Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of state delivery to receive Model Y Built in Austin Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y on order with May delivery date. Is there anyway to change my delivery site to another state in order to ensure a vehicle built in Austin Texas?
I really want the structural battery pack with 4680 batteries. It to bad Tesla doesn't offer a factory delivery because that would be a lot of fun.

Same for me. I'm in California, and due to take delivery of Model Y in May/June, but want to specify Austin built car. Would gladly take delivery in TX, even if it pushes the delivery date out. What's the process?
You can’t take delivery in TX. You would need to have a delivery address east of the Rockies excluding TX. But, part of your purchase profile is a picture of your drivers license so guessing your delivery address may need to match the state of your DL. Also issues of paying tax in the state you purchased the car and then paying tax again in CA when you register it here. Especially for a new vehicle.

You can always reach out to Tesla via chat to ask about changing your delivery address in your profile. Or search in here as this question has been likely asked in the past.

Upvote 0
You can’t take delivery in TX. You would need to have a delivery address east of the Rockies excluding TX. But, part of your purchase profile is a picture of your drivers license so guessing your delivery address may need to match the state of your DL. Also issues of paying tax in the state you purchased the car and then paying tax again in CA when you register it here. Especially for a new vehicle.

You can always reach out to Tesla via chat to ask about changing your delivery address in your profile. Or search in here as this question has been likely asked in the past.
I bought two plug-in electric cars in the past in CA, but live in CO, had a shipping company pick them up from the dealer and transport them to a nearby state for us to pickup to save on shipping costs. State and county sales tax get paid locally, the CA dealers do not charge those to out-of-state buyers who ship their cars, but do charge them to buyers who physically pick up their cars there. So, I am guessing that if you have a delivery in another state, and you pick it up there, you will pay that state's sales tax, then pay county taxes when you get plates etc. At the moment, Tesla seems unwilling to let us choose which Tesla location will get our delivery (I want to pick up, not pay for home delivery)--Tesla just assigned me my pickup location. So far, I have not contacted them about this. It might be possible to convince them to let us have a delivery at a center away from where we live, in another state? We would have to go there and pick up, pay the state sales tax, get a temporary plate etc. I am hoping someone else will know more than I do about this...

Upvote 0
I'm in NH, a state Tesla does not directly sell in. So instead I will "buy" my Tesla in NJ, a state that does not tax EV sales. At one point my Sales Rep told me that until the VIN is assigned, they could change which Tesla sales location would receive my car without additional charge. Though the Sales Rep was thinking of using a different NJ location at the time.

However, in some forum somewhere, somebody posted that Tesla would not change their delivery between states where Tesla did sell in both states. That poster was trying to avoid sales tax by swapping delivery states. I suspect Tesla could get into trouble if they facilitated tax avoidance.

So I believe that yes, it is possible for your Sales Advisor to change delivery locations. However, they won't do so if the change could be construed as helping you avoid sales tax.

Perhaps you should move to NJ?

P.S.
I had been holding out for a 4680 car since July, but finally caved. My EDD range is now this month. With the slow ramp in Austin, I figured I might need to wait until September to ensure a 4680 car, and doubted Tesla would let me keep stringing them along that long. While theoretically I could still end up with an Austin MY this month, I think my odds of having someone gift me the winning mega millions lottery ticket are about the same.

Reactions: Thp3
Upvote 0
Pennsylvania is still getting assigned Fremont deliveries. I have an order in for my and just got a vin number for a my made in Fremont. I want to postpone, so I can get my from Texas.
If yiu we’re assigned a vin you can’t put on hold until an Austin VIN is guaranteed. You can only reject and by rejecting now you will have to take the next VIN assigned or you will lose you order fee. Keep in mind, once deliveries from Austin start, there is no guarantee you’ll get an Austin vin as Austin will need to be delivering about 1000 cars a week to cover the back order of eastern US deliveries. So if you want to guarantee an Austin vin, cancel your order and wait until it is confirmed that Fremont is no longer shipping MY east of the Rockies (and in all reality by this point Fremont should have switched to 4680 just like Austin so it won’t matter).

Upvote 0
Same for me. I'm in California, and due to take delivery of Model Y in May/June, but want to specify Austin built car. Would gladly take delivery in TX, even if it pushes the delivery date out. What's the process?
These are really two-part questions. Most of the focus here is on solving for the right state. But you also need to solve for delivery date. May/June is still probably going to be small chance of an Austin car no matter what state you’re in. As MrBrock notes above, the only way to guarantee it is delay ordering until Austin (or 4680 Fremont) is all that is coming to the state in question.

Upvote 0
Yes on the two-part...in my case in SW CO, I am looking at seeing if I can change to Oklahoma City as a possible pickup location. I did a MY LR order in late-Dec., and EDD has been Aug. 2022 for a long time. That still seems possibly too early to be sure to get an Austin delivery, and I worry the EDD could move up at any time. Then, if I only have one delay, would that be enough...It is kind of nuts that we can't just ask Tesla to help us resolve this...given their skills, it would seem pretty simple to put on our record that we want an Austin car, then given our location tell us where we would have to go and when it would likely arrive.

Upvote 0
Yes on the two-part...in my case in SW CO, I am looking at seeing if I can change to Oklahoma City as a possible pickup location. I did a MY LR order in late-Dec., and EDD has been Aug. 2022 for a long time. That still seems possibly too early to be sure to get an Austin delivery, and I worry the EDD could move up at any time. Then, if I only have one delay, would that be enough...It is kind of nuts that we can't just ask Tesla to help us resolve this...given their skills, it would seem pretty simple to put on our record that we want an Austin car, then given our location tell us where we would have to go and when it would likely arrive.
Unfortunately Oklahoma does not allow direct to consumer delivery.

I was hoping they would deliver it to my house but that was a no go. Options are either I travel to Kansas City, MO to pick mine up or pay Tesla $750 and have them arrange a third party carrier to deliver it to the house.

Upvote 0

I don't think that is true, they can (and are planning according to various new outlets) to ship the car out of state and then back into TX, so picking up in TX or in the neighboring state should yield the same probability.

Reactions: Tim42069
Upvote 0
Even if you take delivery via an East coast location in the May/June time frame, there may be only a 25% chance it will be an Austin built MY. It will take some time for Austin production to ramp up to meet the demand for MYs going to the Eastern USA. My MY-LR order (completed Sept. 21) now has a June EDD and even though I live in FL I suspect I have only so-so odds of getting an Austin built MY.

Upvote 0
We are picking up our Y next week in MA. I wanted to wait for a Y from Austin with the new battery but Tesla woud not let me delay delivery. I could cancel and reorder but the new price is about $5000. more than when we ordered in September. We artrading in a 2018 Model 3 and decided to go ahead with the purchase. Hope we are not sorry if the Texas Ys are available soon!

Upvote 0
We are picking up our Y next week in MA. I wanted to wait for a Y from Austin with the new battery but Tesla woud not let me delay delivery. I could cancel and reorder but the new price is about $5000. more than when we ordered in September. We artrading in a 2018 Model 3 and decided to go ahead with the purchase. Hope we are not sorry if the Texas Ys are available soon!
They are still going to be limited when they are available. So chances are good you wouldn’t be guaranteed to get one unless you waited til 2023.

Upvote 0
It is highly unlikely that anyone will be able to tell the difference between an Austin MY and a Fremont one. The 4680s best feature to Tesla is it improves their margins. It may make the car a bit lighter, but there is no guarantee of that (at least until you can put an Austin built MY up against a Fremont one). I would more so understand a desire to hold out for Matrix lights, or dual-paned rear windows, a change that will be noticeable.

Upvote 0
Could you not put your order on hold once they assigned a vin? I’m in a position where I don’t need a car until May, but my EDd is late March. I was hoping to delay just a little bit.

Upvote 0
It is highly unlikely that anyone will be able to tell the difference between an Austin MY and a Fremont one. The 4680s best feature to Tesla is it improves their margins. It may make the car a bit lighter, but there is no guarantee of that (at least until you can put an Austin built MY up against a Fremont one). I would more so understand a desire to hold out for Matrix lights, or dual-paned rear windows, a change that will be noticeable.
I imagine a simple glance at the car’s gross weight would immediately differentiate the two as the Austin My should be lighter. Driving dynamics may be harder to tease out for the every day person. I also think that because of decreased weight they can place fewer battery cells for the same range and as a result supercharging may be marginally faster.

Upvote 0
I imagine a simple glance at the car’s gross weight would immediately differentiate the two as the Austin My should be lighter. Driving dynamics may be harder to tease out for the every day person. I also think that because of decreased weight they can place fewer battery cells for the same range and as a result supercharging may be marginally faster.
There are not many people who can walk up to a car and notice the gross weight, so I doubt that will be how people immediately differentiate Austin vs Fremont. All of that has to be read, just like it will probably need to be read that the 4680s are even installed.

Upvote 0
There are not many people who can walk up to a car and notice the gross weight, so I doubt that will be how people immediately differentiate Austin vs Fremont. All of that has to be read, just like it will probably need to be read that the 4680s are even installed.
In the door jam of the car there is a sticker that lists the gross weight of the vehicle. I’m no expert, but I believe this is universal

Upvote 0