Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's the final update update:
- Original order placed (M3P) 3/2021
- My order was taken off hold automatically on 11/30
- VIN and delivery notification were received 12/1
- Messaged my advisor to let him know I can't take the car yet. VIN was unmatched and my order is gone from my account.

I'm not faulting Tesla at all - I understand they can't have orders sit open forever. The timing just wasn't right for me (and the price difference is only $1000 from current pricing). So that's what happens if you don't take delivery folks.

Mentioned this above. Unless you move the Delayers back in line where the people who are moving forward in line currently are, you screw over everyone in the middle as their EDD gets moved back.

How do you assign these slots? Start sending out tons of emails and moving people in front of others waiting for delivery? I don’t think January deliver people are going to move forward, so they get pushed back.

Why should Tesla invest a bunch of money on system changes to manage a problem caused by a few people trying to game the system?
There are just too many variables for a simplistic concept of 'fairness' to work out.

For instance, being pushed to the 'end of the line' is in fact a benefit for some, as the vehicle delivered this summer will be a lot different from today's.
Of course that assumes the customer can wait it out. But hasn't that customer already done so? What's a little more wait for him? He gets more for less.

And from Tesla's perspective, that different version vehicle could generate more revenue, not the less income your idea would result in for Tesla.
So from Tesla's perspective, clearing the order backlog books as quickly as possible makes some sense, despite it's effect on others pining for delivery.

It's just not simple, and there's pain in every direction.
However, let's remember, Tesla created this conundrum and it's their task to clean it up.
With the demand emails going out, perhaps they've recognized that at last.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I don't think anyone here strong-armed Tesla into putting a hold on their order? Not sure what is unreasonable about someone expecting Tesla to honor a hold date that they agreed to put in place.
You ordered a car. Tesla didn’t strong arm you into doing that.

Tesla is asking you to take delivery of it. How is that unreasonable?

That's not what it says.
If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first atiempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee

If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first atiempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee
Here is what mine says:
1638488229390.png

Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within three (3) months of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.

- Messaged my advisor to let him know I can't take the car yet. VIN was unmatched and my order is gone from my account.

I'm not faulting Tesla at all - I understand they can't have orders sit open forever. The timing just wasn't right for me (and the price difference is only $1000 from current pricing). So that's what happens if you don't take delivery folks.
Wow!!
That's disappointing..and I'm sorry for you..

Pretty much same thing with me except I didn't tell them that I don't want to take delivery yet.
However, somehow VIN is unmatched, EDD still says 12/2-12/9
Called customer support and they say it's due for delivery in Jan.... So not sure what's going on!
I'm ready to take delivery now if they have a car ready.. However, Jan will only make it better... Fingers crossed!

• Funny
There are just too many variables for a simplistic concept of 'fairness' to work out.
First in first out is deterministic and fair.

Everyone has the same opportunity to get the better pricing and the newer model. People who had the greatest expectation of getting the incentive will get it.
However, let's remember, Tesla created this conundrum and it's their task to clean it up.
That’s exactly what they are doing right now. Cleaning it up.

The only place I think they screwed up is not letting people know much sooner. Tesla is crappy at communications and this is a perfect example. Armed with a little foreknowledge, most people would have taken delivery months ago or just not ordered yet.

First in first out is deterministic and fair.

Everyone has the same opportunity to get the better pricing and the newer model. People who had the greatest expectation of getting the incentive will get it.

That’s exactly what they are doing right now. Cleaning it up.

The only place I think they screwed up is not letting people know much sooner. Tesla is crappy at communications and this is a perfect example. Armed with a little foreknowledge, most people would have taken delivery months ago or just not ordered yet.
Yes, Tesla-comm is....immature.
It's highly leveraged on the blogs, which while it's been pretty cost effective marketing, requires a perhaps better guiding hand.
As to more fair, less fair....eye of the beholder. Fair is relative.

• Funny

Damn . Well good to know if I don’t take my first vin I’m screwed… I am on a sr, let go of my hold yesterday and edd shows March to April. We’ll see what happens.
Thanks for the info.

And the reason being that the company always thinks from their perspective and never from the customer's? :)
Don't worry, there are plenty of customers on here bending over backwards to also think on poor lil' Tesla's behalf against those conniving, tricksy rebate trolls. Stick it to the little guy!... said absolutely no one except for a sizeable portion of the TMC userbase 🤪

Just teasing. Not trying to start a flame war 😄

Don't worry, there are plenty of customers on here bending over backwards to also think on poor lil' Tesla's behalf against those conniving, tricksy rebate trolls. Stick it to the little guy!... said absolutely no one except for a sizeable portion of the TMC userbase 🤪

Just teasing. Not trying to start a flame war 😄
Hey! Corporations are people and have feelings too! 🔥

What a ridiculous claim. I put my hold request in through Tesla's official support channel at [email protected].

What part of the order agreement, which you signed, says they'll hold orders? Cause I can show you exactly where is says they don't hold orders.

You got an exception to the rule, and now you're unhappy that they've stopped breaking the rules for you.

What part of the order agreement, which you signed, says they'll hold orders? Cause I can show you exactly where is says they don't hold orders.

You got an exception to the rule, and now you're unhappy that they've stopped breaking the rules for you.
No you can't. You've tried, but the words come out wrong.

No you can't. You've tried, but the words come out wrong.

Does any of this matter?

You can yodel until you are blue in the face but it’s quite clear at this point that they are going to start cancelling orders. Unless you are planning on losing a day out of your life trying to take Tesla to court over this, it’s a done deal.

They’ve altered the deal… pray they don’t alter it any further.

Reactions: Horsemover
This only makes sense when you see it from Tesla’s point of view. They want to get the pending orders with deepest discount from current price off their books either buy picking up (good) or getting cancelled (better). Fairness for customers don’t come into picture.
How many other companies out there will let you say “ok, I’m going to pay you 0.5% of the cost of a product now, but in exchange I want to be able to take delivery of the product at literally any time in the future of my choosing, and also keep the current price”?

None, because that’s crazy. Let’s not pretend that’s “fair” because it suits our narrative. I’m not aware of any other car company that allows what basically amounts to options trading.