Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimum No Rise and Wax - Trying to avoid swirl marks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno. The use of distilled water does help when using ONR,
but so far I can't get it to dry spotless unless I dry it down to just
slightly moist with a towel. Assuming that ONR is carrying some
dirt, as per its miraculous mission in life, if there's any of that
solution remaining on the car, it's no longer just distilled water,
so evaporating the water will predictably leave some contaminants.
But that's with No-Rinse ONR. If using a water-only rinse, who knows?

This contraption probably helps, but I somehow doubt it's 100%.
Anybody try something like it? How about the more professional
water purifiers? Do they let you set a car aside all beading with
(clean) water in the sun and not touch it with a drying towel?
Do you use the two towel method? One damp, one dry?

I have never had a problem with water spots with ONR

Wife and I bonded last night ONR'ing the cars. Fine
gloss, fun time together. Came out this morning to find
a road crew at work, sawing into the roadway, and both
cars FUBAR, covered in evil fine grit cement dust.

20190819_094622-1L.jpg

Awesome. QD strength?

They recommend 1/256 dilution for general wash, that's
3 teaspoons (15 milliliters) per gallon, and 1/64 for QD,
touch-up.

Also if I pre-rinse with plain water to get all the dust off,
there's water already "there", so to then spray it on, more
than the 1/256 dilution makes sense. But not too much.

No problem drying. 1 bit-damp and 1 fully-dry microfiber
drying towels. Distilled water leaves no residue.

BUT I still dream of a magical no drying required system.

I've been evaluating different drying aides after ONRWW. I started using Optimum Spray Wax but felt that I was always applying too much product which resulted in more buffing which is exactly what I didn't want- more physical contact. Now I'm evaluating Bead maker vs Optimum Instant Detailer mixed with 20% OSW for my drying aide. I'm not sure which I prefer yet. I think I need to dilute my OID/OSW mixture with a tad more distilled water (which would then be 4 parts distilled, 1 part OID, 1 part OSW). I really do love the smell and find washing my Tesla enjoyable...

I've been evaluating different drying aides after ONRWW. I started using Optimum Spray Wax but felt that I was always applying too much product which resulted in more buffing which is exactly what I didn't want- more physical contact. Now I'm evaluating Bead maker vs Optimum Instant Detailer mixed with 20% OSW for my drying aide. I'm not sure which I prefer yet. I think I need to dilute my OID/OSW mixture with a tad more distilled water (which would then be 4 parts distilled, 1 part OID, 1 part OSW). I really do love the smell and find washing my Tesla enjoyable...

I think air drying is probably the best... a small-ish shop vac that can run in reverse (so to create a jet of air rather then sucking) that is ONLY used for drying, or at least is cleaned well before hand. You don't want to sand blast dirt and stuff at the car. Second option would probably be an electric leaf blower, but it probably would be wise to first use it to blow away all the dust and sand and rocks from a drive way before washing the car so it doesn't kick all that stuff up after the wash. It's more hardware to invest in, but then you hardly have to touch the car, especially if it's just dust and dirt you're washing off. Bugs still pose a little issue that needs some force but just a foam cannon, soak, and pressure wash seems to get most daily dirt off the car and then air powered drying.

I think air drying is probably the best... a small-ish shop vac that can run in reverse (so to create a jet of air rather then sucking) that is ONLY used for drying, or at least is cleaned well before hand. You don't want to sand blast dirt and stuff at the car. Second option would probably be an electric leaf blower, but it probably would be wise to first use it to blow away all the dust and sand and rocks from a drive way before washing the car so it doesn't kick all that stuff up after the wash. It's more hardware to invest in, but then you hardly have to touch the car, especially if it's just dust and dirt you're washing off. Bugs still pose a little issue that needs some force but just a foam cannon, soak, and pressure wash seems to get most daily dirt off the car and then air powered drying.
I actually bought a cordless blower with the intent of using it this way....but I didn't really like it. Too noisy, too OCD, too much work unless your car is SUPER slick, etc. I've gone back to quality microfiber drying towels and trying different spray on rinsing aides....

Been using green ONR for years and I find it to be best when using more than the recommended amount. I usually put in 4-5 cap fulls into 1 gallon of water. The car doesn't come out cleaner, but tends to last much longer on the car. I can go 6-8 weeks without actually washing the car - the rain does it for me :)

Reactions: KenC
So, @acarney, you don't use ONR? Foam canon,
water rinse, then forced air drying?

With ONRWW that bit of wax demands a hint of a
'Wax removal" rub, that also helps with lifting away
the dirt, after all, it has to go somewhere. And then
the slightest friction from a waffle-weave microfiber
drying towel buffs up the best gloss. I don't see how
we can avoid some meat-and-potatoes contact with
the clearcoat, since the drying towels get a bit dirty too.

Never tried a blower, but it would have to come after
all the crap has been lifted, so with ONRWW it seems
like it would follow a first pass drying?

These various "drying aids", what exactly do they do?
I can't find a Hyper Seal, @Ckanderson. Do you
mean Opti-Seal?

Last edited:
So, @acarney, you don't use ONR? Foam canon,
water rinse, then forced air drying?

With ONRWW that bit of wax demands a hint of a
'Wax removal" rub, that also helps with lifting away
the dirt, after all, it has to go somewhere. And then
the slightest friction from a waffle-weave microfiber
drying towel buffs up the best gloss. I don't see how
we can avoid some meat-and-potatoes contact with
the clearcoat, since the drying towels get a bit dirty too.

Never tried a blower, but it would have to come after
all the crap has been lifted, so with ONRWW it seems
like it would follow a first pass drying?

mean Opti-Seal?

I don’t, but I’ve only had the car for seven days. So far the plan (and single wash I’ve done) is pressure wash the car to get it wet & remove some of the dust and maybe some bugs. Adam’s Mega foam via electric pressure washer and soak. I broke my own suggestion a little with a few touches with microfiber soaked in Adam’s on really stuck on bugs, but then just power washed the soap off. I don’t have anything to blow off the water yet so I did a pat down and 90 degree temperatures helped :p

I’m not really worried about the glass, so thankfully that’s a large portion of the car that I can just wash and dry fairly normally. I’m getting a full front PPF applied so that should ease up my worry on putting a little physical touch into removing bugs and stuff down the road. Then just doors and the rear will stress me out :p

A lot of people are discovering Optimum No Rinse. It's
a new polymerthing that lifts off dirt at low concentration
in water. You dust or pre-soak, then wipe with microfiber
towels soaked in ONR 1/256 solution, the dirt comes off
into the microfiber, and then you dry with microfiber drying
towels, it requires no rinsing. Look into it. I've had great
luck with the "ONR with wax" formulation, it leaves a little
carnauba. There are some very finicky people with very
finicky technique using ONR, but to give you a general idea:

The M3 roof glass is reported to be tricky, there's a UV
filter in it that makes it more fragile, and allegedly it can
be ruined, go figure. So read up on it. I just wax and wash
with ONR on all the glass.

I refuse to spend money on PPF. I'm an engineer and the
way I look at it, it's actually softer than the clearcoat, and
has to be babied. But that's a personal choice of course.

Last edited:
mean Opti-Seal?

Here is a good description of what drying aids do from Leno's garage. Basically, they provide lubrication. You are most likely to induce swirls and scratches when you rub a completely dry (non-lubricated) towel on the paint:

What are the benefits of using a drying aid?

Something important to understand is that any time you physically touch (fingers, hands, towels, mitts, dusters, cloths, etc.) your vehicle’s paint, you have the potential to scratch, swirl or mar the surface. Because of that, we want to lubricate whatever tool (wash mitt or drying towel in this case) as much as possible. You lubricate your wash mitt with soap & water during the wash process, and now you can lubricate your drying towel as you dry.

Other benefits of a drying aid:
  • Prevents water spots
  • Provides a super high-gloss finish
  • Seals paint & glass with a durable synthetic-coating
  • Helps repel water & dust
As for Hyper Seal, it is only sold through the Opti-coat website:

Opti-Coat Hyper Seal 16 oz. - Opticoat

Reactions: Bill Foster
Here is a good description of what drying aids do from Leno's garage. Basically, they provide lubrication. You are most likely to induce swirls and scratches when you rub a completely dry (non-lubricated) towel on the paint:

What are the benefits of using a drying aid?

Something important to understand is that any time you physically touch (fingers, hands, towels, mitts, dusters, cloths, etc.) your vehicle’s paint, you have the potential to scratch, swirl or mar the surface. Because of that, we want to lubricate whatever tool (wash mitt or drying towel in this case) as much as possible. You lubricate your wash mitt with soap & water during the wash process, and now you can lubricate your drying towel as you dry.

Other benefits of a drying aid:
  • Prevents water spots
  • Provides a super high-gloss finish
  • Seals paint & glass with a durable synthetic-coating
  • Helps repel water & dust
As for Hyper Seal, it is only sold through the Opti-coat website:

Opti-Coat Hyper Seal 16 oz. - Opticoat
Exactly. And yea it’s a bit expensive for a bottle but it does last a really long time. As in a year or more

I thought the whole ONR idea was superliscious
lubricity. How many more layers of lube are there
to sell? Isn't it a little like several condoms at once?
You'd worry the poor protected skin would pale and
shrivel from lack of sun and air! ;-)

Here is a video on using drying aids from Optimum, the makers of ONR:

Many people do not use a drying aid at all. But I personally feel that using a drying aid will 1) increase slickness 2) increase gloss 3) increase protection left behind and 4) reduce the chances of scratches and swirls.

But don't take my word for it. I suggest you experiment yourself. Next time you do an ONR wash, try drying one panel with a dry towel. Then dry the next panel with a drying aid.

My favorite drying aid, as I have mentioned on other posts, is Hydrate by Ammo NYC. You basically dry your car using a wet towel. Yes, you can dry with a wet towel. That way, you never touch your paint with a dry towel.

Here is a youtube review of Ammo Hydrate:

Finally, some people like using forced air such as leaf blowers or dedicated car dryers. I personally do not like these, as I think the odds of blowing dust and dirt into the air and back onto your car are high. But I could be wrong.

And do not use chamois or drying blades. Way too much risk of scratching the paint with these.

Here is a video on using drying aids from Optimum, the makers of ONR:

Many people do not use a drying aid at all. But I personally feel that using a drying aid will 1) increase slickness 2) increase gloss 3) increase protection left behind and 4) reduce the chances of scratches and swirls.

But don't take my word for it. I suggest you experiment yourself. Next time you do an ONR wash, try drying one panel with a dry towel. Then dry the next panel with a drying aid.

My favorite drying aid, as I have mentioned on other posts, is Hydrate by Ammo NYC. You basically dry your car using a wet towel. Yes, you can dry with a wet towel. That way, you never touch your paint with a dry towel.

Here is a youtube review of Ammo Hydrate:

Finally, some people like using forced air such as leaf blowers or dedicated car dryers. I personally do not like these, as I think the odds of blowing dust and dirt into the air and back onto your car are high. But I could be wrong.

And do not use chamois or drying blades. Way too much risk of scratching the paint with these.

I'm sure more dust and rocks hit your car while driving than from a leaf blower.

Even if your car is magically cleaned to perfection with zero scratching, one tiny rock or mist of sand will scratch up your clear coat.

I'm sure more dust and rocks hit your car while driving than from a leaf blower.

Even if your car is magically cleaned to perfection with zero scratching, one tiny rock or mist of sand will scratch up your clear coat.

Of course, when you are driving around town, your car is exposed to all sorts of things that can scratch the paint. But when I am washing my car with ONR, it is usually right before I am applying a sealant. I want as little dust and debris on the paint as possible before applying a sealant.

I think what we are talking about here in this discussion is minimizing scratches and swirls that are induced by washing and drying techniques. The goal is not to have a magically perfect car.