Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OWNING A MODEL X: Mark Templeton's impressions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mark Templeton is well known for his accomplishments in the software sector: he was the CEO of Citrix Systems from 2001 to 2015! But he is also a longtime Tesla fan … at such point that he received the 3rd Model X delivered. After more than 2 months of ownership, he shares his experience with the best SUV ever built!

I've got his written permission to publish his pictures, videos and text.

Here's the complete text, video and pictures access:

P.S.: I can't wait to get mine now !!!

From another thread yesterday.

Mark Templeton posted many pictures and videos here https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0T5nhQSTmmhhC
He was the one receiving the blue X at the Founders delivery event.

Mark Templeton -- https://www.facebook.com/mark.templeton.397
I've now had the X since Sept 29 and have enjoyed every thrilling moment. I thought I'd share photos and videos of some of the experiences I've had since Elon handed the key to my daughter and me at the Model X Launch Event.
The album is posted here:

iCloud Photo Sharing

The first question I get is "how did you get VIN3?" Truth is, I've always been "the first kid on my block..." and Tesla is no different. I've been blessed to get Roadster VIN 16 and Model S VIN 20 as well, getting an early, first-hand experience with the Tesla vision for all-electric transportation. I have to say that the cars have been consistently reliable and flawless - quite an accomplishment for early serial numbers of ANY new product!

The delivery of the X was a truly wonderful experience. Backstage, we got our new owner orientation and some time to drool over this amazing vehicle. The Tesla team was awesome - making every moment a joy before the event kicked off. We met engineers, service techs, execs and events team who answered lots of "inside baseball" questions. To my wonderful surprise, my friend of 30+ years, Mark Tebbe, was there to receive VIN5! That was one of the best moments of the evening, since we hadn't seen each other in 15 years.

Tesla gave me dealer plates so I could drive the car in California before shipping it to my home in Florida - about a week before Thanksgiving. The Tesla West Palm Beach team did a great job with the delivery. We loaded up and did a road trip to Raleigh from South Florida. The supercharger experience was great! Every Tesla owner you meet there has a fabulous set of stories to share - and great travel tips. The superchargers are well-located and I got 350 mph charging at a couple of them. I dropped in on the Tesla Raleigh team so they could touch the excitement. I also visited my alma mater - NC State College of Design - and let students check it out. Our hotel - The Umstead - is a member of the Tesla Destinations program. Universally, this car has a magnetic personality.

I have to admit that I like it better than my Model S. In the fossil fuel world, I like the Porsche zCayenne over the Panamera for the same reason - it's a sports car, a sedan, and an SUV. The multi-purpose aspect of the X is stunning. The storage space is amazing. In fact, the deep trunk allows two of the 34" rolling luggage pieces to stand side-by-side! Add the folding third row, it far exceeds SUVs of similar size. The underseat space is great - more comfortable for passengers and added space for storage. The seats are by far the best of any vehicle I've owned - design, comfort and function. And, I love how the middle row sets tilt and slide.

From a quality perspective, you'd think VIN 3 would have issues. It was likely "hand built" on the production line, and it's been almost flawless. Sometimes, the Falcon Wings pause when opening - taking a failsafe approach to avoid striking anything. I like the false-positive approach - especially as the sonar in the doors gets more sophisticated over time. As Elon said, it's FAST! Ludicrous mode makes acceleration from 30 mph just like at 0 mph! Smooth, continuous, multi-G acceleration - pure joy at the tip of your foot! wink emoticon

I've recently been through the factory and there are X's being assembled in various stages throughout. I know so many are waiting with great anticipation and some impatience. I don't blame you but feel sure you'll find it worth the wait. I remember my roadster being postponed several times, waiting 3-4 years for it. The priority being placed around quality of the product and ownership experience is second to none. That takes time and tremendous attention to detail. Tesla is amazing at that.

The deliveries are picking up some momentum from what I understand.
So, keep the faith!
Kind regards,
Mark

Mark Templeton is well known for his accomplishments in the software sector: he was the CEO of Citrix Systems from 2001 to 2015! But he is also a longtime Tesla fan … at such point that he received the 3rd Model X delivered. After more than 2 months of ownership, he shares his experience with the best SUV ever built!

Looking at the picture of the S and the X together, I just can't see much difference. I love them both, but I'm not sure what makes the X an SUV. It still looks like a sedan to me - albeit, a big one.

Looking at the picture of the S and the X together, I just can't see much difference. I love them both, but I'm not sure what makes the X an SUV. It still looks like a sedan to me - albeit, a big one.

I believe that's the argument Subaru has been claiming for years.

For many it is a simple as higher seating position, three rows of seating, AWD and not a station wagon.

And I'd add the following to what 30seconds said: "... and not a minivan."

With that said, I think the older designation of "SUV" is probably not as accurate as the newer "CUV" (crossover). It's getting harder and harder to classify cars (just like in the music industry: is it rock? pop? alternative? grunge? Aren't all of those some variation of Rock 'n' Roll?).

When I preordered mine, AWD was not available on the Model S and my family was expanding. So I saw the X as having higher people moving capacity and also AWD. I was never looking to tow anything or haul anything. So this is basically a luxurious, eye-catching, performance-oriented minivan that lets me be the soccer dad I always aspired to be. I always joked that I'd buy a minivan if Ferrari made one. But it seems like Tesla beat them to the punch with something much cooler that speaks to my technophile and increasingly environmentally aware heart.

I believe that's the argument Subaru has been claiming for years.

For many it is a simple as higher seating position, three rows of seating, AWD and not a station wagon.

The X is being marketed as a crossover (CUV) - falls somewhere between an SUV and sedan (..and minivan - can't believe I just said that out loud). This is why it's so appealing to someone like me. It has all of the characteristics of a sports sedan, but with more headroom, more comfortable seating for more adults, and greater hauling capacity!

With a few rare exceptions, these days an SUV is just a minivan for people who are too embarrassed to buy a "minivan."

I would agree on the whole to this, except for the fact that there are so few AWD minivans on the market these days (I think the Sienna is the only one offering that option). Back in the mid-2000s GM did offer their minivans with AWD, but they were of such poor quality, it's not surprising that a lot of owners went the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban route if they needed AWD. I don't believe Ford or Chrysler ever offered an AWD minivan (although, the new T&C supposedly will have this option).

Therefore, it's hard to say that everyone who buys an SUV is just too embarrassed to buy a minivan when a lot of people require AWD and there just aren't that many options of an AWD minivan out in the market. Maybe that's because companies did research and came to the conclusion it wasn't worthwhile because so many people are embarrassed to buy a 'minivan', but at this stage, those who require AWD are pretty much forced into an SUV/CUV.

Thanks for posting this. First substantive comments and photos by a real owner that I have seen. The car looks even better than I expected! I had not expected to be interested in one, but now...maybe when the Model S lease runs out!

I would agree on the whole to this, except for the fact that there are so few AWD minivans on the market these days (I think the Sienna is the only one offering that option). Back in the mid-2000s GM did offer their minivans with AWD, but they were of such poor quality, it's not surprising that a lot of owners went the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban route if they needed AWD. I don't believe Ford or Chrysler ever offered an AWD minivan (although, the new T&C supposedly will have this option).

Therefore, it's hard to say that everyone who buys an SUV is just too embarrassed to buy a minivan when a lot of people require AWD and there just aren't that many options of an AWD minivan out in the market. Maybe that's because companies did research and came to the conclusion it wasn't worthwhile because so many people are embarrassed to buy a 'minivan', but at this stage, those who require AWD are pretty much forced into an SUV/CUV.

Before I bought my Highlander Hybrid in 2008 we had a Chrysler Town and Country and before that a Plymouth Grand Caravan both of which had AWD. Chrysler stopped making the AWD option at some point which was why I went with the Highlander. Not sure if AWD was an option in the Toyota Sienna then but I also wanted the hybrid then so maybe I just never looked at it. Been very happy with the HH, but am looking forward to the Model X as I want a complete EV, not the overly complex half measure of the hybrid. I wonder if Tesla might consider a Mini-van version at some point. Both my HH and the mini-vans seated 7, but my X is configured for just 6. I never really needed the 7th seat anyway. The one thing I miss is the cavernous storage of the mini-van, but it gives up aerodynamics.

Maybe that's because companies did research and came to the conclusion it wasn't worthwhile because so many people are embarrassed to buy a 'minivan', but at this stage, those who require AWD are pretty much forced into an SUV/CUV.

That's a good point, but do many people truly require AWD? I know a lot of people want it, but given that AWD is we know it today is a fairly recent invention and people mostly got by fine in the many decades before, it doesn't seem like it would actually be a hard requirement.

That's a good point, but do many people truly require AWD? I know a lot of people want it, but given that AWD is we know it today is a fairly recent invention and people mostly got by fine in the many decades before, it doesn't seem like it would actually be a hard requirement.

Are cars even a hard requirement? People got along fine with horses for thousands of years...and by just using their feet for millions of years.

Different people have different requirements. One of mine is AWD.

What colour are you going to get? I really LOVE that blue myself.