Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've installed the antenna next to the passengers head; seems to work ok. I ran the cable behind the rubber strip that links the interior black plastic to the body.

Is that second picture the passenger side (right in US)? I ran my down on side of carpet so not really hidden but can't see it. Also put antenna behind right side passenger headrest.

The second picture is the US passenger side. It sounds like it's similar to your install, I tucked the cable under the passenger kick place and cable-tied it under the dash to ensure that it's invisible.

Look like you pulled up the doorsill covers? So you ran down the passenger side door frame (inside the existing rubber strip) then under the doorsill cover, then out into the passenger footwell. Sounds quite easy. How long did it take doing it that way?

I don't think so, as I understand it, the userid and password aren't required on AT&T, never used them in the past, not using them now. I suspect they're being ignored if you're passing values in.
You're probably right. If you got it to work without anything then that's what's happening. I couldn't find the answer and called AT&T. They were not helpful. As soon as they figured out it wasn't an AT&T phone the SIM card was in, they weren't willing to help.

They were utterly crap in-store!

"I'd like a data only sim for a 'data-logger' please."
"We don't have any."
"Er… yes, you do."
"No, really, we don't have any data only sims, you'd have to talk to our business people and even then, I used to work for business and they'd probably won't be able to help you."
"Look, a friend of mine picked one up, suggested in-store was the only way."
"We'll, you're 'Friend' is wrong, I've been working here for blah, blah, blah."

So, I flipped open the iPhone, scanned for your post and hit her with:
"I'd like a Go-Phone sim with 200 texts and 10Mb of data…. please."

Stunned silence followed by:
"Is this some blog you're reading or a proper source of information, who is this guy? Where is he from? What connection does he have with AT&T?"
"Someone who has been through this, Texas and customer. Oh, and, would you mind activating it for me?… he says."

After another pause she ends with:
"As long as you appreciate that this is all on you, we can't garuntee this, it might not work and if it doesn't then you'll be left on your own, there's NO WAY that I can give you a refund… NONE, do you understand?"
"And how much would I be out if this doesn't work?"
…. "About $10… which I can't refund."
"I'll take that risk."

And off she goes in a huff.

They were utterly crap in-store!

I had a similar but more pleasant experience in the store. It took a long time and a lot of explaining what I wanted but they were nice at least. Why the Paygo phone can't bill you 'as you go' and not have to pre fill more money than you use a month is beyond me. The activating it in the store (unless you have a spare AT&T phone at home) is the way to go. Also, change your PIN before you leave the store so you can log into the Paygo website (they send a text to your new number when you click 'change PIN' on the website. I had to go back to the store to put the SIM back into a phone and get the message.

Let me verify but, I think that the OVMS auto-forwards any unrecognized SMS messages. I received a couple of customer service questionnaires yesterday via push notification.

It does.

The module also has the ability to make those *xxx# calls to check balance, but only Android App supports that at the moment. It will come to iPhone in due course.

It does.

The module also has the ability to make those *xxx# calls to check balance, but only Android App supports that at the moment. It will come to iPhone in due course.

Do you need to have the module powered up in your car with the activated SIM and your account registered with the service first though?

Last edited:
Haha, I'm printing off your post and dsm's at&t post and taking them with me to the at&t store tomorrow to get myself a card. Wish me luck! :wink:

It's probably better to not tell them what you want it for. That just sends them up a wall and confuses them. Just ask for a SIM card and the 10 cent/min PayGo plan with 200 text messages per month and 10 MB/month data each for $5. Have them stick it into a phone and activate it too to verify it works. Good luck.