Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering first Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after driving a couple models and getting the bug I have decided to lease myself a Model S. Plan is to drive it until the Model 3 arrives then my wife will finish off the lease.

Plan on getting a base 60 in black with AP and Premium Interior. Everything else standard. I have taken a 70 home recently to test range since I do a 145 mile round trip to work and back daily. I can charge at work and at home but being able to make it round trip is a must for me. It seems that I can make the trip if I do not drive like a mad man.

I am thinking of buying the spoiler second hand and im kicking around the idea of powder coating the stock slipstreams the same color as the grey turbines. Not sure how that would turn out though. I like the look of the turbines but I do not like the low profile tires.

I would like to get the pano roof and the upgraded sound but I do not know if its worth it. Trying to keep cost down. I have never heard the upgraded sound but the regular setup does not sound too bad to me. I use XM a lot but I can do that through my phone. Just having it built in to the car would be convenient.

Any advice for me? Anyone here actually powder coat the slipstreams on the refreshed front end in black? Would you go with the upgraded sound and pano roof?

Pano roof- Allows a roof rack to be installed. Grants noticeably more headroom. Heavier. Popular option at about 80% getting it so could affect resale.

Sound system- those with it say it's worth it, those without it are happy also. You can always upgrade sound later at any car audio shop.

Wheels- Tons of pictures on this forum. People have done the 19" wheels in black, grey, matte, you name it.

I'm awaiting my model S which should arrive next month.

S60
White
Pano
Black next gen seats
Auto pilot
Matte Obeche trim

Be sure to use someone's referral coders save yourself $1,000. I'm assuming you still can with a lease.

Referral | Tesla

Pano roof- Allows a roof rack to be installed. Grants noticeably more headroom. Heavier. Popular option at about 80% getting it so could affect resale.

Sound system- those with it say it's worth it, those without it are happy also. You can always upgrade sound later at any car audio shop.

Wheels- Tons of pictures on this forum. People have done the 19" wheels in black, grey, matte, you name it.

I'm awaiting my model S which should arrive next month.

S60
White
Pano
Black next gen seats
Auto pilot
Matte Obeche trim

Be sure to use someone's referral coders save yourself $1,000. I'm assuming you still can with a lease.

Referral | Tesla

Talking with the wife she prefers the Pano roof and upgraded sound over the Premium interior upgrades so we will be going that route. The loaner I have now does not have the premium interior and most of the features I didnt notice were missing.

This may sound like a stupid question, but can u powder coat the wheels if ur leasing the car?

It might be frowned upon but worse case ill have to buy replacements when it comes time to turn it in. Not a big deal for me to have the car look how I want it.

If I had to choose panoramic roof or upgraded sound, I would pick the panoramic roof. It really opens a car up and can be enjoyed 24/7. You aren't always going to be in the mood for or have the ear for (paying attention/really listening) upgraded sound, for various reasons.

You need to return the car exactly as it was -- so powder coating the wheels will cost you.

Talking with the wife she prefers the Pano roof and upgraded sound over the Premium interior upgrades so we will be going that route. The loaner I have now does not have the premium interior and most of the features I didnt notice were missing.

It might be frowned upon but worse case ill have to buy replacements when it comes time to turn it in. Not a big deal for me to have the car look how I want it.

I think going the pano roof instead of premium upgrade is a good decision. When i originally ordered my Model S60 i didnt choose premium upgrade but when i took the loaner home and parked in my garage , i found that the trunk when opened was almost touching my garage door (i have a very low ceiling in garage) when parked little bit to the edge of the garage. Thats when i changed my order to go with premium upgrade mainly for the power lift gate. Since it has option to set lift gate hight memory i can avoid hitting the garage door. Unfortunately you cant pick and choose the options in the premium upgrade. Its all or nothing.

I went with black also including the black next gen leather and black headliner. In doing so, I am tall (6'3) and needed the pano as I felt very smooshed without it.

It made a HUGE difference in experience especially with an all black interior and highly recommended.

The beautiful sun roof in the fall/winter here in Texas will be an added addition but mine was more for function.

I ordered the upgraded sound system, before actually giving it a listen... More bass, but that is about it, def think the Prem Upgrade Package > Upgraded Sound if you had to choose.

I got to try out the upgraded sound today and was not impressed. I will be keeping the standard sound package.
Decided to go with Pano roof instead of base roof for sure. I like the idea of more head room and the more open feeling the car has.
I think I will skip on the premium interior package as most the items I did not even notice were missing when I had the car that did not have that option and the others I can really live without.

As for the CPO option. As an employee I get a great deal on a new Model S 60, better than the CPO deals offered. Also I do not think I can use the referral links...

I got to try out the upgraded sound today and was not impressed. I will be keeping the standard sound package.
Decided to go with Pano roof instead of base roof for sure. I like the idea of more head room and the more open feeling the car has.
I think I will skip on the premium interior package as most the items I did not even notice were missing when I had the car that did not have that option and the others I can really live without.

As for the CPO option. As an employee I get a great deal on a new Model S 60, better than the CPO deals offered. Also I do not think I can use the referral links...
Well if you find out you can...Referral | Tesla

Also I agree with you on those options. Some of the interior lighting can actually be installed easily later on since the wiring is included even without the package.

PM me how you like working for Tesla if you don't mind, I've considered applying just because I like the company so much. Nearest areas for me are San Diego county and Orange County.