Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

over 12 thousand miles and nearly a years ownership of Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I still love my Model Y, do I miss ICE ? Nope not a bit ! Never had to queue for a SC and when the day comes so what as I have saved countless hours not driving to the petrol station.

Love the self driving ability of the car and would never buy anything in the future without it, Oh and particularly like warming the car from the breakfast table before leaving the house.

I could go on and yes there are niggles but so had every other car I have owned and finally thanks to Octopus its cheap as chips to run.

Just thought with all the negative posts for would be owners to read I would add a real life perspective from a current user....

Never had to queue for a SC and when the day comes so what as I have saved countless hours not driving to the petrol station.
Also, you just point it and it goes. Basically anywhere. Incredible on normal tyres even - I take it places around us that are the domain of the farmers’ Land Rover normally. He thinks it’s hilarious.

This is the top of a forestry track I use which has some pretty chunky slopes and turns into a big run off twice a year. Its just not phased as long as it’s in off road mode and there’s no sheet ice.

BD714C1F-6703-4414-96D9-56B464E4894C.jpeg

Thanks for this post. I will very shortly be a first-time EV-owner and a first-time Tesla-owner, and it can be a bit nerve racking reading this and other Tesla social media. It can require regular reminders to myself that it is those who are looking for help or to vent frustration that more frequently post their experience, compared to people who are happy with day to day life with their cars.

As with any new car I’ve bought, I hope my new MY doesn’t have any specific issues, and I think I’m going in to the purchase with open eyes about EV ownership and the Tesla ways of doing things (for good and for bad). With those caveats, I’m expecting the experience to be quietly positive.

Thanks for this post. I will very shortly be a first-time EV-owner and a first-time Tesla-owner, and it can be a bit nerve racking reading this and other Tesla social media. It can require regular reminders to myself that it is those who are looking for help or to vent frustration that more frequently post their experience, compared to people who are happy with day to day life with their cars.

As with any new car I’ve bought, I hope my new MY doesn’t have any specific issues, and I think I’m going in to the purchase with open eyes about EV ownership and the Tesla ways of doing things (for good and for bad). With those caveats, I’m expecting the experience to be quietly positive.
Yes, sometimes we are all guilty a bit of rant for whatever reason but there is always a silent majority who love their car and have no problems. I haven’t had any real issues, just a few very minor things In the last 3 years. Pressing the loud pedal now and again makes ownership worthwhile 😁

compared to people who are happy with day to day life with their cars

I've had 2 x MSs (since 2015) and an M3 replaced by MY, plus 2x M3 for family members.

Did 95K miles in first MS over 3.5 years - back when there were not that many Superchargers and 3rd party charging was even worse [and sparse] than today (if you can imagine it ...).

Early on I had a headlight fault [MS] (toggling Dip/Beam repeated / unpredictably) which made the car undriveable at night (Tesla picked it up and dropped off a loaner .. don't suppose that do that now!), and one of the M3 had a panel gap on collection (which they fixed there-and-then, that doesn't happen now either, and they fixed something else too which our PDI hadn't spotted ...)

I have very rarely had any phantom braking in any of the cars. Didn't service the MS for the final 50K miles ...

Other than that nothing to report that I can remember.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Never had to queue for a SC and when the day comes so what as I have saved countless hours not driving to the petrol station.
I nearly had to queue as Gretna the other week, luckily someone was just leaving, apart from that not come close to queuing and don't plan to, I believe with adequate planning of alternative non services chargers and avoiding peak periods it should be avoidable!

I have mentioned before if I had read the posts before buying Tesla I wouldn’t have bought one. So, I understand your nervousness. Luckily I started reading the posts seriously after buying Tesla.

Just to reassure you, it is a great car whether 3 or Y. It has its own quirks just like any other car. I have spent just £70 maintaining my model 3 in the last 18 months - that is a big thing for me as I don’t like to go to the service centres frequently. The other advantage of electric cars including cheap tariff charging etc., saved me around £2000-3000 in these 18 months. There was one puncture but that you get that in any car - kwikfit came to my place and replaced the tyre (around £200). Autopilot or wipers or AHB did not bother me that much or they were definitely way better than my previous rangerovers and BMWs.

My only initial irritation was with the seat belt - rubbing the neck but that was fixed with a seat belt adjuster. And my occasional worry about getting a SR+ rather than LR as I do long trips. But that has nothing to do with the Tesla.

Reactions: Doudeau and rob@rar
And I still love my Model Y, do I miss ICE ? Nope not a bit ! Never had to queue for a SC and when the day comes so what as I have saved countless hours not driving to the petrol station.

Love the self driving ability of the car and would never buy anything in the future without it, Oh and particularly like warming the car from the breakfast table before leaving the house.

I could go on and yes there are niggles but so had every other car I have owned and finally thanks to Octopus its cheap as chips to run.

Just thought with all the negative posts for would be owners to read I would add a real life perspective from a current user....

I've now done 15k since March and my experience is parallel to yours. I would not hesitate to make the same choice again and I have had A LOT of cars in the last 35 years..
One of the reasons I don't frequent this forum anymore is the amount of negativity towards the cars- for a while it made me look at my MY more negatively. The less I read on here now - the more I love my car...

I really don't know why some of the posters just don't sell up and move on..

`

Also, you just point it and it goes. Basically anywhere. Incredible on normal tyres even - I take it places around us that are the domain of the farmers’ Land Rover normally. He thinks it’s hilarious.

This is the top of a forestry track I use which has some pretty chunky slopes and turns into a big run off twice a year. Its just not phased as long as it’s in off road mode and there’s no sheet ice.

View attachment 912072

I've had 2 model 3's since August 2019. First one was the performance, the present one is a Long Range.
Driven over 40,000 miles between them. They both drive beautifully.
Discovered the Hardknott pass in Eskdale - couldn't resist it! What an experience! - never driven on a road like it - the 4WD model 3 absolutely conquered it with no problems - I think I would like to try it in the cold and wet :cool:
Two minor problems with the 1st Model 3 - I guess they were 'teething problems' both resolved by SC in Manchester with absolutely no hassle.

I would recommend to anyone

As a 3.5 year in M3 Owner I'd like to echo your comments, I absolutely love the Car and as you say on Octopus Go etc it's incredibly cheap to run. The car was recently in the Glasgow SC for some recall work and that process was seamless. I think on Forums like this there is a natural tendency for people to post negative feedback when I think there's a silent majority who are essentially happy, so well done for trying to provide some balance !

I've now done 15k since March and my experience is parallel to yours. I would not hesitate to make the same choice again and I have had A LOT of cars in the last 35 years..
One of the reasons I don't frequent this forum anymore is the amount of negativity towards the cars- for a while it made me look at my MY more negatively. The less I read on here now - the more I love my car...

I really don't know why some of the posters just don't sell up and move on..
Because this section is the moaning UK forum and not the bright optimistic US bit.

Plus its always important to get a range of views, not just a eulogy from an echo chamber. I think this forum provides an honest debate about the issues surrounding Tesla and EV ownership.

Reactions: EV1980
I have to say when I started the EV journey in May last year I was fully resigned to a full on love-hate relationship. 17,000 miles in and I love it. Tesla has quirks and a totally different way of doing things. Just takes a little getting used too.

Being a high miler the SuperCharger network has been great. Also have used normal chargers from time to time and the experience is chalk and cheese. Range has not been an issue. One of our first long journeys was a holiday to France towing a large trailer tent with bikes on top. One charging stop in the Uk got us to the campsite in Brittany and the rest of the charging was on the campsite hook up.

Stopping to charge is not much of a faff as you may think sure you can’t fill the tank in 5mins like ICE but often, stopping for a pee break or a sandwich and to car is telling you it’s ready to go. Plus you can’t fill you car with petrol overnight or while parked which is most of the life of the car.

Intelligent Octopus home electric tariff has helped keep the charging costs down and has worked flawlessly until this month. But it’s up and running again as of tonight.

Sure I could be a moaning mini but at least because of regular software updates things get fixed (eventually) eg wipers and auto high beam. To many of the traditional ICE makers still don’t get the SW side of things.

The missus is even committed to the EV revolution with an MG4 on order and actually available.

So the only remaining ICE will be our Splitty camper. At 20mpg and a small tank its ~150 miles between fill ups.