! I DEFINITELY want to buy both a front console and the rear seat storage armrest! I will be very disappointed if they simply go silent on this issue and pretend that they were never working on a solution.

I don't have any inside information, but the two situations may not be comparable.

For the sunshade Tesla continues to state on its website that it is free with the purchase of the panoramic roof. It just never committed to when the shade would be delivered. :wink:

In contrast in the case of the consoles and rear storage, Tesla never went on record regarding pricing, so there appears to be an additional profit opportunity for offering these as options.

The problem is that if they continue to remain totally silent they can lose a profit making opportunity. For example, I asked Tesla on a number of occasions the status of the premium floor mats and never received a satisfactory answer. As a result I decided to go ahead and order a complete set of third-party custom mats after being surprised to learn that I needed at least rear floor mats anyway since Tesla was not providing them. Very strange. :confused:

Likewise the longer Tesla remains silent the more likelihood that other third-party alternatives will fill this void. I spoke to the General Manager of a high-end custom interior shop, and he is very familar with the Tesla interior situation and is very anxious and capable of provide these services to Model S owners. Tesla went to the trouble of initiating this thread some time ago and they really owe it to their customers to provide some some sort of indication whether they remain serious about pursuing these earlier commitments.

Larry

Likewise the longer Tesla remains silent the more likelihood that other third-party alternatives will fill this void. I spoke to the General Manager of a high-end custom interior shop, and he is very familar with the Tesla interior situation and is very anxious and capable of provide these services to Model S owners.
Hi, Larry:

You make a great point: silence from Tesla opens a market opportunity for aftermarket suppliers. I increasingly comfortable with the limited storage up front in the Model S, but the complete absence of anything in the rear will be a problem once we open the house in Maine. I know that @soflauthor is working on a (front) center console, but I would love to see your custom interior contact's ideas for both a front and a rear console. There's no obvious reason why Tesla Motors is the best source for these add-ins (aside from a comparative advantage in matching decor trim and leather).

Hi, Larry:

I know that @soflauthor is working on a (front) center console, but I would love to see your custom interior contact's ideas for both a front and a rear console. There's no obvious reason why Tesla Motors is the best source for these add-ins (aside from a comparative advantage in matching decor trim and leather).

I'm sorry I should have been clearer. This gentleman runs the custom shop at duPont Registry in Tampa. I wasn't visiting him to do custom work on my Model S, he's probably too rich for my blood. He also runs a monthly exotic car meet-up and I was there to discuss what would be involved for our club members to participate.

Larry

@soflaauthor are you selling stock or planning an ipo? ;)

We're privately held :)

I'm enjoying following this conversation, but can't comment further on the merits of our solution on this thread, except to say that competition is good, and often results in the best product for the consumer.

With respect to Larry's comment on a solution offered by a custom shop -- after having done substantial research on "custom" solutions by shops that specialize in the genre, it's very likely that any center console solution offered by a custom shop will cost at least $1.5 to $2K and probably more.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care if there is a console? I mean of course there need to be more cup holders, but why would you want to fill up the back seat(and lose functionality)? I think it showcases the lack of conventional transmission in the front when the floor is flat:cool:

Am I the only one who doesn't really care if there is a console? I mean of course there need to be more cup holders, but why would you want to fill up the back seat(and lose functionality)?

Well, I would like some hidden storage that can be easily reached by the driver for things like gloves, work dog tag, phone charging cord, driving sunglasses, kleenex, etc. The cubby would work for a couple of those items if it had a door--but it doesn't. Otherwise that stuff will just be loose in the centre area and roll around. Plus it will be visible to anyone looking in.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care if there is a console? I mean of course there need to be more cup holders, but why would you want to fill up the back seat(and lose functionality)? I think it showcases the lack of conventional transmission in the front when the floor is flat:cool:

I'm certain you're not the only one. I've seen many comments from folks who like the open space. I don't think I will. I'm gonna buy soflauthor's CCI as soon as he gets to me on the list. Just a personal preference.

On day 1 with the car we had a family dinner and took home 2 centerpieces:

IMG_3342.JPG

Dimensions of the center channel

Sorry if this has been discussed but I searched and cannot find the answer.

Can someone who has their Model S already please post the inside width of the center channel both where the cubby is and beneath the armrest, and the length between those two points?

I'm thinking of looking for some kind of covered black plastic organizer and need to know what would fit. If I find anything that looks promising I will post it.

This is unexplainable to me. The Tesla is a solid 10 in almost every way in which you can compare it to other cars. Performance, efficiency, looks, handling, UI, you name it. But it gets a solid 1 in the area "interior storage space". Yes, a 1. I have owned about fifteen cars so far, and driven about a hundred different rentals. The Model S is by far the car with less storage available. Even my old ´92 Miata had waaay more storage space than the Model S. My tiny Mercedes SLK two-seat convertible about quadruples the storage space of the Model S (one large glove box, two large lidded compartments between the seats, one between the back rests and two slots behind the seats, plus pockets in the doors). My Toyota Sienna has four large lidded storage boxes, six small lidded ones and about ten "pockets". My Model S has one tiny, tiny globe box that barely fits the manual, and not one single pocket. It is ridiculous.
Do people really never, ever have to keep anything at hand in the car?
To me the bare minimum a car has to be able to fit is:
A pair of gloves
a small emergency kit (nothing big, the typical one sold at Walgreens is adequate)
a pair of glasses or two
A set of glass-cleaning wipes
A microfiber cloth
A phone charger or USB cable
Somewhere for a trash bag (I am appalled that modern cars don't have a formal trash box, a lined trash box would even be a revenue source for the manufacturer in the form of form-fitted replaceable liners).
A compact umbrella.

And a few other small things.

If this was a mediocre car, or even a regular "great" car, I would accept that maybe it scores a 3 in one category, designers can't do everything perfectly. But that a car that managed to outdo every other car out there in almost every single category underperforms every other car in the planet by a wide margin in one of the most trivially solvable aspects is bizarre.