Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ouch! First huge repair bill.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the car is supposed to be low maintenance. But this one, perhaps an outlier, required significant brake hardware replacement. Again, I'm not saying I agree with the replacement price, I'm just not surprised. People who buy $100k cars really shouldn't be surprised either.

So you wouldn't have been surprised, and would have just paid it and not said anything?

Your post just confirm a theory that I had... Never keep firstr iteration of cars for too long...

It's not just Tesla it's a well known thing in the car industry early models always have these odd issues
I feel the same way.

When I was young I lusted after the Miata when it came out but I waited a few years before buying for exactly that reason. My father explained to me that a car maker gets true experience on a model after it has been extensively test driven by the first purchasers for a few years, and most of the failure points come to light. Occasionally parents CAN actually say something their kids listen to..... sigh....

Reactions: navguy12
I recall Tesla stating it was not their strategy to have SCs as profit centers, I think they have some way to go to prove that.
Excessive repair costs will drive the competitive argument for 3rd party servicing.

Service Centers are probably losing lots of money in warranty repairs, so they can not be profit centers and still be hugely expensive. A normal car dealer gets paid for all the warranty work he does, so for them warranty +maintenance and repairs all = profits. That is also why a traditional dealer is always glad to do warranty work for you - they get paid a good rate for that from the manufacturer. Because of Tesla's direct consumer model, warranty and recall work are all losses for them.

They will have to open up the 3rd party option eventually, I really hope they don't emulate Apple in this regard.

I don't get it. You still exercise the brakes every time you come to a stop. You just put less wear on them. This is probably the best treatment you can give the brakes.

Not in a humid environment. If rust is building up quickly then friction brakes at under 10 mph aren't enough to scrape it off.

Several times a year I do this:

1. find a reasonably smooth straight road that is flat or downhill with a consistent slope.*
2. Get up to 50 mph or so
3. Put car in neutral
4. Brake to about 10 mph or a complete stop as you prefer*
5. Put car back in Drive and drive away.

* It's important that the braking be moderate. It should not be a panic stop, it should not take forever. Consistent braking over a moderate period ensures the pad doesn't dig into the rotor then skip a section. A bumpy road could cause you to unevenly apply the brakes.

With regen even as weak as on the Prius the friction brakes just can't keep ahead of the rust in normal use. It takes disabling regen to force friction brake use to get ahead.

Not in a humid environment. If rust is building up quickly then friction brakes at under 10 mph aren't enough to scrape it off.

Several times a year I do this:

1. find a reasonably smooth straight road that is flat or downhill with a consistent slope.*
2. Get up to 50 mph or so
3. Put car in neutral
4. Brake to about 10 mph or a complete stop as you prefer*
5. Put car back in Drive and drive away.

* It's important that the braking be moderate. It should not be a panic stop, it should not take forever. Consistent braking over a moderate period ensures the pad doesn't dig into the rotor then skip a section. A bumpy road could cause you to unevenly apply the brakes.

With regen even as weak as on the Prius the friction brakes just can't keep ahead of the rust in normal use. It takes disabling regen to force friction brake use to get ahead.

Overall good advice except for the coming to a complete stop. You really should not do this if the rotors are hot, if avoidable. Doing so can lead to uneven cooling (warping) and/or uneven pad material transfer which both could cause vibrations/pulsing/uneven wear. I understand you are not trying to seat pads but just clean things up but, essentially it's the same circumstance and you should probably be doing a full reseat of pads regularly in order to prolong the lifetime of pad and rotors on EVs.

So you wouldn't have been surprised, and would have just paid it and not said anything?

The surprise comes from the fact that the car needs to have nearly the entire braking system replaced. I wouldn't be surprised that the replacement parts are extremely high in price, and I may have sought guidance from my personal mechanic before moving forward with the Tesla SC repair. Since the car is out of warranty, I may consider aftermarket alternatives if possible. All speculation of course.

Reactions: navguy12

You must eventually brake as hard as possible to keep the rotor surface in proper shape, you have to work up to it so you don't create hotspots while doing so.

Also, the high hydraulic pressure will exert a force in the opposite direction that moisture has been going into the hydraulic fluid. Of course unfortunately the brake fluid is hygroscopic which means if moisture gets in there it's being mixed. I wonder if converting to DOT 5 fluid would help. In the least, performance brake fluid should NOT be used in the Tesla, not only because you'll never see temperatures near the rating of the fluid but because they are even more hygroscopic than the non-performance versions.

Just some random blue sky thinking here:

Because of the very nature of these cars, could the calipers and pistons be made of phenolic material? IIRC, the pistons in the Prius' brakes are phenolic material.

Could there be a software solution to this where the brakes are "exercised" in accordance with best practices?

Could the hydraulic system be replaced with an electrically actuated caliper?

Overall good advice except for the coming to a complete stop. You really should not do this if the rotors are hot, if avoidable. Doing so can lead to uneven cooling (warping) and/or uneven pad material transfer which both could cause vibrations/pulsing/uneven wear. I understand you are not trying to seat pads but just clean things up but, essentially it's the same circumstance and you should probably be doing a full reseat of pads regularly in order to prolong the lifetime of pad and rotors on EVs.

uneven thickness yes, warped no.

Warped' Rotors Myth - Correctly Service Brakes: Runout, Disc Thickness

as to doing it when hot, I tend to do this more in late fall/winter/early spring and I do it after a few miles of low speed driving. I don't tend to do it after long trips or on a very hot day.

Well, I live in a moist climate so I went out to check the brake fluid. Looks pretty yellow to me. Car was in for service earlier this month and they inspected the fluid reservoirs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 203
But moisture enters via the reservoir cap.

Some, but I've always found the fluid in the reservoir in better condition than in the caliper. It's not a recirculating system, so any mixing from the reservoir to the calipers will slow, if it happens at all.

If you vacuum bleed your calipers seasonally, you can see there is a bunch cloudy brake fluid in the caliper itself. At least up here driving around in wet and salty conditions for half the year.

I don't get it. You still exercise the brakes every time you come to a stop. You just put less wear on them. This is probably the best treatment you can give the brakes.

Hi all. Have been out of touch for some days. I'll try to answer what is directed at me.

This confused me too. While I try to maximize regen I still use the brakes. Not sure why the pistons would be ceased. As I said before the brakes felt fine - perhaps a little mushy.