Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Process for FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, this is very new if they indeed update their FSD transfer process.

I just took delivery on Monday and my Monroney sticker shows FSD and a price of $15k. It is just my MVPA has the adjusted price, but still also have the FSD line item.

Do you see Full Self-Driving Capability under Specs in the Tesla app?

Does anyone know how insurance would work with the new process? I seem to recall from my agent that whatever is in the MVPA is automatically covered by insurance quotes. If it's not in the MVPA it's "additional equipment" and somehow one has to arrange for additional coverage for it? This presumably would entail showing proof of purchase of the equipment but there wouldn't be any in this case since it's just a transfer.
Excellent question. For me it is now excluded from the mvpa and monroney sticker. So it's not any different from adding it later.

I should definitely call the insurance but not sure if I would like to pay any additional premium for a $15K feature that is basically worth nothing when trading in the car (and since it's not worth much I guess that is the same in case of an insurance loss, unless you have a policy that pays for a new vehicle in case of a total loss in the first year etc.).

Excellent question. For me it is now excluded from the mvpa and monroney sticker. So it's not any different from adding it later.

I should definitely call the insurance but not sure if I would like to pay any additional premium for a $15K feature that is basically worth nothing when trading in the car (and since it's not worth much I guess that is the same in case of an insurance loss, unless you have a policy that pays for a new vehicle in case of a total loss in the first year etc.).
This brings up a good question. In the event the car is totaled, would an insurance company pay you the market value based on KBB (or whatever system they used to calculate fair market value), and whether the FSD equipment/option is on your original sticker/invoice, does it matter?

Woke up to an order update, with FSD removed from the new order. My EDD is Aug 18-27. Saw someone in Canada with same issue overnight. Not clear why Tesla removed this from pending orders.

Anyone else?
Yeah I nearly had a heart attack when I got the updated MVOA yesterday morning without FSD specified. Texted the SA and they confirmed it was just for pricing purposes and that everything was fine. But they also literally said "Please do not sell the car until after you accept delivery of the new one." Now thankfully I'm in a well enough financial position where I have enough cash on hand to cover the down payment and can afford to wait a day to sell but what about people who aren't and need the money from the sale of their vehicle? Is this just to try and force more people to go to Tesla trade in? Just really ridiculous.

Reactions: cbrigante2
Okay just took delivery. The new post process worked and worked well. I had initially been nervous when I saw FSD was removed from the upcoming car.

In advance of going I had called Tesla the day before and the rep e-mailed me a confirmation that the FSD transfer was setup and good to go just in case something happened.

When I got to Tesla, I was able to confirm again with the delivery rep at the desk that the full self driving transfer paperwork was attached to the account. The moment I hit "accept" in the in app delivery flow I got this e-mail:
1691693183022.png

It also listed the VIN the FSD was removed from and the VIN the FSD was added to. Was able to confirm in both the app and in the car that the new Model X had FSD (but it's HW4 so not enabled yet).

Okay just took delivery. The new post process worked and worked well. I had initially been nervous when I saw FSD was removed from the upcoming car.

In advance of going I had called Tesla the day before and the rep e-mailed me a confirmation that the FSD transfer was setup and good to go just in case something happened.

When I got to Tesla, I was able to confirm again with the delivery rep at the desk that the full self driving transfer paperwork was attached to the account. The moment I hit "accept" in the in app delivery flow I got this e-mail:
View attachment 963794
It also listed the VIN the FSD was removed from and the VIN the FSD was added to. Was able to confirm in both the app and in the car that the new Model X had FSD (but it's HW4 so not enabled yet).
This FSD transfer confirmation email is new. I didn't get that when I took delivery on Monday.

I was offered $23200 for our 2018 M3 LR RWD, bought it with 19s which I swapped for 18s, red/black, just under 47k miles. Carvana offered 21.9, carmax 22, shift denied offering. It’s paid off but didn’t want to hassle with PP sale and so decided to trade to tesla. I plan on receiving some equity back versus applying the entire amount to the loan. And then when I receive all my rebates and incentives, I’ll just pay off the MY early next year. The weird thing is I’m the app it initially showed the final payment as a negative amount for what would be coming back to me but now it shows $0. I’ve texted my SA to clarify so let’s see. Still haven’t received the final agreements but delivery is 48 hours away so I guess they’ll show soon.

Yeah I nearly had a heart attack when I got the updated MVOA yesterday morning without FSD specified. Texted the SA and they confirmed it was just for pricing purposes and that everything was fine. But they also literally said "Please do not sell the car until after you accept delivery of the new one." Now thankfully I'm in a well enough financial position where I have enough cash on hand to cover the down payment and can afford to wait a day to sell but what about people who aren't and need the money from the sale of their vehicle? Is this just to try and force more people to go to Tesla trade in? Just really ridiculous.
I agree with you. Let us keep the old Tesla and offer me an extremely low trade in price is ridiculous.

I'm seeking advice on the best approach for ordering a second Tesla. Currently, I own a 2019 M3 SR+ with FSD registered in my name, while my husband uses the car via the app and has his own Tesla account. He's interested in getting a MYLR, which creates a unique opportunity for us:

Option 1: I could purchase the MY under my Tesla account, transferring the FSD from my M3 to the MY and in addition to the $500 discount.

Option 2: Or, I could refer my husband as a new buyer, earning 10,000 points and in action to the $500 discount.

However, I'm uncertain whether Tesla would consider him a "new customer" since he already has a Tesla account for using the app with my M3.

If I choose option 1, my M3 would retain only Autopilot, while the MY with HW4 would have FSD. The MY would serve as our road trip vehicle, and my husband's daily driver. He rarely uses the FSD/EAP/AP features on the M3.

Opting for option 2 raises the question of whether I can utilize the points on his MY after he adds me to the app. If feasible, I'd like to apply the points toward the AB upgrade, understanding that FSD transfer wouldn't be possible in this scenario.

Thanks in advance.

I'm seeking advice on the best approach for ordering a second Tesla. Currently, I own a 2019 M3 SR+ with FSD registered in my name, while my husband uses the car via the app and has his own Tesla account. He's interested in getting a MYLR, which creates a unique opportunity for us:

Option 1: I could purchase the MY under my Tesla account, transferring the FSD from my M3 to the MY and in addition to the $500 discount.

Option 2: Or, I could refer my husband as a new buyer, earning 10,000 points and in action to the $500 discount.

However, I'm uncertain whether Tesla would consider him a "new customer" since he already has a Tesla account for using the app with my M3.

If I choose option 1, my M3 would retain only Autopilot, while the MY with HW4 would have FSD. The MY would serve as our road trip vehicle, and my husband's daily driver. He rarely uses the FSD/EAP/AP features on the M3.

Opting for option 2 raises the question of whether I can utilize the points on his MY after he adds me to the app. If feasible, I'd like to apply the points toward the AB upgrade, understanding that FSD transfer wouldn't be possible in this scenario.

Thanks in advance.
Interesting option 2. Is it possible to add someone else to access car and use their credit to purchase car-related upgrades, like AB / Premium connectivity?

I guess you can't. I added my wife to access my Tesla but she can't purchase upgrades on her app. Otherwise Tesla is literally giving AB to every new LR AWD car buyer for free.

Interesting option 2. Is it possible to add someone else to access car and use their credit to purchase car-related upgrades, like AB / Premium connectivity?

I guess you can't. I added my wife to access my Tesla but she can't purchase upgrades on her app. Otherwise Tesla is literally giving AB to every new LR AWD car buyer for free.

Thank you for checking that. I think then the fallback would be accessories in that case. I could use them for the CCS retrofit when it comes available for my M3 SR+.

So I’m actually shocked at the stupidity of Tesla Financing. I accepted a $23,200 trade-in value for my Model 3. The loan tab in the Tesla app allowed me to adjust my down payment so I selected $11,200 towards the down payment of the Model Y and $12,000 positive equity paid to me since the Model 3 is paid off. For the whole week up until last night, the app showed ‘final amount due’ as -$12,000. Which I assumed was equity coming my way. Last night it showed ‘final amount due’ as $0. Today, I’ve received my final documents to review and it shows that my ‘agreed trade-in value’ is $11,200 and that Tesla owes me nothing as retained equity. I’ve called my SA who said they’ll check in with the finance department and see about getting that corrected but my delivery appointment is tomorrow evening meaning Saturday. What are the chances they actually get this corrected prior to that? I of course haven’t signed the final documents because then I’d be signing away $12,000 to be lost. This is just wild.

Attachments

• IMG_6729.jpeg
    IMG_6729.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6730.jpeg
    IMG_6730.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 52
I have the enhanced autopilot package on my 2018 m3. I was wondering if it'd be worth it to pay $9k to upgrade to FSD, then get a new car and transfer it. This would save $6k correct? Am I missing something? Or would they not allow this??

1. Tesla has stated in the past that FSD needed to be purchased with the car in order to be transferred. They seem to have made an exception for cars that were purchased during the period that FSD was not available to purchase, which might include your 2018 Model 3, depending on its purchase date.

2. Many people would tell you that you could, if desired, rent FSD for 45 months for the $9,000 you are thinking about spending, which is 4 years time.

3. Many other people would suggest to you that they dont feel FSD is worth 9k, let alone 9k + whatever you spent on it.

So, you might be able to do this, but most would wonder "why would you?".

Tesla has stated in the past that FSD needed to be purchased with the car in order to be transferred. They seem to have made an exception for cars that were purchased during the period that FSD was not available to purchase, which might include your 2018 Model 3, depending on its purchase date.
This is wrong information. Tesla never said that, it is their sales misunderstand the t&e words. For ppl had problem qualify the transfer for their 2018 Model3, it is because they upgraded the hw from 2.5 to 3.0 and Tesla system got confused. But the bug shall be fixed now.

Reactions: heems