Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure that this person had more than enough time to get a loan from his credit union while he was waiting and postponing the delivery anticipating the tax credit. So he/she was gambling against uncertainty and lost.
Nothing to blame on Tesla.
The EDD jumps around so much. Why apply for financing only to have the offer expire before Tesla builds your car? I applied for credit through Tesla as my SA told me to and my credit application is about to expire bc Tesla has pushed back my EDD

The order agreement you signed says they only delay orders for 30 days.

No? What do you think they mean by this?

For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to
notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.
Now you got it right. You previously said "only" which was incorrect. Tesla states they "may cancel", which they often do not.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
for 4680 you will likely end up paying the current pricing.
They're not gonna let holds go long enough wait them out, AND get the Tax bonus.
4680 MY deliveries aren't likely much before Q2 22.
I'd like to be wrong. But the available evidence says not soon.
I couldn’t give a spit about some unicorn pipe dream tax credit that probably isn’t even coming.

I just want the latest and greatest.

Hold was automatically removed last night and I got a VIN this morning and a text this evening to schedule delivery for my M3P. F**k me lol. Tesla sure seems to be moving quick for these old orders.

I don't want another car right just yet (was originally aiming to take delivery around February). I'm not going to take delivery, so I'll let you all know what happens next.

Now you got it right. You previously said "only" which was incorrect. Tesla states they "may cancel", which they often do not.
Their policy is that you can have 1 single 30 day delay.

Period.

Now, some employees have previously allowed that rule to be broken. But that doesn't mean it's not the rule.

Half the people that are getting these cancelation warnings are upset because they believe that Tesla hasn't communicated well about what to expect, but it's very clear in the order agreement what to expect. People are just upset because they expect that Tesla will continue to allow people to break the agreement.

This is a classic example of someone being told exactly what the rules were, but they didnt like what they heard, so they're blaming the people enforcing the rules.

Tesla should have stuck to their guns day one and not allowed any exceptions. That would have weeded out all the people trying to game the system and overall would have provided a more consistent and easy to understand outcome for everybody.

Released my hold at the store a few hours ago. EDD on the app shows March to April for delivery but I was told there was about a 0% chance that I end up surviving December without getting a VIN assigned to me. The wait begins I guess. Will be interesting to see if they go through with unilaterally cancelling all the hold orders that received the December 2nd date.

Period.

That might be their current policy, but there is no set limit to the delay in the older contracts that they are threating to cancel prior to getting a EDD/VIN. Under those old contracts once you get a EDD/VIN assigned the contract states that you have 3 months to take delivery before they will cancel your order.

Last edited:
  • Funny
That might be their current policy, but there is no set limit to the delay in the older contracts that they are threating to cancel prior to getting a EDD/VIN. Under those old contracts once you get a EDD/VIN assigned the contract states that you have 3 months to take delivery before they will cancel your order.
I’m pretty certain Tesla can cancel your order at any time, for pretty much any reason, and simply refund your order fee. Good on them for going after the tax credit trolls gumming up the order books for months and months.

The 3 months / 30-day clause lets them cancel the order AND keep the order fee.

Period.

Now, some employees have previously allowed that rule to be broken. But that doesn't mean it's not the rule.

Half the people that are getting these cancelation warnings are upset because they believe that Tesla hasn't communicated well about what to expect, but it's very clear in the order agreement what to expect. People are just upset because they expect that Tesla will continue to allow people to break the agreement.

This is a classic example of someone being told exactly what the rules were, but they didnt like what they heard, so they're blaming the people enforcing the rules.

Tesla should have stuck to their guns day one and not allowed any exceptions. That would have weeded out all the people trying to game the system and overall would have provided a more consistent and easy to understand outcome for everybody.
Back in the day, Tesla needed/wanted to bend over backwards to be approachable, friendly, and sell cars.
Their EDD system isn't up to the task.
So now Tesla is trying to reel it all back in and people will get upset, but the lawyers who wrote the Purchase Agreement we all signed made a tight contract.

Man, you could start a very profitable saltmine from all the salt on this forum thread against folks who were playing by the exact same set of rules every other customer and Tesla were playing by until Tesla chose to play hardball due to the bind they find themselves in 😄.

I couldn’t give a spit about some unicorn pipe dream tax credit that probably isn’t even coming.

I just want the latest and greatest.
I know the common refrain here on TMC is "if you keep waiting for the next thing, you'll be waiting forever" but I really would wait another couple of years if I were you.

- HW3 is going to be replaced by HW4 at some point in the near future.

- The AMD infotainment upgrade is also likely in the pipeline.

- With 2 huge Gigafactories about to come online, supply is going to go up drastically and with a ton more capable competition over the next 2 years, prices are likely to come down and Tesla will likely be okay with reducing their margins once they are shipping out several hundred thousand more cars a quarter.

- Large castings, fit and finish + paint improvements and more color options are all seemingly on the cards with the new factories coming online

- 4680 cells will likely come to fruition within the next 2 years. If not, Tesla is going to have bigger issues to worry about.

Current M3 and MY are great but they have essentially been quite similar for a long time and there are some very meaningful upgrades on the horizon, coupled with a much more vibrant and competitive market on the horizon. I have my current MY on order because I have ancient cars and would really like to make the switch to an EV soon if I can get one for a great price with potential rebates. But I will definitely be waiting 2-4 years before upgrading my other car to an EV for all of the reasons above.

Back in the day, Tesla needed/wanted to bend over backwards to be approachable, friendly, and sell cars.
Their EDD system isn't up to the task.
So now Tesla is trying to reel it all back in and people will get upset, but the lawyers who wrote the Purchase Agreement we all signed made a tight contract.
I mean if you're going to double down hard on the terms of the purchase agreement, you should double check some of their wording that the 'lawyers' wrote. Tesla gave them an out on pretty much any of their contracts if they wanted to.

It's stated "We may also cancel your order and refund your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order or if we determine that you are acting in bad faith". The "acting in bad faith" is their cop-out, and I feel like its vaguely worded enough that they can use it to get out of any contract if they really wanted to (especially if someone like you or me has consistently pushed their order back). If they cancel your contract (if you indeed did put your vehicle back on hold after receiving the December 2nd e-mail telling you to not do that), I'm pretty sure that's a good enough indication for them to check off the box for acting in bad faith.

I was in the same boat as you, but decided to not gamble away the lower price of my vehicle for a potential rebate (that would literally equate to the cost of what I'm saving).

Furthermore, the guy who I talked to in person at the store today (same guy who I spoke to last week) gave me some more information about this program. If you were tagged in the December 2nd e-mail, it looks like the system will be doing periodic sweeps automatically throughout the system after this date. That is to say, if somebody took their order off hold and then put it back on hold again after December 2 in an attempt to dodge the first 'sweep' of cancellations this method wont work (because pretty much any sales advisor can put your order back on hold, and pretend to be blind to any consequences that might result from this). They pretty much plan to continue doing periodic checkups between now and the end of the year to see if the tagged accounts end up on hold at any point, and if they do, your order is toast.

Also, I should probably add I have no idea if you received the hard cancellation December 2 e-mail, or just one of the soft cancellations checking to see if you're still alive.

Anyone knows for sure whether Tesla is good with 30 day Hold period AFTER delivery date is scheduled? My order date is Sep5 with initial delivery scheduled for Nov 28th which was changed to Dec 7th. It’s already paid in full. With my travel planned for Dec 4th, I have to put the delivery on Hold (Out of country travel plans were finalized based on confirmed Nov28th delivery schedule)

Man, you could start a very profitable saltmine from all the salt on this forum thread against folks who were playing by the exact same set of rules every other customer and Tesla were playing by until Tesla chose to play hardball due to the bind they find themselves in 😄.
Meh, good on Tesla. If the tax credit was a prerequisite for a purchase, the buyer probably should have waited for it to be a thing. In the era of rising prices, government ineptitude, supply chain shortages, and deep order backlogs, Tesla is under no obligation to entertain what basically amounts to speculation by would-be customers.

Buy the car or don’t. If you insist on the tax credit, place an order once it’s law, at the current price, at the end of the line.

Meh, good on Tesla. If the tax credit was a prerequisite for a purchase, the buyer probably should have waited for it to be a thing. In the era of rising prices, government ineptitude, supply chain shortages, and deep order backlogs, Tesla is under no obligation to entertain what basically amounts to speculation by would-be customers.

Buy the car or don’t. If you insist on the tax credit, place an order once it’s law, at the current price, at the end of the line.
You're just repeating yourself. Like I said before, you come off as extremely salty, especially when you call most of the folks on this thread "tax credit trolls". Consider everyone here sufficiently chastised. Is the plan going forward to be this guy everytime someone posts something regarding the original topic here?

1592505362-nelson-haha.jpg