Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our Crashed X is still not fixed...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks all for your encouragement, I'm too tired tonight to answer all the questions, but I'll contact Tesla body shop support about this. I forgot they had a dedicated team for this sort of thing. Glad I posted
Suprising you forgot as it is talked about a lot. Did you think your forum post would be read by Tesla then? I've had my X worked on as well when I was rear-ended. I just worked with Tesla to make sure of the history/experience the body shop I was going to and followed up to make sure they had the parts on time, etc.

Well the car obviously needs a seat we can all see that. And they said it would be done in January. The seat order was most likely made over 2mo ago. I don't think it is outrageous to assume such a thing when owners here are posting about waiting weeks or months for basic parts.

i've been to incompetent repair shops. Why would they need to wait for the seat before they can paint the car?

Reactions: GreenT
Suprising you forgot as it is talked about a lot. Did you think your forum post would be read by Tesla then? I've had my X worked on as well when I was rear-ended. I just worked with Tesla to make sure of the history/experience the body shop I was going to and followed up to make sure they had the parts on time, etc.
I have posted on here and then got in direct contact with Jon Mcneill as a result, but he has now moved on.

I CALLED TESLA AND I'M VERY CONCERNED

Airbags deployed out of all 4 seats of our car (we have the 6 seater so back row is fine). Tesla confirmed my suspicion that some of the seats were not ordered until recently, even though they've had the car for months. What is most concerning, however, is that they ordered only 1 rear seat back in December 12 days after they received the car. The next seat they ordered was 1 front passenger seat ON MARCH 2ND??!!!

What this means to me without further investigation by Tesla (she said they will get back to me on Monday), is that they have now installed a single seat in the rear which does not match the other seat still there (one will have glossy back from 2016 and the other will be matte back new gen seat), and the one they have ordered for the front will have the same problem. Not only are the backs different but the new seats look noticeably different all around and are even more comfortable if I do say so myself. This means the drivers seat has been left as an uncomfortable 1st gen ultra white seat... (maybe because I've put on some weight in my hips in my late 20s so the supportive side bolsters hurt me slightly)

All this to say, I have two theories for why the body shop did this:

1. When they first gave us the estimate on the repairs for the vehicle I informed them that I was considering selling the car as is and keeping the insurance check to buy a new Tesla (this is clearly what I should have done) , So this scared them that they would lose the business and prompted them to make false promises that it would only take them a month to repair it, etc. etc.

2. They are trying to replace as few parts as possible in order to maximize their profit on this deal, i.e. only replacing airbags on some of the seats.

My lingering concerns - the dishonesty of the body shop means that our car may be there for much longer, and won't be repaired correctly even when it's "finished", also, are body shops supposed to charge up the cars and do they have equipment to do so? When we turned the vehicle in in December it had only 80 miles of range, and from that point it has been some of the coldest weather our state has had in 15 years....

THE PLOT THICKENS

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and brkaus
This is a VERY interesting section of the Tesla Approved Body Shop requirements:

"Proactively updating Tesla customers every 3 days or less is a mandate of the Tesla ApprovedBody Shop Program. Customer feedback indicating they had to manage the repair will be grounds for removal from the Tesla Body Repair Program"

I CALLED TESLA AND I'M VERY CONCERNED

Airbags deployed out of all 4 seats of our car (we have the 6 seater so back row is fine). Tesla confirmed my suspicion that some of the seats were not ordered until recently, even though they've had the car for months. What is most concerning, however, is that they ordered only 1 rear seat back in December 12 days after they received the car. The next seat they ordered was 1 front passenger seat ON MARCH 2ND??!!!

What this means to me without further investigation by Tesla (she said they will get back to me on Monday), is that they have now installed a single seat in the rear which does not match the other seat still there (one will have glossy back from 2016 and the other will be matte back new gen seat), and the one they have ordered for the front will have the same problem. Not only are the backs different but the new seats look noticeably different all around and are even more comfortable if I do say so myself. This means the drivers seat has been left as an uncomfortable 1st gen ultra white seat... (maybe because I've put on some weight in my hips in my late 20s so the supportive side bolsters hurt me slightly)

All this to say, I have two theories for why the body shop did this:

1. When they first gave us the estimate on the repairs for the vehicle I informed them that I was considering selling the car as is and keeping the insurance check to buy a new Tesla (this is clearly what I should have done) , So this scared them that they would lose the business and prompted them to make false promises that it would only take them a month to repair it, etc. etc.

2. They are trying to replace as few parts as possible in order to maximize their profit on this deal, i.e. only replacing airbags on some of the seats.

My lingering concerns - the dishonesty of the body shop means that our car may be there for much longer, and won't be repaired correctly even when it's "finished", also, are body shops supposed to charge up the cars and do they have equipment to do so? When we turned the vehicle in in December it had only 80 miles of range, and from that point it has been some of the coldest weather our state has had in 15 years....

THE PLOT THICKENS

Looks like I was wrong about the body shop. Shoulda told us the whole story!

They are not going to remove them for this. I recently took a tesla approved bodyshop to the state consumer protection agency, they were billed back for the re-repair by my insurance and they still wouldn’t call me back.

I would also pressure your insurance company and let them know what is going on. If they don’t help you, escalate it to the department of insurance. Most tesla approved bodyshops are direct paid shops by insurance company, its much easier for them to flex their muscles than you.

I say just take your losses, order a new car and hope you can sell the old one before the new one comes. You won’t see the new car for four months anyway.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Wrecked my MS needed 2 doors and 2 airbags was in body shop (Service King
Mt. Juliet Tenn.) 4 1/2 months. They blamed Tesla on not getting parts which was not true. I was lied to every time I called them. After 4 1/2 months I picked up the car and had a body shop in Knoxville finish the repair in 5 days.

After 2 1/2 months Tesla rented me a Land Rover. If you have a wreck in Tennessee I would not recommend Service King in Mount Juliet Tn.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Wrecked my MS needed 2 doors and 2 airbags was in body shop (Service King
Mt. Juliet Tenn.) 4 1/2 months. They blamed Tesla on not getting parts which was not true. I was lied to every time I called them. After 4 1/2 months I picked up the car and had a body shop in Knoxville finish the repair in 5 days.

After 2 1/2 months Tesla rented me a Land Rover. If you have a wreck in Tennessee I would not recommend Service King in Mount Juliet Tn.
Please explain how you got Tesla to rent you a Land Rover? They should definitely do the same for us because our business involves moving signs all the time and we have been very constrained with the small hatchback I've been driving.

Sorry to hear about your problems. My neighbor had his car in for a minor accident and it has taken him 2 months to get the front bumper cover due to delay in Tesla having them in stock. Apparently, they make these in batches and was just on transition to another batch when it happened - this was what Tesla told the approved bodyshop and confirmed by service