Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overcharging from HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
Last Friday I had a full day of EV trips running to/from the airport multiple times. At the end of the day I plugged into my HPWC (car set to 72 amps on 100 amp circuit). The car was at 14% when I plugged it in and the charger was set as usual to timed delay charging at 11PM.

I have turned off charging notifications on my phone since they started sending out sound alerts so I am not sure what the charging state was early Saturday morning. But when I went to check the app on Sunday AM, I noticed it was at 94%. I went to the car and verified that it was indeed set to max at 90% where it always resides.

Any thoughts on why the car exceeded the 90% level that was set?

I’ve had this happen a few times. In my case the car completes at its usual RR, but in checking back later it seems to add a few extra percent on top of that after completing.

I thought it was warmer weather at times or now just figure it is the BMS doing its thing.

Lithium ion battery state of charge is estimated. Sometimes the estimate gets revised based on observed cell behavior.

Most likely your car stopped at what it expected would be 90% and later decided it seems like the battery has 95% charge.

The only way to really know how much capacity the battery has is to discharge it fully.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus