Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our HPWC Set-Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought you might enjoy a unique HPWC set-up we recently completed in our garage. Getting 48A of charging on our MS and 30A on our LEMR3 on a 60A breaker with #4-3C THHN-PVC Tray Cable with #8 Ground (3rd wire unused - red). Charging cable holder came from Northern Tool for $15 and is adjustable up and down by 2 feet and rotates 90 degrees if you depress the pins. We're going to add a retractable tool balancer pulley in the near future so we can just pull cable down from ceiling and release it back up when charging is complete.

IMG_0844.JPG
IMG_0798.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought you might enjoy a unique HPWC set-up we recently completed in our garage. Getting 48A of charging on our MS and 30A on our LEMR3 on a 60A breaker with #4-3C THHN-PVC Tray Cable with #8 Ground (3rd wire unused - red). Charging cable holder came from Northern Tool for $15 and is adjustable up and down by 2 feet and rotates 90 degrees if you depress the pins. We're going to add a retractable tool balancer pulley in the near future so we can just pull cable down from ceiling and release it back up when charging is complete.

Nice!

Though I am confused on the wire. Do you mean THHN wire in PVC conduit? What did you mean by Tray Cable?

Note that I would expect you would have used two "hot" conductors (typically Black and Red). Then the ground is green (or bare), and the white would be the unused conductor if you had an extra.

Note that I would expect you would have used two "hot" conductors (typically Black and Red). Then the ground is green (or bare), and the white would be the unused conductor if you had an extra.
Yeah, I think that might not quite be in code compliance. You can use several different colors for hot lines, but white is always required to be a neutral unless there is no other option (in other words, you have only white and one other wire, but you're using it as 240V only with two hot lines). Then you have to mark the wire at both ends if you are going to use white as a hot.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and eprosenx
Yeah, I think that might not quite be in code compliance. You can use several different colors for hot lines, but white is always required to be a neutral unless there is no other option (in other words, you have only white and one other wire, but you're using it as 240V only with two hot lines). Then you have to mark the wire at both ends if you are going to use white as a hot.

NVM, it was a typo we left the white as unused.

View attachment 405633 View attachment 405634 View attachment 405635
Lighten up on the abbreviations; there are 9 there. Yes, some are commonly used like 48A & 60A. But not everyone knows what HPWC, MS, LEMR3, 4-3C, THHN-PVC are. Communication is not to impress people; it is to relay an understandable thought.

Nice!

Though I am confused on the wire. Do you mean THHN wire in PVC conduit? What did you mean by Tray Cable?

Tray cable is the description from the manufacturer, I assume it references a clear plastic sleeve that was between the wires and the outer black casing. The only place I had to put the whole cable in PVC was from the top of the HPWC up through the attic ceiling.

Curious - do you prefer this setup to just having two HPWC's share a connection due to the decreased cost?

No, i also have a 30A Level 2 charger, but we're currently selling it. Since we only need to charge each vehicle every 2-3 days, we just alternate every other night. To be honest, we commute together at least 4 days a week in the Model 3 and the Model S is only when I need to drive separately, or for weekend road trips.

Are you at all worried about the effect of vibrations from the garage door opener on your HPWC?

No, not at all. All of the parts on the HPWC are solid state, nothing moves internally. Mounting it here I found actually helped stabilize the entire set up as the 2x6 board reinforces all of the bracing. We have a belt drive opener too, which tends to have less noise and vibration.

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt