Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hm I took off around the same time and mine's March. Also in SoCal. What's your build configuration and when did you place your order?
Mine's AWD, Black color, White seats, nothing else. Early 2020 order.
Mines actually a model 3 standard range, msm, 19 inch wheels, black interior, no fsd (I know this is a model y thread but this post is the most active regarding this subject matter). Order placed Feb 2021
Honestly, I’d expect your edd to change in the next few days, I’d be surprised if it didn’t and probably means you slipped through the cracks.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
You're lucky you get a March delivery date. I ordered late 2020 and took the hold off on Dec 1st and given EDD for last two weeks of December. Keeping my fingers crossed the date will be pushed into 2022 but I've mostly seen reports of changes to earlier dates for old orders.
Lol.. their systems are weird!
I ordered same as you.. Was given Edd of March>changed to Vin assigned >Vin unassigned > edd of mid December> edd of March> text this morning that Vin assigned, provide insurance info

Let's see when then push me for delivery...

• Funny
Anyone have any idea if they will cancel your order if you are honestly on xmas vacation?

Also Thumbs Down this post if you LOVE it! :)
Nobody who you can talk to has the power to over-ride the system at this point. Your sales advisor might put it on hold for you if you go on Christmas Holiday, but they are overriding those holds somewhere up the food chain.

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
Looks like I finally got tagged on a two year old order.

If they can get me a stealth performance (my configuration) at the agreed upon price with free unlimited supercharging before 12/31, I’m down.

Otherwise I suppose I’ll take my refundable deposit back and wait for the 4680.
That’s a bummer, but I’m sure you’ve known for some time there wasn’t a stealth performance in your future.

• Informative
so I got a email that they would cancel my car if i do not respond by dec 6th. I did respond that I will take delivery in jan and they said its ok we will keep your delivery on hold till jan is that safe????????????????????????
Yeah, there are two emails. Here was the timeline for the previous batch:
- 9/14 - "Your order is set to cancel soon, but if you still intend to take delivery, please contact [email protected] by September 28, 2021."
- 11/24 - "If your order remains on hold on December 2, 2021, or if your order is placed on hold again, your order will be automatically canceled and your order fee forfeited."

You've just received the first email, you should be fine for at least a little while longer. Replying to the first one will let you continue to keep your order on hold. The same is not true for the 2nd one.

• Informative
Reactions: mwdietertg
I have a M3 order from Sep/2021 that I put on hold last month. I got the same e-mail as OP this week :(

PS: If anyone looking to let their MY order get cancelled and open to transferring it - pls let me know.
I just let go of an MYP VIN7SAYGDEF7NF32XXXX this afternoon. I was looking to transfer - see this post:
Reservation Transfer 2022 MYP EDD 6-16December VIN7SAYGDEF7NF32XXXX

Was gonna pick up Las Vegas as early as 6 Dec, to be registered in WA - sales tax exempt.

I asked if they can hold my RN and they did up to 5 Jan. One year mark.

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea if they will cancel your order if you are honestly on xmas vacation?

Nobody who you can talk to has the power to over-ride the system at this point. Your sales advisor might put it on hold for you if you go on Christmas Holiday, but they are overriding those holds somewhere up the food chain.

Yes I believe so.
Thanks for the replies.

What if I go in the last week or two of December to pickup, go through inspection checklist, and reject the delivery based on production flaws? In the past I believe you just got the next VIN available. Now would they just cancel your order to keep you from going into January? 🤨

• Funny
Thanks for the replies.

What if I go in the last week or two of December to pickup, go through inspection checklist, and reject the delivery based on production flaws? In the past I believe you just got the next VIN available. Now would they just cancel your order to keep you from going into January? 🤨
I've heard of them doing this even a year ago. The example I heard was they offered to fix everything in an appointment or cancel the order.

Thanks for the replies.

Tell them you are not available to take delivery in December, then ask them to hold (your order not the VIN) until January or when you think you'll be ready.

I did just that and Tesla did not cancel my order - they even extended hold for 30 days.

Accepting the VIN in the system, going thru delivery, and then rejecting it at that time just gonna waste time and resources.

Tell them you are not available to take delivery in December, then ask them to hold (your order not the VIN) until January or when you think you'll be ready.

I did just that and Tesla did not cancel my order - they even extended hold for 30 days.

Accepting the VIN in the system, going thru delivery, and then rejecting it at that time just gonna waste time and resources.
Just to clarify, are you one of those people who got the original Tesla email asking to take your order off hold by Dec 6 or have it cancelled? Because if you weren't, then your well meaning advice above is probably not applicable to those who got that email because it looks like folks in this situation are having their orders automatically cancelled if the order gets put back on hold (even if an SA thinks it should be fine). Just wanted to bring this up to avoid people being caught out by this advice.

Reactions: Mysterious