Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of state delivery to receive Model Y Built in Austin Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y on order with May delivery date. Is there anyway to change my delivery site to another state in order to ensure a vehicle built in Austin Texas?
I really want the structural battery pack with 4680 batteries. It to bad Tesla doesn't offer a factory delivery because that would be a lot of fun.

In the door jam of the car there is a sticker that lists the gross weight of the vehicle. I’m no expert, but I believe this is universal
I think when people say a typical driver wouldn't notice the difference, they mean the driving experience.
Sure, if you look at GVW it prob will be different a bit, and if you get underneath and check out the lift pads you can tell. But that's not what they're talking about.

Upvote 0
There are not many people who can walk up to a car and notice the gross weight, so I doubt that will be how people immediately differentiate Austin vs Fremont. All of that has to be read, just like it will probably need to be read that the 4680s are even installed.
The car will objectively be lighter and more rigid due to the casting. This isn't debatable. The performance of the 4680? Yes, that's the million dollar question at this point.

Upvote 0
The car will objectively be lighter and more rigid due to the casting. This isn't debatable. The performance of the 4680? Yes, that's the million dollar question at this point.
Yes it will be lighter and more rigid, though the rigidity shift will mostly be from the battery pack structure. It already has one of the two castings and the single new one replaces dozens of metal parts that are bolted rigidly together more or less in the same shape as now and is plenty stiff as it is. Castings mainly aimed at doing away with making, tracking and assembling multiple parts.
There aren't 10 people on this forum who could notice if the car's chassis, which isn't flimsy now, gets slightly stiffer. And the weight difference will be at most about the same as one passenger.

Upvote 0
I think when people say a typical driver wouldn't notice the difference, they mean the driving experience.
Sure, if you look at GVW it prob will be different a bit, and if you get underneath and check out the lift pads you can tell. But that's not what they're talking about.
Which one would assume, is obvious.

Upvote 0
Again, the average driver will not be able to tell their vehicle’s weight is objectively lighter than anything else. Not sure why this is being debated.

Upvote 0
Forget the gross weight. We know Austin MY will have front and rear casting and structural battery pack. MYs in Freemont currently do not. So just look at the 11th digit in the VIN. F for Freemont A for Austin
Based on the new EPA data, the curb weight is 4356, 25# less than the current LR MY. And also the car with vin A000067 that was used for testing (or at least all the picures used in the slideshow on how to set the car for proper testing) only gets a 279 mile rating from the EPA and appears to have a 68kwh battery. Makes you wonder what is going on with these vehicles and if you really want a new Austin build. We will know soon enough if we see a 3rd variant pop up on the configurator.

Reactions: advocate8
Upvote 0
Forget the gross weight. We know Austin MY will have front and rear casting and structural battery pack. MYs in Freemont currently do not. So just look at the 11th digit in the VIN. F for Freemont A for Austin
Fremont does already have the rear casting. The front casting is going to save probably 10 to 25 pounds. That is your total Austin casting gain.

Upvote 0
No one here could notice the difference.
Zero. The Fresno card seen e exactly wet noodles.

These people are just spec sheet buyers and buy the hype from youtube bloggers who just spout things with no actual basis.

It's like people who claim CPU A is better than CPU B because CPU A has 10 cores and CPU B has 6 cores despite benchmarks and real world work flows reveal CPU B is faster than CPU A because CPU A's architecture is crap and needs those 10 cores to compete against the superior architecture of CPU B.

Upvote 0
If yiu we’re assigned a vin you can’t put on hold until an Austin VIN is guaranteed. You can only reject and by rejecting now you will have to take the next VIN assigned or you will lose you order fee. Keep in mind, once deliveries from Austin start, there is no guarantee you’ll get an Austin vin as Austin will need to be delivering about 1000 cars a week to cover the back order of eastern US deliveries. So if you want to guarantee an Austin vin, cancel your order and wait until it is confirmed that Fremont is no longer shipping MY east of the Rockies (and in all reality by this point Fremont should have switched to 4680 just like Austin so it won’t matter).
If you do that you WILL pay the new price.
Just so you know. My MYP is up $4k since I ordered. Best to take delivery and resale when your next order gets a VIN.

Reactions: TXDawg
Upvote 0
Order placed 11/26/22 MYP BLUE/White
EDD 02/15
Tesla Update - As we have not received your selected delivery appointment, your order has been placed on hold and this vehicle will move on to the next customer.

When you are ready to take delivery, please select "I'm Ready." in your Tesla Account. Orders that remain on hold for a prolonged time may be subject to cancellation.

----------------‐---‐-------
Just checked today and est delivery has been pushed out to Jul 18 to Aug 29.

Price remains the same as the day I ordered it.

Hey, punish me some more! Hopefully, by then we will see some 4680s.

• Funny
Reactions: robeeen
Upvote 0
Order placed 11/26/22 MYP BLUE/White
EDD 02/15
Tesla Update - As we have not received your selected delivery appointment, your order has been placed on hold and this vehicle will move on to the next customer.

When you are ready to take delivery, please select "I'm Ready." in your Tesla Account. Orders that remain on hold for a prolonged time may be subject to cancellation.

----------------‐---‐-------
Just checked today and est delivery has been pushed out to Jul 18 to Aug 29.

Price remains the same as the day I ordered it.

Hey, punish me some more! Hopefully, by then we will see some 4680s.
Keep playing games and karma will get ur rear.

Upvote 0
Keep playing games and karma will get ur rear.
Increasingly believing 4680s have no advantage. Current batteries are proven, last longer than anyone wants to keep a car, charge quickly and weigh same. Not seeing it.
With current information — what clearly was hogwash from battery day — and a obvious reluctance on Tesla’s part to come clean on the facts, right now I wouldn’t take 4860s if offered.

Reactions: weathergeekdan
Upvote 0