TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Owner 2 days, charge port failure

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Larry, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Larry

Larry Member

VIN 22456. I picked up the S yesterday. Charge port wont open, failure msg tonight. Called Roadside asst and they diagnosed it as most likely a connection/electrical issue as the door is not opening. Once we manually opened the door the latch at the bottom is not releasing. As disappointing as it is the service rep and engineer she was talking to were very knowledgeable and quite apologetic. I get it that **** happens but this is a bummer. They have arranged to pick up my S and drop off a loaner. Im very interested to see how all this gets handled. For those of you with VINS close to mine keep an eye out. Ill let you know how it goes.

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Sorry to hear that, and hope it is resolved quickly!

3. logan

logan Member

Dang that's a bummer! Hopefully this is an isolated incident and your Model S is repaired soon! :)

4. gbdesai

gbdesai Member

Sucks. I'm VIN 22700 with Oct 12 delivery. I'll be sure to test before I go home.

5. texex91

texex91 Banned

Had a quasi scare last night, charging for 3 time since receiving car last week, port three times went orange, on fourth time worked no problem. Will monitor. At least port door opened.

Also, in the past three days sometime (firmware is same as when I picked up car), it's really taking a long time for car to wake up. First two days instant wake up wake up. Weird.

6. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Make sure when you plug in the UMC, you are plugging it in Swiftly. A slow plug in will yield a error that the plug has a poor connection, and will blink yellow, limiting charging current to around 16 amps.

7. texex91

texex91 Banned

Great to note--will start to do that.

8. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

My 3 year old does the nightly plug in for me, "Geno, go plug in", and he goes out to the garage and plugs the car in. Non stop yellow lights and limited charge. Once I got him to plug it in quickly, no problems :)

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I've found just the opposite. You plug in so that you can hear two clicks, if you only hear one, then you'll likely get the 16 amp message. Plugging in a bit slowly seems to work better.

10. Larry

Larry Member

Tex
    Mine did exactly that the first night I charged then crapped out the next day.

11. texex91

texex91 Banned

Oh great :frown:

12. Amped_up

Amped_up Member

Had the same thing with mine too a few times. Another time, car would not leave sleep mode. Had to do a reset then power off/power on. Working the bugs out...

13. dtich

dtich #P708

i know some people have had actual part failure issues with this, but i think it's pretty rare -- what i think is happening in many cases is that the port door and the port plugs sometimes just need a little breaking in, they are 'stiff' from the factory.

opening and closing the door several times in a row, making sure the latch is catching, can sometimes break it in so it won't stick at all, i had this experience in the very beginning and very shortly everything was fine. same with the connectors, the best way (in my experience) to plug in is to firmly, completely push in - all the way - it's not fragile, you can be quite firm with it - till it clicks. it doesn't have to be quickly, but i would not do it 'slowly', decisively is how i would describe it :). i would suggest doing this several times in a row as well, to exercise the spring on the latch mechanism and to wear off any coatings or oxidation on the pins that may inhibit a strong current flow. my bet is this 'exercising' in the beginning will solve many 'issues'. fwiw. just like any new thing these parts sometimes have slight variations in manufacturing tolerances that need wearing down. it isn't really a flaw, just needs a good walk before running. hope this helps.

14. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Hang in there Larry. It's a great car, and a great company. They'll get it fixed quickly. You'll like the level of service. Enjoy "practicing" with the loaner. You're gonna LOVE the car.

15. HP832

HP832 Member

I have the exact same problems after I have the car for 2 months. I took it to the service center and they got it fixed in 2 days. got the P85 red loaner for those 2 days. the whole experience is awesome. I asked them about the problems and they said that it is rare but they have seen 2-3 cases where it failed like that. After they replaced the Charge Port, it has been working flawlessly for the last 4 weeks.

16. Larry

Larry Member

Tesla service came through big time today. I live about 40 miles from Fremont and by 10am they were at my house, dropped off a loaner, and took my S back to the service center in Fremont. The rep who picked up my S was friendly, courteous, and apologetic. A couple of hours later I received an email from service updating me and several hours after that they emailed to let me know they had diagnosed several items I was concerned about and they should have my S to me late tomorrow afternoon. A+ for the entire experience is all I can say. I know some people with high end cars and there is no way they get this level of service. Hopefully this will continue to be Tesla's signature-a premium automobile and exceptional service.

17. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Very glad to hear and hope you'll provide an update once you get your car back! Don't be afraid to ask them to spell out all the changes for the "several items" they addressed. ;)