Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS v3.1 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's gone crazy since 4/1. I've had 2 auto-refills ($10 each) in the last two days!
View attachment 530146

Best to set a data cap so this doesn't happen...

The usual cause is (a) firmware updates being configured over Cellular (defaults to not), (b) vehicle id / password incorrect (so server rejects authentication), or (c) very old firmware not backing off (like more modern firmware does). It could be something different, but those are the first things to check. Message me your vehicle ID, and I will look at what the server says.

Is there a "OVMS Installation for Dummies". Spent 4 hours this afternoon and at the end I was no closer getting it installed than when I started out. :mad: I thought I was following the installation steps, but somewhere along the lines everything goes to pot. :( The biggest issue is do I use the Hologram internet connection for the install or my home connection or do you have to go back and forth? o_O

Is there a "OVMS Installation for Dummies". Spent 4 hours this afternoon and at the end I was no closer getting it installed than when I started out. :mad: I thought I was following the installation steps, but somewhere along the lines everything goes to pot. :( The biggest issue is do I use the Hologram internet connection for the install or my home connection or do you have to go back and forth? o_O
You don't need the Hologram connection for configuring the module; in fact, I don't think you can use the modem until the unit is configured. And note that it does not need to be hooked to the car to do so. Just a USB connection to a PC / Laptop for power, and use the built-in WiFi hotspot for configuring it with a web browser, or if you are more comfortable with a command-line shell, you can use PUTTY (or the like) to talk to it that way.

There is a really well made video on the whole process. It was made by a eNiro owner, so the cabling will be different - no GPS antenna, and the cable going to the car uses the Roadster diagnostic connector, not an OBDII, but the overall process is similar. The config process starts at about the 11 minute mark.

Best to set a data cap so this doesn't happen...

The usual cause is (a) firmware updates being configured over Cellular (defaults to not), (b) vehicle id / password incorrect (so server rejects authentication), or (c) very old firmware not backing off (like more modern firmware does). It could be something different, but those are the first things to check. Message me your vehicle ID, and I will look at what the server says.

Couldn't figure out how to cap data so just unplugged the unit for the time being . . . the usage on the Hologram Dash looked like repeated 5MB chunks. is that a firmware download? i don't think i changed that to use cellular, but i've done stranger things and not remembered . . .

One possible reason for high data usage is that you have a phone / tablet somewhere that is remaining connected to the OVMS app. That will keep the connection to the car open, getting live updates. Close the app and your usage should drop nearly to zero.

It also helps to keep the module connected to WiFi whenever it's at home, if your parking logistics allow that. The module should switch automatically between WiFi and Cell, preferring WiFi if it's available.

One possible reason for high data usage is that you have a phone / tablet somewhere that is remaining connected to the OVMS app. That will keep the connection to the car open, getting live updates. Close the app and your usage should drop nearly to zero.

It also helps to keep the module connected to WiFi whenever it's at home, if your parking logistics allow that. The module should switch automatically between WiFi and Cell, preferring WiFi if it's available.

Thanks.

When I opened the app I saw that during this time I had no info from the car. April 1st, when the cell data went crazy, was the last data received from the unit so it looks like something else is / was going on.

Who here uses Hologram? I've been getting charged $20 every 3 days...yes that's $200 a month. It was advertised as $20 per month when I signed up a year ago. Apparently it's through Tmobile. Any other options? I called to question the bill but haven't heard anything yet.

it looks like you might be having the same issue as me.

did the high data use start on 4/1? i've unplugged the OVMS for now.

i sent @markwj my vehicle ID and he was going to look at what kind of communications were happening to cause this.

OVMS refusing to access my WiFi. I tried my home Wifi, my downstairs WiFi, and my iPhone WiFi.

It sees my computer and such but won't access Wifi. "WiFi connection failed!" "The module could not connect to the WiFi network"....etc...

I tried 2 dozen times on my 2G and my 5G network and on hotspot with my iPhone WiFi network.

I also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the OVMS power USB cable.

Last edited:
@TOBASH, well I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't access the WiFi. I tried yesterday for 4 hours to get this set up, gave up as I kept getting timed out errors could not access WiFi. This afternoon was able to get in once and almost got through getting my module set up, but then had to take 673 to the service center to have the wheels removed so I could get three of the rims which were bent to the wheel shop. Needless to say when I got back later and tried to complete the installation process no luck. :mad: Spent another hour after dinner with same results so quitting for the night, maybe tomorrow, I need to positive about this or else it is going on eBay. :)
Where mine is timing out is when I type in the URL address 192.168.4.1, according to the installation directions that is what you are suppose to do, well that doesn't work....................

Now the damned thing is totally buggard, saying installation complete despite not letting me enter WiFi, Cellphone, etc, and it won't let me get back into the setup page!

MARKJ, I need help as the device is NOT working correctly and now won't allow me to activate the cellphone chip or update the firmware or anything else.

It is behaving as if it is defective.

I followed all instructions and then it glitched!

Is it possible to reset this device and restart??!!

It obviously has some issue

Ok, checking what "access" is the issue. If you have an Android phone, and it's not accessing the module (or doing so intermittently), turn off your phone's Cellular Data access. Android phones don't know how to do basic IP routing, and will always shove data out to the cell network if the WiFi doesn't appear to be able to access the Internet. Turning off the Cell data path fixes that. (Don't forget to turn it back on when you're done!)