Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of state delivery to receive Model Y Built in Austin Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y on order with May delivery date. Is there anyway to change my delivery site to another state in order to ensure a vehicle built in Austin Texas?
I really want the structural battery pack with 4680 batteries. It to bad Tesla doesn't offer a factory delivery because that would be a lot of fun.

What’s interesting is how Tesla has been able to extract some pretty impressive performance from the OLD 1860 batteries. Am guessing they tweaked the chemistry of those batteries to equal or better the current 2170’s. I’m now less inclined to want only a 4680 PMY vs a 2170. I wonder how many price increases there will be by the time 4680 PMY’s roll off the assembly line?

Reactions: Fairchild
Upvote 0
It makes sense to me that the standard range Y only, for now, gets the new 4680 and structural battery pack. It wouldn’t make sense to have different versions of MYLR/MYP coming out of Fremont vs. Austin. I believe if the standard range does well and they are able to scale up the production of 4680 battery cells, then they will migrate to that for all Ys. But my sense is we are more than a year away from that. I understand why so many are upset in that they were hoping for model Y 2.0.
It was a pretty slick plan. "We will not be 4680 constrained at Austin." Of course not, with one new model using them.
In one way, it may have been an unanticipated advantage to TESLA for so many people to delay their Model Y orders in hope of getting 4680 batteries and the structural battery pack. They had more orders than they can fill anyway and the delays moved up delivery dates for others. You're Welcome!

It will be interesting to see how they handle the new orders of the "new" Model Y. Conceivably when they pop the new 4680 MY new customers will be able to order with very short delivery times. Oh well, irritated customers are not the concern of the bean counters.

At this point, I think I would prefer a vehicle from Fremont (better quality control until Austin is up to speed), unless of course, Austin offers the new Crimson color soon.

Upvote 0
What’s interesting is how Tesla has been able to extract some pretty impressive performance from the OLD 1860 batteries. Am guessing they tweaked the chemistry of those batteries to equal or better the current 2170’s. I’m now less inclined to want only a 4680 PMY vs a 2170. I wonder how many price increases there will be by the time 4680 PMY’s roll off the assembly line?
I've seen some speculation online the 4680 is currently disappointing because they don't have the battery chemistry right yet. So it may be better in the future.

Reactions: Fairchild
Upvote 0