Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdoor NEMA 14-50 Enclosure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I know NOTHING about electricity, can I use the above NEMA 14-50 to charge at 48 amps which I think is the max for my LR M3? I guess it depends on the breaker I use. 50 amp?

Nope. If you use the Gen 2 UMC that comes with the Model 3, you can charge max at 32A. If you have a Gen 1 UMC from another Tesla, you could charge at 40A max. To charge at 48A, you will need to have a Wall Connector.

Nope. If you use the Gen 2 UMC that comes with the Model 3, you can charge max at 32A. If you have a Gen 1 UMC from another Tesla, you could charge at 40A max. To charge at 48A, you will need to have a Wall Connector.

Nope. The breaker rating in North America is for instantaneous current, the continuous use is 80% of that. For a 50A breaker, the max charging current would be 40A. For 48A current, you need an HPWC (or a third-party EVSE that supports 48A) with a 60A breaker.

Reactions: eprosenx
Nope. The breaker rating in North America is for instantaneous current, the continuous use is 80% of that. For a 50A breaker, the max charging current would be 40A. For 48A current, you need an HPWC (or a third-party EVSE that supports 48A) with a 60A breaker.

I think that's what I said? :p But also the UMC Gen 2 further limited it to 32A max no matter what size of breaker you use. I have both Gen 1 and Gen 2 UMC and I can't get either the Model X or Model 3 to charge above 32A on the Gen 2 UMC.

And my electrician said that we may not even be able to install the Wall Charger since it's 50 amp and our box is rated at 125, considering all the other stuff we have running in the house.
That doesn't make sense. I don't like when people get mixed up between the capabilities of the hardware versus the capabilities of the circuit rating. The wall connector is a really variable circuit level device. It can go on a 15 amp circuit, or a 100 amp circuit, or many different levels in between. So it bothers me when people say stuff about how a wall connector can't be used, because they think it requires some big high amperage circuit.

• Love
Reactions: brkaus and eprosenx
No different installing a 14-50 or a WC set at the 50a breaker setting. A WC does have the ability to set down to 12a max (or something pretty low).

Not marketing one or another, the UMC is fine for many folks.

I should also call out that if you are limited in your service capacity you can always set a Wall Connector to 40a (32a continuous) which then would result in the same load on the service as a UMC Gen 2 on a 14-50r with either a 40a or 50a receptacle breaker.

As far as NEC load calcs are concerned, I think a UMC Gen 2 on a 14-50 with either a 40a or a 50a breaker counts as the same load since you add up nameplate capacity and not breaker capacity. (so I would always do a 14-50 on a 50a breaker unless for some reason you only had wire capable of 40 installed).

Note my response was for the original first gen UMC, not the gen 2 unit that comes with Model 3. Someone else reported further down that the cover CAN completely close with the gen 2 plug.

Resurrecting an old thread, but that's because I haven't found the answer to my specific question: Has anyone found a 14-50 enclosure that would hold the UMC2 with its cable and car plug?

I'm planning to install an outdoor (garage-wall-mounted) socket and would like to leave the UMC and its cable plugged in but out of sight when I'm not around during the day.

Resurrecting an old thread, but that's because I haven't found the answer to my specific question: Has anyone found a 14-50 enclosure that would hold the UMC2 with its cable and car plug?

I'm planning to install an outdoor (garage-wall-mounted) socket and would like to leave the UMC and its cable plugged in but out of sight when I'm not around during the day.
The main solution to this issue isn't really an enclosure for the 14-50 outlet, but more like a general purpose much larger box or cabinet that can be mounted to the wall around where the outlet is. I've seen a few pictures of ones like that here on this forum, and sometimes they're as simple as just a regular wooden box with a front door that can be opened or locked shut. Here's a thread with a couple of ideas, but this one in particular is a metal electrical enclosure box with rubber seals, so it can stay water resistant.
Anti-theft solutions for UMC in public garage?

• Informative
Reactions: A2be and Zcd1
The main solution to this issue isn't really an enclosure for the 14-50 outlet, but more like a general purpose much larger box or cabinet that can be mounted to the wall around where the outlet is. I've seen a few pictures of ones like that here on this forum, and sometimes they're as simple as just a regular wooden box with a front door that can be opened or locked shut. Here's a thread with a couple of ideas, but this one in particular is a metal electrical enclosure box with rubber seals, so it can stay water resistant.
Anti-theft solutions for UMC in public garage?

And that's why I love internet fora - they can be EXTREMELY effective and helpful at times, and this is definitely one of those times. Thanks so much for that link - the box is pretty much exactly what I was looking for!

And that's why I love internet fora - they can be EXTREMELY effective and helpful at times, and this is definitely one of those times. Thanks so much for that link - the box is pretty much exactly what I was looking for!
Different sized boxes could be for slightly different use cases. Sometimes people want it big enough, that they can coil up the whole cable and stick it inside the box to lock it to prevent it from being used by anyone else. But sometimes people just need a smaller one that covers over the area where it is plugged in, but lets the cord come out a hole in the bottom just to prevent anyone from unplugging and taking it.

Different sized boxes could be for slightly different use cases. Sometimes people want it big enough, that they can coil up the whole cable and stick it inside the box to lock it to prevent it from being used by anyone else. But sometimes people just need a smaller one that covers over the area where it is plugged in, but lets the cord come out a hole in the bottom just to prevent anyone from unplugging and taking it.

I'm in the former camp - I want to tuck it all away and out of sight when not in use. I've already found larger boxes that will fit my purpose, now that I know what to call them when I search!! ;-)

Thanks again!

Reactions: brkaus
I'm in the former camp - I want to tuck it all away and out of sight when not in use. I've already found larger boxes that will fit my purpose, now that I know what to call them when I search!! ;-)

Thanks again!

Here is another example:

Installing a charging station for work

And there are some photo bucket links in this thread that are also interesting:
Tesla Wall Charger or NEMA with mobile charging cable for outdoor? | Tesla

Note that I am generally a fan of just installing a Wall Connector, but everyone has different use cases and needs! ;-)

• Informative
Reactions: ai4px and Zcd1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQWP56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This works fine and has a small lock.
No problems since it was installed.

Ah I should’ve found this post earlier for my questions before starting a new one. Hopefully it’s ok if I bump this one...

I just had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed outdoors with outdoor covering. It closes and protects the outlet part (I don’t plan on ever unplugging this since repetitive usage of plugging and replugging isn’t recommended)

That said, is it ok if I unplug the UMC part? See photos attached. The outlet plug part just dangles... I’d probably use this maybe once a week to be honest. But I’m assuming this part isn’t meant for repetitive usage either?

The alternative is that I leave everything plugged in (NEMA outlet and the UMC connector), and find a way to enclose and protect both those pieces... which I feel like would involve a pretty large box or something.

Attachments

• 8B5A4F1C-238C-4CA8-9E9F-B37AACD559DF.jpeg
    8B5A4F1C-238C-4CA8-9E9F-B37AACD559DF.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 54F6DF27-A810-459C-AD86-ED7365B8F08D.jpeg
    54F6DF27-A810-459C-AD86-ED7365B8F08D.jpeg
    454.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 71F5EF08-FCE9-4761-B8E8-C47931FDD2D5.jpeg
    71F5EF08-FCE9-4761-B8E8-C47931FDD2D5.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 183
I would try to minimize unplugging the UMC part too. I think the receptacle and the adaptor would be cheaper to replace than the entire UMC.

Is the area safe? If so, you could leave the entire thing outside.

Yeah it's safe. Someone would need to break into my driveway gate and get into my backyard where this is located... in which case, I'd be more concerned with other things ha

Sounds like consensus is to leave everything plugged in (nema plug and the UMC part).... The nema plug is covered completely via the outdoor enclosure in the images, so I'm mainly just concerned about the UMC part being outside. Even though it's "rated for outdoor use"

Came across other posts where people said they've had theirs outside in the open elements for years with no issues. For whatever that's worth.

Personally, I'd leave the entire thing plugged in. Put a hook on the wall for the box and one for the cord. I have't looked at our Gen2 UMC to see if one orientation or another is better for outdoors. I purchased a WC, but only because of a utility company 50% rebate.

I've never used the UMC for travel, so the "keep one in the trunk" argument doesn't stand for me.