Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner 2 days, charge port failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN 22456. I picked up the S yesterday. Charge port wont open, failure msg tonight. Called Roadside asst and they diagnosed it as most likely a connection/electrical issue as the door is not opening. Once we manually opened the door the latch at the bottom is not releasing. As disappointing as it is the service rep and engineer she was talking to were very knowledgeable and quite apologetic. I get it that **** happens but this is a bummer. They have arranged to pick up my S and drop off a loaner. Im very interested to see how all this gets handled. For those of you with VINS close to mine keep an eye out. Ill let you know how it goes.

Had a quasi scare last night, charging for 3 time since receiving car last week, port three times went orange, on fourth time worked no problem. Will monitor. At least port door opened.

Also, in the past three days sometime (firmware is same as when I picked up car), it's really taking a long time for car to wake up. First two days instant wake up wake up. Weird.

Had a quasi scare last night, charging for 3 time since receiving car last week, port three times went orange, on fourth time worked no problem. Will monitor. At least port door opened.

Also, in the past three days sometime (firmware is same as when I picked up car), it's really taking a long time for car to wake up. First two days instant wake up wake up. Weird.

Make sure when you plug in the UMC, you are plugging it in Swiftly. A slow plug in will yield a error that the plug has a poor connection, and will blink yellow, limiting charging current to around 16 amps.

Make sure when you plug in the UMC, you are plugging it in Swiftly. A slow plug in will yield a error that the plug has a poor connection, and will blink yellow, limiting charging current to around 16 amps.

I've found just the opposite. You plug in so that you can hear two clicks, if you only hear one, then you'll likely get the 16 amp message. Plugging in a bit slowly seems to work better.

Oh great :frown:

i know some people have had actual part failure issues with this, but i think it's pretty rare -- what i think is happening in many cases is that the port door and the port plugs sometimes just need a little breaking in, they are 'stiff' from the factory.

opening and closing the door several times in a row, making sure the latch is catching, can sometimes break it in so it won't stick at all, i had this experience in the very beginning and very shortly everything was fine. same with the connectors, the best way (in my experience) to plug in is to firmly, completely push in - all the way - it's not fragile, you can be quite firm with it - till it clicks. it doesn't have to be quickly, but i would not do it 'slowly', decisively is how i would describe it :). i would suggest doing this several times in a row as well, to exercise the spring on the latch mechanism and to wear off any coatings or oxidation on the pins that may inhibit a strong current flow. my bet is this 'exercising' in the beginning will solve many 'issues'. fwiw. just like any new thing these parts sometimes have slight variations in manufacturing tolerances that need wearing down. it isn't really a flaw, just needs a good walk before running. hope this helps.

VIN 22456. I picked up the S yesterday. Charge port wont open, failure msg tonight. Called Roadside asst and they diagnosed it as most likely a connection/electrical issue as the door is not opening. Once we manually opened the door the latch at the bottom is not releasing. As disappointing as it is the service rep and engineer she was talking to were very knowledgeable and quite apologetic. I get it that **** happens but this is a bummer. They have arranged to pick up my S and drop off a loaner. Im very interested to see how all this gets handled. For those of you with VINS close to mine keep an eye out. Ill let you know how it goes.

I have the exact same problems after I have the car for 2 months. I took it to the service center and they got it fixed in 2 days. got the P85 red loaner for those 2 days. the whole experience is awesome. I asked them about the problems and they said that it is rare but they have seen 2-3 cases where it failed like that. After they replaced the Charge Port, it has been working flawlessly for the last 4 weeks.

Tesla service came through big time today. I live about 40 miles from Fremont and by 10am they were at my house, dropped off a loaner, and took my S back to the service center in Fremont. The rep who picked up my S was friendly, courteous, and apologetic. A couple of hours later I received an email from service updating me and several hours after that they emailed to let me know they had diagnosed several items I was concerned about and they should have my S to me late tomorrow afternoon. A+ for the entire experience is all I can say. I know some people with high end cars and there is no way they get this level of service. Hopefully this will continue to be Tesla's signature-a premium automobile and exceptional service.

My 6 Jan 2013 doesn't have a manual.
I have 2 extra ports. The door is held shut by electro magnet. Juice it holds it shut. Drop 12v it pops open, its spring loaded open.
I was in Richmond in Nov 2018, they had no clue, I had to teach them. That's why I have 2 extra ports.
The click is the lock so no one can unplug your car without fob.
U have to push in fast, be careful not to break the tiny pin though.