Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ownership Experience for somebody who's never driven one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!

I currently own a 2015 335I M-Sport that I love to death. I am considering a model 3 as my next car. I have never driven one let alone been in one. I am looking to hear from Model 3 owners on things they like or did not like about the car. If anybody is local to the Arlington Va area, i'd love to hear from you too!

Reactions: Leafdriver333
My suggestion is that you take a test drive. That should really be enough to convince you. I have had an S for over six years now, and wouldn't ever go back to one of those 100 year old technology cars.

My suggestion is that you take a test drive. That should really be enough to convince you. I have had an S for over six years now, and wouldn't ever go back to one of those 100 year old technology cars.

When I think of tesla fan-boy this is exactly what I think of. Guessing you have a cliche license plate alluding to the fact that you drive an EV? People like you taint the brand.

When I think of tesla fan-boy this is exactly what I think of. Guessing you have a cliche license plate alluding to the fact that you drive an EV? People like you taint the brand.

Wow, that’s got to be a new record. You’ve only been a member on this forum for 30 minutes and you’ve already insulted your first fellow member. What is your real purpose for this post?

I strongly suggest renting one for a couple of days of whatever your primary use pattern. Best ~$150 I spent.
A test drive is just too fleeting, IMHO.

Reactions: Alfred
Hi All!

I currently own a 2015 335I M-Sport that I love to death. I am considering a model 3 as my next car. I have never driven one let alone been in one. I am looking to hear from Model 3 owners on things they like or did not like about the car. If anybody is local to the Arlington Va area, i'd love to hear from you too!

I have an LR RWD version that has for me proven to be a real pleasure to drive. There are so many things I like about the car, but mostly... it just works really well. Before I got mine last year, I was really skeptical with a slight lean towards being worried about the decision I made before the car arrived. After going from east coast to west coast and back again last summer, all the worry about whether or not this car can work for me disappeared. For one reason or another, a lot of people hate Elon for who he is, but I would be willing to bet anyone that has taken a Model 3 for a real good test drive will absolutely love him for what he has done.

If you like toolin around in fast cars, you might want to consider looking at the performance version as a comparison to your current ride. I like fast cars, but can't give you my opinion on Tesla's version of a fast car in the Model 3 range. My RWD version is a lot of fun though.

Things I don't like... the FSD moniker. I think and use this as a driver assist only, and think FSD is sending the wrong signal to people, at least in its present form today. I have seen FSD do a lot of weird sit on the road, and think we are still a ways off from full self-driving. That being said, there are supposed to be some pretty major updates coming just around the corner, so we will see.

Reactions: jyalpert
Woah.......... slow down there buddy. @jerry33 was only suggesting you take a test drive. Way to rocket to the top of the a$$hat list! No wonder people view BMW owners as a$$holes.

Hi All!

The Model 3 is the best car ever! The ownership experience is amazing. Previous cars are a 2017 BMW M2 and 2017 Audi TTS. Of course the engine note and exhaust note no longer exists, which was nice from high performance ICE vehicles, but the Tesla Model 3 brings new and exciting noises. From the noise it makes when placing it in to drive, park, and the slight hmmm or whatever noise you want to call it from acceleration is just as exciting. The noises are new and refreshing, while being extremely fun! The simplicity of the interior is actually quite amazing. I truly thought it would be hard to move from an ICE vehicle, but it is the best thing you can do. I don't ever intend to ever buy another BMW, even when they do come out with electric. Make the switch now and get the higher tax credit. You can't regret it!

The Model 3 is a pretty good car. It's more or less a good entry-luxury car except with an electric motor.

Interior is nice. Not too much road noise. Comfortable seats with the premium package. Suspension is excellent - well damped with good bump and transient characteristics - it settles immediately and you can feel the low CM. Acceleration is good, especially at low RPM - the experience is like being in the correct gear in the power band all the time. Steering ratio is excellent, though feel is somewhat numb. The brakes are truly horrible (poor feel and nonlinear), but apparently this is solved with a $200 brake pad swap (which I'll be performing this weekend). I am less bothered by having to look at the touch screen while driving than I thought I would be. However, they put too much stuff on the touch screen, namely wipers (the Auto wipers setting doesn't work very well), which are legitimately distracting to toggle on and off. The close-quarters radar is a really great for parking. The backup camera is the best I've ever used. I wish it had blind spot monitoring. They screwed up the springs on the trunk closure mechanism and you have to slam it to close it. I am really glad it doesn't have any of the gimmicky crap they put on the S or X like the pop out door handles or gullwing doors.

Autopilot is pretty disappointing and we will not be paying extra for that option.

Ordering experience was amazing (because I didn't have to spend 5 hours on a Saturday arguing with a salesman at a dealer). Delivery experience was poor. I am dreading ever having to utilize the service department. Our sales guy was supposed to deliver our L2 charging station and the Tesla kid's ride-on toy 2 months ago, and every week when we ping him it's either radio silence or a promise of action that doesn't happen.

I tried to figure out a way to take it to a track near me and see what it can do, but it's just not going to work. I'd lose half my track time shuffling back and forth to the Supercharger.

IMO the Model 3 SR is the best bang-for-the-buck EV that has a reasonable range. We used to have a Ford Focus EV, but it only had ~65 mile range, and we had constant range anxiety (forget to charge one night and you're well aware you may not make it home the next day). The Bolt cost the same but will likely have worse residual value in 3 years when I sell it.

Reactions: all4isu
If you're coming from a luxury vehicle now or are comparing to similar cars at the top end of the Model 3's price point, it's important to note that you will have different expectations than some. In particular, those who are coming from much older and cheaper cars.

First impressions from when you sit inside the vehicle? You'll notice good quality material feel. It's a simple interior that's dominated by the fancy touch screen which controls just about everything. And even finds a unique way of controlling mundane features, such as the HVAC system and glove box. It's high tech, intuitive, it's beautiful. Then you'll notice it's probably missing features from said luxury vehicles. There's no HUD, no cooled seats, no android auto/car play, the LED lights don't move, the suspension is not adjustable, you'll have to manually open and close your trunks, etc.

Now that you've played with everything, it's time for the drive. How does that compare? There is no engine sound. Some folks act as though it's the worse thing in the world to hear a combustion engine. If you like the sound of a smooth engine and exhaust note, it's gone. But you will immediately notice higher than average road noise. Until you roll onto the highway, where you could swear there is a window open. Windows are closed; there's just considerable wind noise in the Model 3. It's about on par with our 5-year-old mini-van.

You might blame it on the lack of engine noise. Sorry, it's simply noisy for a premium or luxury sedan. But now it's time to floor it. And you'd be forgiven for dismissing those negatives due to an instant and flat torque curve. This is more prevalent in the dual motor and performance variants. Feel free to repeat this as many times as you want. From a dead stop, passing, have fun with it.

Now you have to decide if the unique nature of the Tesla's tablet interface, instantly gratifying torque response, and EV goodness is enough to give up a sporty gas powered luxury sedan.

If you're still interested, drive one. If you aren't sold, try a faster one. Still not sold, probably best to wait.

Troll much? Somebody expresses their positive opinion of their vehicle and you’re all over them for it. Go back to your favorite ICE forum and spare us your drivel.

Hi All!

Imagine having a car that has the best mileage ever, but it’s fast and fun to drive. That’s what the model 3 makes me think. I had a bmw 128i m-sport before this car, and it’s just as pleasurable to drive than the bmw. While I miss the Manual on the bmw, the stereo is a joy to experience and the quietness of the cabin makes you appreciate the sound system. Seating and riding quality remind me of the m-sport. You feel the road on the model 3 like you do on the bmw. The steering is just as chunky as an msport steering wheel.

I have owned several BMW's and we currently own a 2018 X3.
Before sitting in a Model 3 at the store, I thought it would feel cheap for the price tag, $40K +.
However, my perspective changed afterwards.
It felt and looked 'good'.
Go for a test drive and a lot of uncertainty will be answered.
This is not my first EV so one pedal driving and regen braking were not new to me.
Smooth, quiet, and torquey acceleration is nice.
However, the software is a work in progress.
A large percentage of owners experience common glitches like touch screen self-rebooting and back up camera not coming on for several seconds. Also the rain sensing wipers don't sense rain very well.
It is different.
If you have a little bit of open mindedness of an early adopter, it makes the ownership experience a lot better.

Hi All!

I would schedule a test drive from Tyco Service Center in Tyson's. These days they also have inventory so should you decide to buy, it might be easier/faster that what it was a year ago. For anybody on the fence, scheduling a test drive and experiencing it yourself should be the way to go.

I got my LR M3 last June and have like 9K miles on it - I have loved every mile of driving in this car. I came from BMW 328i, which had a world war 2, cockpit feel to it (which I also liked). M3 is silent and yet more powerful and fun to drive. No issues so far, no oil changes etc. etc.

I also love that I no longer have to pump & pay for premium gas. I installed the wall connector and charging happens overnight. I have setup notification to tell me when charging starts, halts and stops. Always charges within 4 hours. While in BMW I always was conscious of my gas $$ and was hesitant to drive it for city stop and go activities like doing groceries on weekend, taking kids to park etc. Now I do all these activities in my M3 without worries and also have a better experience when driving on the highway with instant torque.

Free software updates, Auto pilot (just the other day I tried lane change), - still using it cautiously - but I like driving it rather that putting it on auto-pilot.

These days on my commute I see at least 10 M3 on average, in NOVA/MD 495 commute.

Honestly, I can't think of anything I don't like about this car.

.. cheers!!