Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS v3.1 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good stuff -- thanks.

I was having the modem problem when I powered the OVMS through the USB but now it is plugged into the car. I won't get a chance to try this for a few days but I will try to configure the modem with it plugged in this way to see if that works. If not then I'll take it apart to make sure everything is well-seated. I did buy the US unit with the SIM and everything so it has the modem module. I'm optimistic that it just wasn't getting enough power from the USB. Thank you for the advice!

@hmbprius , I can appreciate your apprehension. It turns out that it is really not that complicated. The online instructions and videos are good and the system seems pretty forgiving (i.e. if you get stuck unplug it and plug it back in). Plus the community here is very helpful. It is not expensive and it is great to get roadster status on the phone. I suggest you just go for it! :)

These are the items that I bought to go with my Roadster 1.5

1. 9665972 OVMS Data Cable for Early Teslas 1
2. 1000500 OpenVehicles OVMS GSM Antenna 1
3. 9642829 OVMS v3 Kit w/ SIM5360 3G Modem Module (US Edition) 1

Thanks,
Paul

Reactions: drewski
1B9CFB8F-CB4C-4695-A12F-C9743C73627E.png

Shout out to @m1k3 ! He was able to get the app working. It says “live” with green signal. Now it’s time to see if the modem will connect. As for the device, I would not hesitate to buy it. Even if the app never worked for me just being able to see the temps while charging, CAC, SOC, etc was good enough for me. So for those on the fence I highly recommend buying it. Maybe someone on the forum will eventually post a video from beginning to end on how to install and configure the app, Hologram and modem.

I keep hearing great things about the OVMS, but it is a little intimidating. Once I get the bits from fastech, and reread everything from open vehicles site, I probably would still want someone who has done it before to hold my hand....but I have to echo the comments above the folks in this community who contributed to this effort are amazing.
I'm one of the developers of the OVMSv3 code and I'd be happy to help you with the install if you find that you do need help. I'm on the other side of the hill from you...

Reactions: AtAge19
I keep hearing great things about the OVMS, but it is a little intimidating. Once I get the bits from fastech, and reread everything from open vehicles site, I probably would still want someone who has done it before to hold my hand....but I have to echo the comments above the folks in this community who contributed to this effort are amazing.

Easiest is to PM me directly. I can pre-configure a module for you, and setup all the accounts prior to shipping. Then, when you get the module all you have to do is physically install it in the car.

Easiest is to PM me directly. I can pre-configure a module for you, and setup all the accounts prior to shipping. Then, when you get the module all you have to do is physically install it in the car.
What do I need to order for a 2.5?
I think I've gone out to my roadster so many times to check on charge, status, etc, so maybe having this capability will allow me to check from the living room instead of getting up and walking 20 feet, crawling into the cockpit, pulling up info, plus the ability to see stuff while charging would be a benefit.

I’m glad you posted this, because it prepared me for what I expected a user experience like windows 3.1. It has not disappointed so far. 40 minutes of my life I won’t get back and counting. Nothing should be this counterintuitive. Made more frustrating by having a car parked in an underground garage so problem solving that requires an internet connection is going to have to wait indefinitely.

Hi XLR8,

I did most of the configuration and testing with the device on my coffee table attached to the USB on my laptop
and using my home wifi for wifi needs...
Mark and the instructions warn to attach the GSM antenna before powering the unit or damage may result.

I think you will be surprised how much of the configuration may be accomplished without the Roadster attached.

Shawn

Reactions: gregd and AtAge19
I don’t have a computer with me so it’s only power is in the car. And I use periods in my sign on name, and the name I was allowed to register with, but NOT the name I can use once connected. Who does that? Allows you to use a username that you can’t use. I didn’t find that out as the warning showed above the fold on the screen.

I don’t have a computer with me so it’s only power is in the car. And I use periods in my sign on name, and the name I was allowed to register with, but NOT the name I can use once connected. Who does that? Allows you to use a username that you can’t use. I didn’t find that out as the warning showed above the fold on the screen.

What username? The vehicle module shouldn't require a user name at all. To connect to the server, it just needs a vehicle ID and server password.

The entire installation process is over wifi, so you will need wifi connectivity to the Internet (as it says in the pre-installation requirements of the guide). If you don't have that in the garage, then best to plug the module into USB and do the install somewhere with wifi.

My vehicle ID was x.l.r.8
Then x.l.r.8 690
I see the problem now, but that was the vehicle ID I was able to use to register before I fitted the unit to the car.

OK. That makes more sense. For the v3 module and firmware, the vehicle ID is also used for MDNS style stuff, so I think periods (.) will not be permitted. The older v2 firmware didn't care. I guess the server registration doesn't enforce as there are still a few v2 users out there (and actually a handful of v1 still). I've raised an issue on github to ensure it is not overlooked:

Server (drupal) validation of vehicle ID, password, etc, should match v3 module · Issue #257 · openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3

Regards, Mark.

Hi XLR8,

A suggestion to save your antenna installation time - Buy another GSM antenna on Amazon for $3 to $8 with free shipping.
Use the new one for configuration at work, then bring the configured unit home to the car...

Mark???

Shawn

Being overly difficult, if I plug my ovms into my computer at work. It will not have the GSM Ariel plugged in as I have that routed through my car. Does this mean I done on this journey?

I suggest you plug the module into your laptop, connect to it over wifi, and then disable the modem in the configuration. It is one check-box on the config/auto page. You can also power down the modem from that interface.

Then you can do the rest of the setup over wifi (without worrying about the modem).

When all is done, and working well, then you can re-enable the modem before shutting down and taking it to the car.

Regards, Mark.

I couldn’t enable the modem. That was where I was stuck no matter what I tried all I kept getting was
68931A51-2306-4693-8993-1503719EFB6F.jpeg
I’m one of those people who once they lose faith in a product I’m one foot out the door. I read in the roadster manual about having to turn the modem on, but it seems I’m clutching at straws because much of the information I’m reading is outdated, never knowing how fast these things move I’m unsure if I’m reading stuff that’s current or refers to the ovms v2. And no matter how much someone tries to explain it, if you don’t understand the language it’s just like shouting and expecting to be understood. I’m heading to my renovation property where I have WiFi and internet and a spare laptop that work doesn’t have locked down. Hopefully it works, failing that I’ll get a gps tracker and put the SIM in that, it pretty much the main reason that I wanted it for in the first place.

Just to close the loop on my situation.... my modem never said anything except "powering up." As @m1k3 pointed out, my modem had become disconnected from the main board. I opened it up and seated it where it belongs and the rest of the setup was smooth.

I do love the ovms!

Thank you!

I couldn’t enable the modem. That was where I was stuck no matter what I tried all I kept getting was
View attachment 448150

The entire installation process is over wifi, so you will need wifi connectivity to the Internet (as it says in the pre-installation requirements of the guide). If you don't have that in the garage, then best to plug the module into USB and do the install somewhere with wifi.

All the docs.openvehicles.com guides are for v3:
Here are the pre-requisites (as listed in the user guide pre-installation section):

Prior to installation, please make sure you have the following available:
  1. The OVMS v3 module in its enclosure.
  2. A micro-usb cable suitable for connecting to your computer.
  3. A laptop or desktop computer (if necessary).
  4. A cable suitable for connecting to your vehicle.
  5. A GSM antenna (if you are using the cellular option).
  6. A GPS antenna (if your vehicle type requires one).
You should also have ready access to this User Guide, and wifi connectivity to the Internet.​

It is possible to do it without the above, but the wifi setup process is by far the simplest.

Regards, Mark.

All the docs.openvehicles.com guides are for v3:
Here are the pre-requisites (as listed in the user guide pre-installation section):

Prior to installation, please make sure you have the following available:
  1. The OVMS v3 module in its enclosure.
  2. A micro-usb cable suitable for connecting to your computer.
  3. A laptop or desktop computer (if necessary).
  4. A cable suitable for connecting to your vehicle.
  5. A GSM antenna (if you are using the cellular option).
  6. A GPS antenna (if your vehicle type requires one).
You should also have ready access to this User Guide, and wifi connectivity to the Internet.​

It is possible to do it without the above, but the wifi setup process is by far the simplest.

Regards, Mark.

What GSM antenna do you recommend from Amazon? There’s a ton that pop up but I’m not sure which one to purchase. Thanks Mark. I know this is all volunteer/hobby work for you.