Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overnight Charging at Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I set my overnight charging to be done during off peak hours whenever I can.

I have mine set to start charging at midnight with the car planned to be charged to the designated amount before 07:00 hrs, when off peak finishes. Up until last night, the car would always start charging at the designated 12:00 midnight and complete sometime thereafter. However, last night the car started charging at 5:40 am and completed at 6:10 am to the designated set point of 70% on this occasion. Only this one sample, so will be interesting to see if that repeats.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? What do you see of the plusses and minuses of this scenario, should this become the default behaviour?

See attached doc of recorded times when my car charges. I think you can easily see the period of charge on the graphs. :) The shaded area shows when peak electricity starts. (The 24th was off-peak all day of course).

upload_2016-12-30_11-48-54.png

upload_2016-12-30_11-49-6.png

upload_2016-12-30_11-49-16.png

upload_2016-12-30_11-48-23.png

I set my overnight charging to be done during off peak hours whenever I can.

I have mine set to start charging at midnight with the car planned to be charged to the designated amount before 07:00 hrs, when off peak finishes. Up until last night, the car would always start charging at the designated 12:00 midnight and complete sometime thereafter. However, last night the car started charging at 5:40 am and completed at 6:10 am to the designated set point of 70% on this occasion. Only this one sample, so will be interesting to see if that repeats.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? What do you see of the plusses and minuses of this scenario, should this become the default behaviour?

See attached doc of recorded times when my car charges. I think you can easily see the period of charge on the graphs. :) The shaded area shows when peak electricity starts. (The 24th was off-peak all day of course).

View attachment 208206
View attachment 208207
View attachment 208208
View attachment 208205
Do you use the car's timer to set the charge time, or is it your household controller?

I have at times found the car's timer to be unreliable, but did I really set it right ?????

No solar for us unfortunately due to the huge 108 year old gum tree next door, so we pay the extra 8c/kWh for greenpower and mostly fill the car from the off peak circuit (charger on right) which turns itself on at about 11:30pm, fortunately not relying on Tessie's timer!

20161230_172422~01.jpg

Something similar happened to me a few months ago although it was not the time setting but the Charge Current setting that was lost.
It wasn't until I looked at the navigation app when I saw that the car thought it was in the middle of Morton National Park.
I rebooted the screen and dash but it didn't update until I went for a short drive to allow the GPS to reset.
No problems since then.