Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still getting used to the car (I keep lifting off the accelerator too soon) but so far it's simply fantastic. I let my buddy take it for a spin tonight and he was giggling like a little kid. I'm going to have to be careful not punch it without warning people as I think I tweaked my office manager's neck today. For those of you who are still waiting for your Model S or haven't yet placed your order, this car is more than worth it. Best car I've ever driven by a large margin, seriously, nothing else even comes close. It's easy and effortless to drive in a relaxed, sedate manner but when you want to have some fun it turns into a silent, brutal, killer. It's an odd sense of power knowing that I can outrun basically anyone that I'm likely to run across at a stoplight.

I promise to post some picture once I have a chance to wash it and it's not raining outside. Sorry for the rambling to those of you who read this far.

Great write up. Is urs a Performance model? Look forward to pics!

I'm curious .. Got a question for those with the performance model. I have been thinking about this every now and then. Particularly because my wife is real sensitive in cars (car sickness), and now I'm wondering even more so from the above post where you "tweaked your manager's neck" by stepping on it. This won't affect my decision at all, as I'm totally getting the perf model, but with all this power, combined with the instantaneous response from the pedal, is it easy to consistently have a "graceful acceleration" at all or does the slightly touch to the pedal always have a higher amount of torque effect (jerkiness, always putting people back in their seats, etc?) obviously never test drive one so I have no idea what it's like driving. I had a Camaro once but you still needed to put the pedal to the floor to get that effect.

I'm curious .. Got a question for those with the performance model. I have been thinking about this every now and then. Particularly because my wife is real sensitive in cars (car sickness), and now I'm wondering even more so from the above post where you "tweaked your manager's neck" by stepping on it. This won't affect my decision at all, as I'm totally getting the perf model, but with all this power, combined with the instantaneous response from the pedal, is it easy to consistently have a "graceful acceleration" at all or does the slightly touch to the pedal always have a higher amount of torque effect (jerkiness, always putting people back in their seats, etc?) obviously never test drive one so I have no idea what it's like driving. I had a Camaro once but you still needed to put the pedal to the floor to get that effect.

It's very easy to accelerate smoothy in both performance and non-performance versions. Just hold back from mashing the accelerator:smile:

I'm curious .. Got a question for those with the performance model. I have been thinking about this every now and then. Particularly because my wife is real sensitive in cars (car sickness), and now I'm wondering even more so from the above post where you "tweaked your manager's neck" by stepping on it. ... is it easy to consistently have a "graceful acceleration" at all or does the slightly touch to the pedal always have a higher amount of torque effect (jerkiness, always putting people back in their seats, etc?) ....
As @dsm363 said, you are in control. I don't have a perf, but I don't think there's a material difference in this regard. Like your wife, my daughter is prone to car sickness; after driving (conservatively) with us the ~100 miles roundtrip to Providence, she volunteered that the Model S was easily the least upsetting car she's ever traveled in (in contrast to, say, our BMW 535xi SportsWagon, which is nearly as large and heavy).

As @dsm363 said, you are in control. I don't have a perf, but I don't think there's a material difference in this regard. Like your wife, my daughter is prone to car sickness; after driving (conservatively) with us the ~100 miles roundtrip to Providence, she volunteered that the Model S was easily the least upsetting car she's ever traveled in (in contrast to, say, our BMW 535xi SportsWagon, which is nearly as large and heavy).

That is good news as both my wife and my eldest son are prone to car sickness and I was worried about that issue thinking that because the Model S was a smoother ride it might end up having the opposite effect.

I have actually gotten a little car sick myself a few times in my Model S...It's the combination of aggressive acceleration, but even more so the regen braking. Once you master control of those things, you'll be fine.

@yobigd20,

As has been pointed out by others, it is very easy to smoothly accelerate; BUT,...

It's REAL EASY to get carried away! My "passengers" (aka, everyone that rides with me on a regular basis) have indicated that they are getting motion sickness when I think I'm driving conservatively. The car is very responsive and very good around corners such that you feel like all is well; but, your passengers (especially the ones in the back seat) are getting tossed about! Take care and get a test drive if you can so you can be your own judge!

Great write up. Is urs a Performance model? Look forward to pics!

Yes, it's the Performance although my spoiler is backordered.

- - - Updated - - -

What everyone else said. You could drive the Queen of England around in this thing and she'd never spill her tea... unless you wanted her to. :wink:

Refusing updates?

Also, as a point of interest, I asked if they could force update my car from 4.0 to 4.1, and Vince said that because 4.1 currently contains a number of known bugs that they're working on resolving, it's more likely that I won't get an update until the next revision level (presumably 4.2).

I often prefer to not accept updates on my computers for this very reason. I'm used to the old bugs and have developed effective workarounds for them, and don't want to swap them for a whole new set of bugs where things that worked fine before are suddenly broken.

Can you refuse the Model S updates?

I believe so.

Here is an excerpt from the update instructions:

Firmware updates.jpg

My interpretation is that if you do nothing, nothing will happen. If you click on the "SET FOR THIS TIME" button it will proceed at the scheduled time, or if you select the "INSTALL NOW" button it will immediately initiate the upgrade. However, if you select neither button, nothing should happen.

Larry

Attachments

• Firmware updates.jpg
    Firmware updates.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 2,281
I often prefer to not accept updates on my computers for this very reason. I'm used to the old bugs and have developed effective workarounds for them, and don't want to swap them for a whole new set of bugs where things that worked fine before are suddenly broken.

Internet Explorer 6 Countdown | Death to IE 6 | IE6 Countdown

- - - Updated - - -

My interpretation is that if you do nothing, nothing will happen.
I don't know if we have names for them yet, so I'll make up some terms:
- prompted updates
- automatic updates

v1.15.8 was a prompted update - User is prompted to find a time to do it, vehicle is inoperable for "up to 2 hours".
v1.15.14 was an automatic update - User is not prompted and the update happens automatically.

To my knowledge there is no way to block an automatic update.

We took a great little impromptu trip this evening to Florence, OR for dinner. Round trip is a little more than 120 miles on hwy 126 and there are more than a few hills involved. It's a fantastic little bit of road for the Model S. I've driven it many times but tonight was the most effortless one. Regen makes going up and down the hills like child's play and all the power makes passing a snap.

I really babied it on the way over because I was concerned about having enough range to make it back (I had basically a full standard charge when we left) but on the way back I let myself have a little fun. :)

It was dark but I did snap a quick pic of the now dirty car in front of Mo's.
photo1.JPG

I have actually gotten a little car sick myself a few times in my Model S...It's the combination of aggressive acceleration, but even more so the regen braking. Once you master control of those things, you'll be fine.

Ditto. I have made a couple passengers nearing motion sickness, especially on those oh-so-fun-and-smooth curves that the Model S handles and begs for more. So I carry a portable nausea bag that I got from a doctor's office once. :)

Ditto. I have made a couple passengers nearing motion sickness, especially on those oh-so-fun-and-smooth curves that the Model S handles and begs for more.
Conversely, when my wife drives the Model S in her oh-so-sedate style, it was a limousine-placid ride. My daughter, who is very prone to car-sickness, said it was the least upsetting 100 miles she's ever logged in a car.