Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options Pricing for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just using the S configurator and prices. The S 90D has AWD included. Difference between the base S 70D and the base S P90D is 33K. Did not factory in % of price..just going off price difference between base S 70D and base s P90D. If S/X option prices are indicative of Model 3 option prices...the options will bring the price up very quickly...no different than other car companies...

You have to check many boxes to double the price of a Model S 70...and not just getting to Ludicrous. You have to add things like leather, smart air susp, etc to get there.

I highly doubt you'll double the price of the Model 3 just on drivetrain. They're going to want you to check some interior, paint, and roof options too.

I own the S60 and did reserve the Model 3. I envision the M3 option pricing can be 80% of MS so the M3 and options I want are:

Base $35,000
Battery Upgrade $10,400 (280-300 range)
Metallic Paint $800
Pano Roof $1,200
Next Gen Seat $2,000 (hope this is part of the base offering)
Wood Décor $600
Auto Pilot $2,000 (hardware enabled, pay for AP software, I think)
Premium Upgrade $2,400
Premium Audio $2,000
Total $56,400

I placed my reservation on the Model 3 about 48 hours after the launch (yeah, I'm slow on the uptake), so I am around the 300,000th customer. I know that the official option list has not been released, but I have a question as to the stereo system on current Model S cars.

From what I can tell they charge around $2500 for the upgraded 12-speaker system. I'd like to ask any current Model S owner with the premium stereo whether it meets your expectations? This may seem shallow, but having a good stereo system during the commute is critical for me. I don't care so much about the other bells and whistles.

I know this isn't what you're looking for but what kind of audio system could you have put in it for $2500? Or even $1000?

Dan

In the case of BMW they actually have three audio systems. In the United States all cars get the "business" audio and it pretty much sucks (and it's actually the mid-level system, I can only think about how horrid the base level one is). Harman Kardon upgrade is about $1000 and is a massive upgrade. Car gets better drivers, more of them, better subwoofers, much better amps, 7 channel user programmable EQ, etc.

I would have a very hard time justifying a $2,000 audio upgrade on a mid-size sedan. At that price I would be tempted to just go with an aftermarket speaker upgrade.

Again comparing to BMW there are several "drop in" replacement kits for the factory audio that bring it to a whole new level and don't require professional installation.

Again comparing to BMW there are several "drop in" replacement kits for the factory audio that bring it to a whole new level and don't require professional installation.

The BMW selling model is somewhat like Henry Ford's and more. Allegedly, Ford's MO was to sell the car as cheaply as possible to the masses but make his money on 'parts' (maintenance). Remember, back then you could get a Ford in any color you wanted as long as it was black. There were no options.

I don't know what the mystic is about BMW, but I suspect their cars spend a lot more time in automotive service departments than any Tesla will. I think 'extra' maintenance is built into the car. Before I would pay $2,000 for an audio upgrade, I would take delivery of whatever it came with and install a top-tier system for half the price. Besides, at 68 my hearing cannot much tell the difference between a $100 system and a $2,000 system.

My BMW requires a service visit once a year or 10K miles. Incidentally Tesla recommends an annual service on their cars.

The difference is the maintenance on my BMW is included for four years or 50K miles. On the Tesla it is $565 a year.

My BMW requires a service visit once a year or 10K miles. Incidentally Tesla recommends an annual service on their cars.

The difference is the maintenance on my BMW is included for four years or 50K miles. On the Tesla it is $565 a year.

Not really an indicator of how much time the vehicle will spend in the shop, even if the maintenance is free. My 2013 Toyota Prius had free maintenance for two years. But other than synthetic oil changes and 'inspections', it hasn't seen a day in the shop for a maintenance issue. One case doesn't cover all vehicles but it's a great reason to park a Toyota ICE vehicle next to one's Tesla.

My third car, a 1997 Toyota Camry, hasn't seen a day in the shop for other than oil changes since I acquired it two years ago. I'll be proud to park it alongside my M3 and hope the Tesla can match it.

Last edited:
It would be nice if tesla would give us some option pricing so we can all budget early for the options we want, who knows when that will happen

I'll bet the first we see of options pricing is when the employees get let into the configurator and post screen shots for us here (hopefully). So it probably won't be until pretty late in the game.

It would be nice if tesla would give us some option pricing so we can all budget early for the options we want, who knows when that will happen
Budget for an optioned Model S, and then be pleasantly surprised when the Model 3 is less expensive. I want a fully optioned model so I'm going to budget for 80k. I'm going to have nowhere near that much cash, but if it's closer to 60k then I might actually get approved for financing for the difference haha.

Note: When referring to the Model 3 I always like to say "less expensive" than use the word "cheaper"

If by some miracle the fully loaded model is $60k or less expensive than the base model BMW M3 then I'm going to be one happy camper.

Now back to selling my organs on the black market...

Budget for an optioned Model S, and then be pleasantly surprised when the Model 3 is less expensive. I want a fully optioned model so I'm going to budget for 80k. I'm going to have nowhere near that much cash, but if it's closer to 60k then I might actually get approved for financing for the difference haha.

Note: When referring to the Model 3 I always like to say "less expensive" than use the word "cheaper"

If by some miracle the fully loaded model is $60k or less expensive than the base model BMW M3 then I'm going to be one happy camper.

Now back to selling my organs on the black market...

LOL, I'm budgeting for ~$75K. Not sure if I'll need "Premium Interior Package" or UHFS.

But I'm probably checking every other box, even tow package after some thought.

I'll have just about enough to buy the car outright on delivery. If not, I'll take out a small car loan and use the sale of my Audi to pay that off and replenish my savings.

I've planned for a Dec 2017-ish delivery, and obviously the further to the right that slips on the calendar, the better...for my savings anyway. Obviously I want the car sooner. :D

I'll bet the first we see of options pricing is when the employees get let into the configurator and post screen shots for us here (hopefully). So it probably won't be until pretty late in the game.

This is probably the most likely scenario, but I think we may get some vague ballpark numbers out of Elon at Reveal Part Deux.

Something along the lines of "expect to pay roughly (fill in the blank) dollars US for a Ludicrous Mode Model 3".

and then of course, we will all jump on here and try to extrapolate the cost of the car, based on a vague number like that....cuz it's what we do here, apparently. LOL

Reactions: Jskillz860
LOL, I'm budgeting for ~$75K. Not sure if I'll need "Premium Interior Package" or UHFS.

But I'm probably checking every other box, even tow package after some thought.

I'll have just about enough to buy the car outright on delivery. If not, I'll take out a small car loan and use the sale of my Audi to pay that off and replenish my savings.

I've planned for a Dec 2017-ish delivery, and obviously the further to the right that slips on the calendar, the better...for my savings anyway. Obviously I want the car sooner. :D

I placed my reservation around the 360,000 mark. And I'm on the east coast. I plan on getting middle of the road options, somewhere around 50,000/55,000 dollar range. If I get more than middle for that price than I'll also be happy haha. Planning on getting it hopefully before mid 2018. We will see!

I placed my reservation around the 360,000 mark. And I'm on the east coast. I plan on getting middle of the road options, somewhere around 50,000/55,000 dollar range. If I get more than middle for that price than I'll also be happy haha. Planning on getting it hopefully before mid 2018. We will see!

I reserved around 10:30am ET on the 1st day, so I'm in the top ~115,000 worldwide, so maybe top ~100K US..... (but all of that speculation is for another thread. LOL)

I think if you're approaching 55K, you'll probably have either all of the interior options, Dual Motor, but maybe not max battery.

Or you could end up with max battery, no interior upgrades.

Depends on what you want, really. I see you're in CT, so I'll assume you're at least going with Dual Motor.