Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order new or buy from existing inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems there's always 2-5 new/demo vehicles in any area for sale right away. If one of these matches your options, what's the pro/con of just buying an existing one versus ordering one? I assume the only pro is you get the vehicle sooner. Anything else?

Tesla is going to go crazy selling Demo's this month, since it's the last month of the quarter.

If you can save a few thousand, get the demo unit. They should all have hardware 4 by now. Tesla has also been putting the rear side PPF on the rear doors on their demo units. So that's a bonus.

Tesla will want to clear their decks of current model 3's when they begin production of Highland refresh. Their pricing will probably depend on the pricing of the new Highlands, their stock and demand at that time. Will be hard to determine which will be the best value for you at that time.

Tesla is going to go crazy selling Demo's this month, since it's the last month of the quarter.

If you can save a few thousand, get the demo unit. They should all have hardware 4 by now. Tesla has also been putting the rear side PPF on the rear doors on their demo units. So that's a bonus.
Sorry, but this made me laugh out loud!!!! $50!

• Funny
Reactions: El joe
Whichever you decide, use one of our referral links :)

I bought my car from Tesla's inventory during the time when it was super hard getting your hands on a Model Y. (weeks/months waiting for one). Luckily for me, I ordered and one or two weeks later, I saw one matching my order and called them immediately and got the car way ahead of everyone else.

If you see an inventory Y that meets your specs save yourself a few thousand and pick it up. There’s no difference between a new inventory and a custom build, besides the price.
Obviously demo would be up to you to decide if the discount is worth the mileage.

If you see an inventory Y that meets your specs save yourself a few thousand and pick it up. There’s no difference between a new inventory and a custom build, besides the price.
Obviously demo would be up to you to decide if the discount is worth the mileage.
Yes. Bought an inventory 3 recently and was nervous. Would it have been a demo or was it rejected due to major imperfections?

No. Only differences with ordering were reduced price and I could pick up right away. Went so well I’m doing it again this week!

Reactions: Kairide
I think you are better off with a demo because the cars have been better tested and inspected. Most problems with cars occur when they are brand new and when they get old. The classic bathtub curve. By getting a demo you miss the early "infant mortality" failures.

Of course, this isn't perfect. I bought a demo two years ago and within a year of the purchase I had to get it serviced due to a faulty controller board. While it was at the service center they fixed a few other problems including a problem with the hatch not always opening. OTOH, I wasn't stranded and I could drive the car to the service center (2.5 hours each way) without any problems.

It seems there's always 2-5 new/demo vehicles in any area for sale right away. If one of these matches your options, what's the pro/con of just buying an existing one versus ordering one? I assume the only pro is you get the vehicle sooner. Anything else?
I ended up buying a M3 in 2019 that was a demo model. At that time, it took forever to get one. The car was flawless and I took that because it was a demo unit. It had 400 miles on it and I saved Grand or 2. I would buy a demo again.

I think you are better off with a demo because the cars have been better tested and inspected. Most problems with cars occur when they are brand new and when they get old. The classic bathtub curve. By getting a demo you miss the early "infant mortality" failures.

Of course, this isn't perfect. I bought a demo two years ago and within a year of the purchase I had to get it serviced due to a faulty controller board. While it was at the service center they fixed a few other problems including a problem with the hatch not always opening. OTOH, I wasn't stranded and I could drive the car to the service center (2.5 hours each way) without any problems.
The demo cars are that much cheaper than an inventory and you don't know how hard its been driven by previous people.
A demo car would have to be significantly less for me to gamble on.

If you buy from inventory you usually get the car sooner, but you can also get a great deal (a new car, I am not talking about Demo vehicles that are clearly tagged on the inventory page). Tesla's pricing algorithm for the inventory is very interesting and seem strange. Sometimes I see the exact same configuration on the page with two different prices ($500 to $1000 difference) - it looks like this is also driven based on pick up location and the supply/demand at that specific location. I live in the SF Bay Area and there are several delivery centers within 40 miles range - so I had flexibility. I ordered/configured my MY from the website, but then I checked the Tesla app multiple time per day for "early delivery" (inventory). After two days, I saw my exact configuration at Fremont for $1000 off. Since I had a referral code ($500 off) I was not sure if that works together. I contacted the advisor, who responded YES, both the inventory discount and the referral discount are valid together. Of course, by then the car was gone. So I checked the following days until I got my configuration at $500 off (plus $500 referral).

So, it is worth checking the inventory multiple times to get a really good deal. More difficult on a Y (higher demand), but I saw a Model 3 RWD at $4000 off the other day (see photo) and a 3 Performance at $5,500 off. It might be different in other locations/states - I can only speak for SF Bay Area.

Attachments

• Model 3 for 36k.png
    Model 3 for 36k.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 155
If you buy from inventory you usually get the car sooner, but you can also get a great deal (a new car, I am not talking about Demo vehicles that are clearly tagged on the inventory page). Tesla's pricing algorithm for the inventory is very interesting and seem strange. Sometimes I see the exact same configuration on the page with two different prices ($500 to $1000 difference) - it looks like this is also driven based on pick up location and the supply/demand at that specific location. I live in the SF Bay Area and there are several delivery centers within 40 miles range - so I had flexibility. I ordered/configured my MY from the website, but then I checked the Tesla app multiple time per day for "early delivery" (inventory). After two days, I saw my exact configuration at Fremont for $1000 off. Since I had a referral code ($500 off) I was not sure if that works together. I contacted the advisor, who responded YES, both the inventory discount and the referral discount are valid together. Of course, by then the car was gone. So I checked the following days until I got my configuration at $500 off (plus $500 referral).

So, it is worth checking the inventory multiple times to get a really good deal. More difficult on a Y (higher demand), but I saw a Model 3 RWD at $4000 off the other day (see photo) and a 3 Performance at $5,500 off. It might be different in other locations/states - I can only speak for SF Bay Area.
We ordered a Model Y LR with seven seats to replace my wife’s Model 3, but none were available soon enough so we looked at inventory cars. We ended up choosing a Model Y Performance because the prices were heavily discounted. We saw two identical MYPs, neither one a demo, one discounted by about $5,500, the other about $4,500. Unfortunately someone claimed the cheaper one before we could, but we got the other one. The discount was actually a little less when we first saw the listing, so it can change day to day. We’ll end up paying $3,000 less than we would have paid for the (less expensive) car we ordered. I got the $500 loyalty discount also. This is in South FL. We don’t get the 7 seats, but we get the P. 🙂

I already pulled the plug on a new Model Y in inventory. Was $1500 off which is normal for my area (DC). Will be here in two weeks. Now, I need to clean up my lease to turn in. My main concern is the tires. I don't think it will pass their inspection if they do it. I've leased six cars before this and never had an issue with the tires. Have a feeling I will with this return.

Reactions: tradosaurus