TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Overnight Charging at Home

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by brewster, Dec 29, 2016.

1. brewster

brewster Member

I set my overnight charging to be done during off peak hours whenever I can.

I have mine set to start charging at midnight with the car planned to be charged to the designated amount before 07:00 hrs, when off peak finishes. Up until last night, the car would always start charging at the designated 12:00 midnight and complete sometime thereafter. However, last night the car started charging at 5:40 am and completed at 6:10 am to the designated set point of 70% on this occasion. Only this one sample, so will be interesting to see if that repeats.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? What do you see of the plusses and minuses of this scenario, should this become the default behaviour?

See attached doc of recorded times when my car charges. I think you can easily see the period of charge on the graphs. :) The shaded area shows when peak electricity starts. (The 24th was off-peak all day of course).

upload_2016-12-30_11-48-54.png
    upload_2016-12-30_11-49-6.png
    upload_2016-12-30_11-49-16.png
    upload_2016-12-30_11-48-23.png

2. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Do you use the car's timer to set the charge time, or is it your household controller?

I have at times found the car's timer to be unreliable, but did I really set it right ?????

3. brewster

brewster Member

Just the car's timer.
    20161230_123153.jpg

4. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

No solar for us unfortunately due to the huge 108 year old gum tree next door, so we pay the extra 8c/kWh for greenpower and mostly fill the car from the off peak circuit (charger on right) which turns itself on at about 11:30pm, fortunately not relying on Tessie's timer!

20161230_172422~01.jpg

5. Mark E

Mark E Member

Mine is set to charge from 11pm onwards, and the charger itself is switched via a contractor when off peak is active. It's always started on time.

6. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Something similar happened to me a few months ago although it was not the time setting but the Charge Current setting that was lost.
    It wasn't until I looked at the navigation app when I saw that the car thought it was in the middle of Morton National Park.
    I rebooted the screen and dash but it didn't update until I went for a short drive to allow the GPS to reset.
    No problems since then.

7. brewster

brewster Member

Normal charge time overnight. Started at my set midnight.

• Like x 1
  8. TesAus

TesAus Member

Was there a software update download or install happening the night it started late?

9. brewster

brewster Member

That's a good thought ... checked my software update, it was the 24th December.

10. garyjac

garyjac Member

I always let the off peak relay control the circuit for overnight charging and leave the car without a charging schedule at home.