Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not know when and where joer lived in Germany but that certainly isn't typical for German Autobahns. The vast majority of traffic moves at speeds that are similar or just slightly above the speeds on major American freeways (80-95mph maybe). One does get the occasional driver who passes you travelling well in excess of 120mph, but that is really just a few cars every hour. We may not have a speed limit but we have gas prices of more than 8 or 9$ per gallon ... :frown:

Also, one thing that is rarely mentioned: if you crash into another car while traveling excessively faster than the federally recommended speed (~81mph) you will automatically be apportioned 50% of the blame, even if the other driver was clearly at fault, blind, drunk and has never had a driver's licence.
It can get expensive ...
I originally didn't quite buy joer00's stated "160 mi/hr" as a "standard speed". My original reaction was that I suspected he meant 160 km/hr, which is more in line with the "recommended speed" you mention -- and also well within the capabilities of Model S.

Last edited:
a good and exhaustive review. but this part makes my blood pressure rise:

seriously?!? a "killjoy" during car demos? I've seen this complaint before elsewhere, and I can't comprehend how this is such a problem, unless you are 90 years old and battling osteoporosis. be a man! close the friggin door a little harder. it's not the end of the world...

It's fine for ME-- that's not the problem. When I'm showing the car to someone else and they have to close the front passenger door twice or three times to get it closed correctly, it stands out in a bad way. I'm sure they'll fix this issue in future builds (for all I know, they've already fixed it). I heard about the drain plug solution-- have to try that.

It's here, and beautiful. Arrived with 89 miles of range, but by the time my wife looked, it said 88. McFly, as in Marty. So before blasting around The Land of Enchantment, it's taking in 40A@240V, though with the clouds, it's from the grid, not the PV array right now.

And of course, it's a she. She told me so by having Slacker play American Woman by The Guess Who after the I punched up Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf. Then some Kashmir from my iPhone. Nice.

No spoiler, nor parcel shelf. Cloth headliner (which I don't mind). Some small detail issues after I pulled off the "scrubs" she was wrapped in when the driver, Don, took her off the truck. Minor brown smudging on grey door panels & armrests - really minor. The adhesive from the scrubs down the sides & across the top of the windshield came off with a bit of water & elbow grease.

Her "sequence number" was 666, displayed on a piece of paper on the back seat, and blue painter's tape on the rear air vents. The devil's EV! :wink:

To those of you in Florida. The truck had four more Model S on it, all headed for you. Three for Tampa, one for Boca Raton. All were wearing scrubs, so I couldn't tell paint colors. And in the truck, I had no chance to spy any VINs. But I saw all three varieties of wheels.

Pics when the sun comes back out.

Now I need to go for a drive.

It's here, and beautiful. Arrived with 89 miles of range, but by the time my wife looked, it said 88. McFly, as in Marty. So before blasting around The Land of Enchantment, it's taking in 40A@240V, though with the clouds, it's from the grid, not the PV array right now.

And of course, it's a she. She told me so by having Slacker play American Woman by The Guess Who after the I punched up Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf. Then some Kashmir from my iPhone. Nice.

No spoiler, nor parcel shelf. Cloth headliner (which I don't mind). Some small detail issues after I pulled off the "scrubs" she was wrapped in when the driver, Don, took her off the truck. Minor brown smudging on grey door panels & armrests - really minor. The adhesive from the scrubs down the sides & across the top of the windshield came off with a bit of water & elbow grease.

Her "sequence number" was 666, displayed on a piece of paper on the back seat, and blue painter's tape on the rear air vents. The devil's EV! :wink:

To those of you in Florida. The truck had four more Model S on it, all headed for you. Three for Tampa, one for Boca Raton. All were wearing scrubs, so I couldn't tell paint colors. And in the truck, I had no chance to spy any VINs. But I saw all three varieties of wheels.

Pics when the sun comes back out.

Now I need to go for a drive.

Congratulations! I hope to catch you zipping along Hwy 25 at some point. I just hope I don't get into an accident because of the distraction you will cause me.

Yep. We visit friends & family in the The City Different periodically. La Bajada Hill is going to be fun: pass everyone else on the way up, regen on the way back down!

There is a Sig holder, WJM, here in town. If you need to do a quick charge there is a charging station on Cerrillos next to Whole Foods provided by Positive Energy. Not exactly Supercharging but there are plenty of fantastic restaurants within walking distance of the station.

I look forward to seeing your silver beauty passing me.

Nice picture. I love the New Mexico lawn your house showcases. It looks almost the same as mine. Though I have a quite a few more weeds and cacti on my property. :)

Congratulations!

Nice looking ride rlpm...

Hopefully, you are going up/down La Bajada via I-25 and not the old Route 66
2La_Bajada_Hill.jpg
:D

I'm a fan of Route 66 -- not as obsessive as some people, but my wife & I (girlfriend during the drive; fiance at the end) drove it from Chicago to Santa Monica 6 years ago (doing the Santa Rosa/Santa Fe/ABQ/Los Lunas/Correo loop instead of going straight through via I-40. My FIL lives in White Rock (works at Los Alamos)

The hill is basically impassible until you have got a 4x4 and are an expert in driving it. In addition, I believe that its on Reservation land and you need permission. During our trip, we drove to the base of the Hill (off of Exit 264)

My dream would be to take delivery in Fremont and then drive back East via 66 (at least until Oklahoma City). I don't think that will happen... but you never know.

Last edited:
My impressions of Tesla. Going from the finest combustion engine powered cars to a Tesla has been a smooth transition. Technology from the days of Henry Ford and now driving an electric car has been nothing but phenomenal. I can't imagine ever owning a petrol run vehicle ever again. Thanks to all the Tesla folks who have put together such an incredible car. I love my model S. My only complaint is my gate access (not a Tesla part) for some reason I cant get it to work through my Tesla glass.

The car drives and handles like a dream. Its roomy. I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs. and actually have tons of space. The car is comfortable and the controls are well laid out. You could not ask for a better car. My wife wants the model X. So we will place an order for her shortly to reserve.

If I could request one feature it would be "Blind spot assist". My mercedes has this feature and once you have it, its hard to get used to not having it.

I would encourage anyone who has not yet gotten into a Tesla to see it first hand and by all means test drive it. I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here as this is a Tesla Forum. But Thanks Tesla for making an excellent product.

I chuckle every time I drive home and bypass the gas stations. Even more fun for me is to plug in and realize that my Solar City solar system on my roof is powering my car. I love being off the grid and love being part of the wave that will change the auto industry for good.

Got mine today. Nice blue 85 with pano roof, tan interior, tech package and the air suspension.

- The rush to make the 1st quarter numbers showed. I had my delivery changed from the Rockville Service Center to home. That let them count the sale in March.
- 3 of the 6 cars on the semi delivering mine were dead. Tesla sent a tech down from Rockville to jump the cars. They had 0 miles, but there was a public charging station at the strip mall we were using for the "home" delivery and we got a partial charge from that.
- Waiting on a 14-30 adapter (which I think is backordered), so I've got 8 miles of range and I'm charging on 110v.
- Love the car. It got a lot of attention at tonight's PTA meeting.

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg
IMG_4172.jpg
IMG_4173.JPG

Congrats...hope you can get a full charge soon and enjoy the car.

The local sales manager stopped by my house today to recalibrate my TPS since I removed my snow tires last week
(the advantage of living near the local store). He came in a Roadster which he let me drive. The Model S is about 100X
nicer but the Roadster is definitely an eye catcher.

View attachment 19805 I just joined. I am a VERY excited Tesla owner! I was #6,360 for Model S, I tried to hurry for the Model X - got #448. I'm starting to see several around Dallas with cool License Plates. This was the best one I could think of

jaysquyres, I love seeing pictures of the white Model S's! Your tint looks great. Can you provide details on what kind it is and where you got it done? I'm in Fort Worth and will be getting mine in June.

Thanks!