Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Model x without AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! I have a Model x on order but it hasn't been confirmed yet. I am moving from a P85D with AP, but I hardly use it. I don't want to make a mistake on ordering the new car without it - any feedback? I am leasing the new car, so I wouldn't be stuck without it forever, just 4 years! Thanks!

You're not really ordering it without AP. You're just ordering it without activating AP. If you don't want or use it, then I don't see why you would pay to order it. But if you do change your mind, you can always pay later to activate it, although it will cost you more. You might want to wait until after tomorrow to decide because if the announcement is AP2.0 tomorrow, you may want to reconsider AP, especially if it's much more reliable with more cameras/radar/sensors and faster processing.

You're not really ordering it without AP. You're just ordering it without activating AP. If you don't want or use it, then I don't see why you would pay to order it. But if you do change your mind, you can always pay later to activate it, although it will cost you more. You might want to wait until after tomorrow to decide because if the announcement is AP2.0 tomorrow, you may want to reconsider AP, especially if it's much more reliable with more cameras/radar/sensors and faster processing.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

As Canuck mentioned, it's a feature that can be activated later. It costs an additional $500 to activate after delivery.

If AP 2.0 is announced tomorrow, the cost for AP may go up all around to pay for the additional cameras and radar.

I tend to think AP is the best feature of an amazing car, I use it regularly and wouldn't want to buy a car without it.

However, if you have it on the P85D and don't use it, then clearly your experience is different.

As others have noted, it's not an irrevocable decision - you'll get hardware either way, and you or any future owner can enable AP at any time. So do whichever makes the most sense to you, and don't worry about it too much. :)

Do you use the traffic aware cruise control on your P85D?

Really, not that often. I am apparently a bit of a control freak, and I drive 70% country roads without traffic. Lol

Given this conversation, I did use AP this morning on a drive in. It went pretty well although the car veered into the unpaved shoulder twice, despite a solid yellow line, and the car 'recognizing' the lane markings (i.e., the appropriate lines were displayed in the interface) and it being a straight road. Car was steered back to the other side of the lane, and then righted itself. It *was* fun (other than the slight veering onto the soft shoulder). I might need to use it more over the next few days. Perhaps I am just in the habit of *not* using it and should be a little more open! It IS a great feature.

• Informative
Reactions: bhuwan
Really, not that often. I am apparently a bit of a control freak, and I drive 70% country roads without traffic. Lol

Given this conversation, I did use AP this morning on a drive in. It went pretty well although the car veered into the unpaved shoulder twice, despite a solid yellow line, and the car 'recognizing' the lane markings (i.e., the appropriate lines were displayed in the interface) and it being a straight road. Car was steered back to the other side of the lane, and then righted itself. It *was* fun (other than the slight veering onto the soft shoulder). I might need to use it more over the next few days. Perhaps I am just in the habit of *not* using it and should be a little more open! It IS a great feature.
Well, just be aware that without AP you will not have TACC, only standard cruise control.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus