TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Overcharging from HPWC

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by aesculus, Jun 25, 2017.

1. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Last Friday I had a full day of EV trips running to/from the airport multiple times. At the end of the day I plugged into my HPWC (car set to 72 amps on 100 amp circuit). The car was at 14% when I plugged it in and the charger was set as usual to timed delay charging at 11PM.

I have turned off charging notifications on my phone since they started sending out sound alerts so I am not sure what the charging state was early Saturday morning. But when I went to check the app on Sunday AM, I noticed it was at 94%. I went to the car and verified that it was indeed set to max at 90% where it always resides.

Any thoughts on why the car exceeded the 90% level that was set?

2. MasterT

MasterT Member

Did you get a firmware update recently?

• Like x 1
  3. aesculus

Nope. 17.14.23

4. MasterT

MasterT Member

I've read another post where they reported battery was charged to 95% while being set to 90% after a firmware update, that's why I asked.

5. travwill

travwill Active Member

I’ve had this happen a few times. In my case the car completes at its usual RR, but in checking back later it seems to add a few extra percent on top of that after completing.

I thought it was warmer weather at times or now just figure it is the BMS doing its thing.

6. aesculus

OK. First time I noticed it but since I don't have the app notify me of charging complete, it might have happened before.

Have not noticed it again since.

7. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Lithium ion battery state of charge is estimated. Sometimes the estimate gets revised based on observed cell behavior.

Most likely your car stopped at what it expected would be 90% and later decided it seems like the battery has 95% charge.

The only way to really know how much capacity the battery has is to discharge it fully.

• Informative x 1
  8. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

The car charges above the preset limit when you charge the car from a low state, such as under 50 miles.

9. aesculus

That was not the issue though. I was still around 14% when I plugged it in. Since that was about as low as it's been for months, that probably triggered the recalc as @mal_tsla pointed out.