Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options you would like to see in the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt it will be. The rear motor intrudes into the space under the seats. The 3rd row will fold flat, but not be removable.

Hmm, that would be a problem. We need the height for the dogs. I wonder if the 2nd row is removable? That would work too. As long as we can put the seats back in when we (rarely) have other people with us. No kids, just two large dogs.

I do hope they figure out the roof section to accommodate ski / snowboard racks with the Falcon doors. I head to Big Bear every year, so this would be very important to me as I'm sure many are also on this boat.

If using the roof rack made only one Falcon door open fully would that be acceptable? or would you rather see a compromise where the roof rack had a mechanism where it would lift straight up above the doors or tilt back to avoid the doors? Both lift and tilt will add weight, complexity, maintenance and cost to the rack.

I don't believe that opening both the falcon doors straight out will be an option as that would be a safety risk for egress.

If using the roof rack made only one Falcon door open fully would that be acceptable? or would you rather see a compromise where the roof rack had a mechanism where it would lift straight up above the doors or tilt back to avoid the doors? Both lift and tilt will add weight, complexity, maintenance and cost to the rack.

I don't believe that opening both the falcon doors straight out will be an option as that would be a safety risk for egress.

I do hope they figure out the roof section to accommodate ski / snowboard racks with the Falcon doors. I head to Big Bear every year, so this would be very important to me as I'm sure many are also on this boat.

An option that might make sense
This could be partially addressed by a narrower roof rack (ex Yakima Rocketbox) that takes up only half the roof. (92 x 24 x 16). When installed the X would be sense the rack is latched and only allow one of the Falcon wings to raise. Wouldn't work for everyone but does provide a reasonable option for many and would be pretty cool. I'm sure with some ingenuity Tesla could work with Yakima or Thule to design a roof rack to lock into a hidden roof latch that wouldn't require supports across the whole roof. Same approach could certainly be done for a bike rack and kayak rack.
View attachment 22820

@aronth5, yeah exactly and I'm wondering what others think about the tradeoffs and the question about kayaks in particular (aka something that wouldn't make a lot of sense to be on the rear tow hitch or even towed.

Personally, it would be cool if could be placed on one side without having a complex lifiting/tilting solution. Also, I believe the X will already sense obstacles above so this shouldn't be an issue. I wish Model S did this with the rear hatch as a low ceiling in a parking garage had exposed nails coming out of the insulation and would have done serious damage had I not stopped it from going all the way up.

My must have, should have and nice to have list

I would like to chime in with a few. (Listed in order of importance)

I'm still debating whether to put "Ultimate safety" up in the must have, but at this point I don't think its a show-stopper. Given that Tesla is a technological leader and committed to safety I would almost say it should be required for this model.

Must have
  • Fold flat (and optionally removable) 2nd and 3rd row seating
  • "parktronics"[SUP]1[/SUP]

Should have
  • Ultimate safety (blind spot / adaptive cruise control / drowsy detection / crash protection & collision avoidance, etc...)
  • 100-120 kWh battery options
  • Tow hitch
  • Dash or console fridge / drink warmer &/or cooler
  • Heated & cooled seating

Nice to have
  • Drive-In / camping mode
  • HUD
  • V2G / V2V[SUP]2[/SUP] charge support
1. "parktronics" are a must. It can save lives and property and is simple to do. After all a human is still driving and we all make mistakes.
2. V2G = Vehicle to Grid and/or V2V = Vehicle to Vehicle charge transfer support would come in handy. How many electric s'mores can a Model X make while camping comes to mind? :wink: How many friends saved the day when someone's range estimate was a little off and needed a little 'boost' to get to the Super Charger? :cool:

I doubt it will be. The rear motor intrudes into the space under the seats. The 3rd row will fold flat, but not be removable.

Where does this info come from? We talked to a Tesla employee last weekend and he said the motor does not currently intrude into the space under the back seats in the S, so there would be no reason for it to do so in the X either, especially since it will be even taller. The seats will be sitting higher off the ground, providing plenty of space underneath.

Where does this info come from? We talked to a Tesla employee last weekend and he said the motor does not currently intrude into the space under the back seats in the S, so there would be no reason for it to do so in the X either, especially since it will be even taller. The seats will be sitting higher off the ground, providing plenty of space underneath.

It was a simplification of the Model S design. As is clear from pictures of the Model S skateboard frame, the rear engine does consume vertical space above the battery pack. While the space under the seats may not specifically be intruded into, the motor still does intrude upwards aft of the rear seats.

The original question was regarding if the rear seats could be removed. In most vehicles with removable rear seats, the rear seats can be removed to create a large flat cargo area. Given the vertical space consumed by the rear engine, the a flat cargo area from the passenger compartment straight back to the trunk isn't going to happen. I suppose that the Model X could have removable seats with a hump in the floor for the engine, but I think it's much more likely that the rear seats will not be removable, and maximal cargo space will be obtained through fold flat seats.

The Tesla employee is probably factually correct regarding intrusion into the back seats in the Model S, but the difference between intrusion into the seats and trunk versus intrusion into the trunk alone makes little difference to the original question.

The Tesla employee is probably factually correct regarding intrusion into the back seats in the Model S, but the difference between intrusion into the seats and trunk versus intrusion into the trunk alone makes little difference to the original question.

Well, since I'm told the motor does not intrude into the back seat area of the S and I see no intrusion of the motor into the trunk area of the S, I see no reason why it should intrude into any of the X. Time will tell. We will only know when the X comes out, which he said will be next summer (I believe he said late next summer) before it shows up in showrooms.

I can cross my fingers and hope.

Well, since I'm told the motor does not intrude into the back seat area of the S and I see no intrusion of the motor into the trunk area of the S, I see no reason why it should intrude into any of the X. Time will tell. We will only know when the X comes out, which he said will be next summer (I believe he said late next summer) before it shows up in showrooms.

The motor clearly intrudes into the possibly trunk area of the S. If it didn't then there wouldn't be the covered lower trunk area. It would just be flat from the floor of the passenger compartment clear through to the lower trunk. Yes, it doesn't feel like an intrusion, but if you took out the rear seats, there would be a hump coming up from the floor of the passenger compartment. That's what I was describing as the intrusion into the trunk area.

As for the Model X, anything is possible. The increased height might open up the possibility of a flat cargo area with the seats removed, but I doubt it. Regardless, once Tesla has Alpha and Beta cars manufactured, we'll know a lot more.

Can you expand on what you think this entails?

Drive-In / camping mode: A carry over of the drive-in issues / solution from this thread...

Drive-in problems (and solution))

When put into Drive-In Mode:
Headlights Off
Volume Control
Auto Wipers
no cabin lighting activations when doors or liftgate open
display in night mode and at lowest brightness
activate surround sound
radio tune
DND phone

When put in Camping Mode:
all Drive-In Mode things above less the Auto Wipers and DND phone
+ display off
+ auto level
+/- others depending on what this baby gets. :)

ok, the X6 is a very similar style of car and i absolutely love the looks. ive never owned a bmw and have no plans on buying one but i sure would like to see Tesla make the Model X a little more ballsy like the X6 is!!!!!!!!!!!

I currently drive an X6 and think that the Tesla X looks very similar to my car. I've also owned 2 X5s I greatly prefer my X6, which brings me to:

If you want a large 2nd row and a big cargo space, why not just get the Model S today? Is it the AWD, or something else that has you waiting for the X?

Why would I get an X over the S? I prefer the raised ride height. And until they put cup holders in the rear seat of the S, I won't buy one. Its just too hot in Texas to not let your kid have a beverage. So I will drive my car that gets 14mpg (or buy another one) until they put cup holders in the back. Or until someone builds another electric car that can drive the pants off of my car I guess. (I'm holding my breath...)

I'd prefer that the third row seat be optional too. I'd never use it and I don't want to pay for something that I'd have to find a place store for at least 3 years. Let those who want it pay more and those that don't pay less. Just like BMW does for the 3rd row in an X5.

And that brings me to the giant thing that I'd like improved in the X over the S -- make those front cup holders not stupid. You shouldn't have to reach behind you to get a cup. And the cupholder set should fit at least 2 32oz cups (hey -- I'm not asking for super-giant big gulps here, just regular old 32oz size cups). My cup holders are in prime use location and we still have accidents. Putting them in a stupid location and making them too close together is just asking for trouble. A beverage incident is not what you're looking for in your rolling ball of electronics, is it?

Soft close doors would be a nice addition. :) Once you've forgotten how to close doors, you don't want to go back!

My wishlist:

1. ventilated seats (best "all" 4seats - only Range Rover offer this...)
2. soft close doors
3. 4 zone clima.
4. HUD
5. RSE

and i am not talking about things what Model S already have....(air susp., pano-roof, rear camera...etc.)

My wishlist:

1. ventilated seats (best "all" 4seats - only Range Rover offer this...)
2. soft close doors
3. 4 zone clima.
4. HUD
5. RSE

and i am not talking about things what Model S already have....(air susp., pano-roof, rear camera...etc.)

I see in your signature that you upgraded your Model X reservation to a Signature? Sweet, congrats! May I ask for the date you got that #81? Thanks in advance.. Would like to put that in the tally.