Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS v3.1 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What GSM antenna do you recommend from Amazon? There’s a ton that pop up but I’m not sure which one to purchase. Thanks Mark. I know this is all volunteer/hobby work for you.

I really haven't tried any from Amazon. Not sure of the quality. The connector we use is standard SMA, so any antenna that meets the frequency requirements should be ok.

No experience with it, so can't specifically recommend it, but I did see this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Antenna-T-Mobile-Cellular-Amplifier/dp/B00TI1WF64

that looks close to what we have from China (and has the same adhesive mounting system for our preferred Roadster rear window install. Frequency range is stated as 698-960 MHz, 1710-2170 MHz, 2300-2700 MHz. OVMS US SIM5360A modem is GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz; UMTS/HSPA+ 850/1900MHz, so that seems to match.

Of course, there are those US$100++ meter long fibreglass poles, but those might be overkill ;)

If anyone has problems, just let me know. For Roadster owners, I am willing to pre-configure these in Hong Kong, so it is mostly a matter of just physical install in the car (and following some other simple instructions for App and Hologram account setup). PM me (before you buy) if you need this.

• Helpful
Reactions: hcsharp and im4uttx
If anyone has problems, just let me know. For Roadster owners, I am willing to pre-configure these in Hong Kong, so it is mostly a matter of just physical install in the car (and following some other simple instructions for App and Hologram account setup). PM me (before you buy) if you need this.

Hi Markwj,

My order did not go through. So, if you could preconfigure one for me and let me know how you want me to order, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Henry Chin

This worked extremely well for me...thx Mark.

Attachments

• 20190907_132131.jpg
    20190907_132131.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20190907-133745.jpg
    Screenshot_20190907-133745.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: AtAge19
Anyone have experience troubleshooting the cellular connection? My Hologram SIM is showing connected when I connect to the OVMS module when at home, but as soon as I leave the house, it has zero connectivity. This has only occurred since I moved into a new house and changed WiFi networks.

Anyone have experience troubleshooting the cellular connection? My Hologram SIM is showing connected when I connect to the OVMS module when at home, but as soon as I leave the house, it has zero connectivity. This has only occurred since I moved into a new house and changed WiFi networks.

setup5.jpg

On this screen do you still have start server v2 checked, i had to go back and check that box as i never had cellular once I left the wifi connection.

email/message me the output of 'config list auto', and 'simcom status'. Maybe the modem not enabled.

I felt the same way. My big mistake was trying to do it using nothing but a cellphone and using its hotspot connection. That will not work to set it up. You need either a tethered connection to a laptop with internet if a good separate wifi. After that I followed the instructions and it went slowly but steadily. I lost connection with the unit a few times but a simple unplug and replug sorted it out. It really takes longer to route the GSM cable than install so if you are going to set it up on the kitchen table do it before you fix the cables permanently.
Those were my 2 big mistakes, no WiFi and installing before setting up.

• Informative
Reactions: markwj and drewski
Very excited, as well! In fact, I’ve blueprinted said improvements for the OVMS UI for iOS. May you please assist in implementing said improvements for the OVMS UI for iOS, Mark? Feel free to P.M.
I have contributed to the code in the OVMS module itself, but I've never done any iOS development. I'd like to try that some day, but too many tasks in the queue already...

doing the WiFi connection step.

i can see it's connected to my router and has "Testing Internet Connection" in a yellow box under the blue "What Happens Now" box.

it's been over 20 minutes. is the server down? or i've done something wrong.

i factory reset it and started fresh, but same thing

When you started this step, your computer WiFi was associated with the access point function of the OVMS. Like the blue box says, you may need to reconnect your computer to that access point if it did not happen automatically. Alternatively, you could change your computer to be associated with your home WiFi network, where OVMS should now also be associated as a client. Then you could access OVMS from your browser using http://xs-amps.local (if MDNS is working on your computer) or at the IP address that your home router assigned to OVMS (which you may be able to learn by accessing your router's admin pages).

• Helpful
Reactions: markwj