Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options Pricing for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy Model 3 reserver here, approximately 105,000th in line, and first post! I have recently just become aware that in Canada the premium for the Performance package on the Model S is nearly 30k, and why our dollar is in the tank at the moment, is there any sense of what the performance upgrade will cost for the Model 3, in either USD or CAD?

Any insight or help would be appreciated... I am totally on board to pay the 3-5K for AWD, but I am trying to guestimate how much I need to set aside for options! Thanks in advance, fellow Tesla aficionados!

Reactions: Forza 11
Depends on when you want the car I guess.

If what Elon says is true (highly optioned go first), and the Model X is an indicator of how things will be, the upgraded battery pack is probably required if you want to see your car before 2019. Remember, the first year of production (if not year and a half or more) is probably sold out at this point.

Just my worthless guess, but if Elon thinks the average sale price will be 42K (his words), I'm thinking 50 is where "highly optioned" begins. That probably isn't highly optioned for an S or X (relative to base price), but I have a feeling that it may be a reasonable guess for a 3 given that a decent chunk of those reservations probably just want to spend 35K.

All of the talk over on the Model 3 Owners page is that $45-50,000 should get you a very well equipped car. Larger battery, dual motor, glass roof, autopilot, upgraded interior, etc. I tend to think it might be a little more than that for all those features but I am budgeting $50,000 for mine and I hope to have all of the above.

Dan

I would take all of the options pricing for the S and X which are very similar or the same for most options I think, and apply that to the Model 3. We know dual motor will be cheaper, and probably the larger battery won't be 13k, but I would assume everything else is the same for budgeting purposes and have it be a happy surprise/bonus if it's cheaper. I'd rather be pessimistic now than be too optimistic and then be bummed when pricing is revealed.

As mentioned above though, there are several threads where people are speculating about options and have even given links to their google docs spreadsheets for calculating costs.

That does seem low for all those features, if only because of the upgraded battery. I can't see it being any less than 50K for all those things, that's for sure.

All of the talk over on the Model 3 Owners page is that $45-50,000 should get you a very well equipped car. Larger battery, dual motor, glass roof, autopilot, upgraded interior, etc. I tend to think it might be a little more than that for all those features but I am budgeting $50,000 for mine and I hope to have all of the above.

Dan

For what it's worth (absolutely nothing!) here are the Model S upgrade prices for what I would get on a Model 3:

Base Car $35000
Dual Motor $5000
Larger Battery $13000
Paint Upgrade $1000
Autopilot $2500
Interior Package $3000
Sub Zero (heated seats and wheel) $1000
Panoramic Roof $1500
Leather Seats $2500
Wood Décor $750

Total $65250

Ouch!!

I hope these numbers come down somewhat!

Dan

For what it's worth (absolutely nothing!) here are the Model S upgrade prices for what I would get on a Model 3:

Base Car $35000
Dual Motor $5000
Larger Battery $13000
Paint Upgrade $1000
Autopilot $2500
Interior Package $3000
Panoramic Roof $1500
Leather Seats $2500
Wood Décor $750

Total $65250

Ouch!!

Dan

If those number come close to what you have, then I see probably half the reservations going away. And if that happens then so will Tesla. Musk advertised an affordable $35k car plus the tax credit and I bet a huge chunk of people who reserved are expecting a $35 car, not $50k

Base Car $35000
Dual Motor $5000
Larger Battery $13000
Paint Upgrade $1000
Autopilot $2500
Interior Package $3000
Panoramic Roof $1500
Leather Seats $2500
Wood Décor $750

Total $65250

Ouch!!

Dan
Yer right - Ouch. If these are the right prices...I may not buy leather/interior/wood at $6,250. Vegan may be enough. Subzero package in the desert is not a requirement either. But the rest of those options seem to be not optional.
How big is base battery? and how big is optional battery? I've heard (soft word, no fact) 50 kWh base and 100 kWh top end. That may be worth $13k. but 60 to 75 kWh would not seem like a good value.

Perhaps this comparison is more accurate.

A base Model S with nothing on it is about $70,000. A maxed out Ludicrous Mode, every option Model S is about $140,000...about twice the price.

A base Model 3 with nothing on it is about $35,000 (we think). A maxed out Ludicrous Mode, every option Model 3 is about $70,000? That would be about twice the price.

No idea if that train of thought would hold any water or not.

Dan

My pricing guestimate based on Model S and X...guess prices can only come down, so this is **probably** worst case..unless they raise prices. Gotta pay to play.....

upload_2016-4-22_12-21-48.png

Reactions: MP3Mike
My pricing guestimate based on Model S and X...guess prices can only come down, so this is **probably** worst case..unless they raise prices. Gotta pay to play.....

View attachment 173495
Are you saying that the "90" will be awd...no option? and that is a component to the $13k and $33k upgrades?
Did I read that right - you think that P90D will add $33,000 to the base? Doubling the cost of the car with one option?
I so hope you are way off base. Got nutten to argue with, just OMG I hope you are wrong.

If those number come close to what you have, then I see probably half the reservations going away. And if that happens then so will Tesla. Musk advertised an affordable $35k car plus the tax credit and I bet a huge chunk of people who reserved are expecting a $35 car, not $50k

I have no doubt that you will be able to get a pretty nice car for the $35,000 advertised. I was just adding up the options that I would get based on current Model S prices for the same options. I think much of these upgrades will be less in the Model 3 so hopefully the final number will be closer to 50K. That's a lot of car for 50K, at least in my opinion.

Dan

Are you saying that the "90" will be awd...no option? and that is a component to the $13k and $33k upgrades?
Did I read that right - you think that P90D will add $33,000 to the base? Doubling the cost of the car with one option?
I so hope you are way off base. Got nutten to argue with, just OMG I hope you are wrong.

Just using the S configurator and prices. The S 90D has AWD included. Difference between the base S 70D and the base S P90D is 33K. Did not factory in % of price..just going off price difference between base S 70D and base s P90D. If S/X option prices are indicative of Model 3 option prices...the options will bring the price up very quickly...no different than other car companies...

View attachment 173495
Don't forget $10,000 ludacrus option = $99,500.lol...So the Model S battery upgrade (90D)includes dual motors for $13,000 but the next upgrade P90D costs $33,000 for the same battery,but larger rear motor?Remember the $5,000 upgrade is for base model / Dual motor

If you look at the price for the base model S and X, then max out the cost of both cars there is a increase of appx. 70% of the base price.

So, based on using this same appx. percentage, the maxed out value for the Model 3 will be appx. $60,000 with all the bells and whistles.

Reactions: AUSinator

View attachment 173495
Elon has already tweeted that the Dual motor option will be less than $5k. How much less is up for debate but I think it's fair to assume that the M3 options will cost less than the S & X options. I'm hoping I can get AWD, upgraded battery, autopilot, winter package, and maybe one or two other small options for low $50's and have the Federal credit get me to around $45k.