Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, the one that I received was significantly shorter, like 3 feet.

I tried that with the Sparkfun antenna that I have and it works like a charm. I routed the cable along the side under the passenger door sill. (this was before I had my rear window tinted)

We managed to source one with a longer cable, and that is what is shipping now.

I'm eager also but it was already indicated "Ships on March 7th, 2012. Typically delivers in 3 to 7 days after shipping." on the website. Not quite as bad as waiting for the Model S... :wink:

We had a mass QC event yesterday, and the first end-user batch has gone out.

Nigel,dsm: yours have shipped. You should be able to go to "My Account" on Open Vehicle Systems and check order status to get the tracking numbers.

I doubt you'll get it by the weekend - more likely some time next week. But, the good news is the time difference gives you a half-day advantage ;-)

Last edited:
One hint: to speed up deployment, you can start the registration process while waiting for delivery.

Send us in ([email protected]) your openvehicles.com user name, requested vehicle id and network password. We can then set this up on the servers ready for when you install.

Thanks. What do you mean by requested vehicle ID and network password (I assume this means I can pick my username for the device and can assign my own password but wanted to double check).

Thanks. What do you mean by requested vehicle ID and network password (I assume this means I can pick my username for the device and can assign my own password but wanted to double check).

We don't really care about the format of the vehicleid. Most users seem to be choosing the VIN# (eg; EU999, US049) or license plate number (eg; EV915 - mine). Just so long as it is unique. You probably want to just use capital letters and numbers to keep it simple.

The network password is a shared secret between the car, server and apps. It is used for authentication and encryption. Make up anything you want, but again probably letters and numbers only for simplicity.

Regards, Mark.

We are glad to release the v1.2 User Guide for OVMS in the Tesla Roadster.

You can download it direct from github at:
https://github.com/markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/blob/master/docs/OVMS_UserGuide_TeslaRoadster.pdf?raw=true

The guide contains instructions for installing the module in the car, as well as initial setup for access. It has been updated to match the features in the v1.2 car firmware, and latest GSM/GPRS hardware switch on the car module.

I recommend that everyone currently attempting installation download this revised guide, as it contains some important new information (in particular, reflecting some feedback we've had from developers and initial deployments).

Response to this has been nothing short of incredible. Over 1,800 downloads of the iPhone App alone, and so far we've shipped almost 4 times the number of modules that we expected.

Feedback from the initial end-users deployments has also been amazing. We're really glad you like it :)

We've shipped what we have and should have just enough to satisfy the recent orders. New orders will have to wait perhaps 10 days for the next batch of modules to arrive from the factories. We'll rush this as fast as we can, but please bear with us - we need to QC each and every module to keep the quality and reliability as good as we can.We ship strictly first-come-first-served, so please let us know what you need.

Mark.