Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P+ Dead in Garage

Bob R

Jun 3, 2013
Saratoga, CA
Well, I had fun with P+ for almost 48 hours. Went to the garage looking forward to the drive to the office and I was greeted with a message that said “Car needs service. Pull over to the side of the road, car may not restart…12v battery low” I had 130 miles of range last night this morning 0.

Not very happy at the moment, so I drove the R8 at to the office.

kevincwelch

May 13, 2012
Chicagoland
Sorry to hear about it -- having it dead after 48 hours of ownership must have been frustrating and embarrassing. It baffles me that this issue still exists...

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
Well, I had fun with P+ for almost 48 hours. Went to the garage looking forward to the drive to the office and I was greeted with a message that said “Car needs service. Pull over to the side of the road, car may not restart…12v battery low” I had 130 miles of range last night this morning 0.

at least you have an equally-awesome backup car :)

Citizen-T

Aug 25, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Elon commented that they started sourcing their 12V batteries from a different supplier because of the insane failure rate. Hopefully they get rake the new supplier over the coals for this.

Nichen

Dec 18, 2008
Sweden
Lol it's pretty amazing when you think about it....how hard is it to make functioning 12V batteries? I'm not directing Tesla here, but their former 12V supplier.

steve841

Jan 17, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Sadly.... they make Li Ion batteries as direct drop in replacements rather than lead acid ... only problem is the 3-4x's cost.... Probably would fare better in the long run.

gaswalla

Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery
Sep 23, 2012
San Diego
what's wild is that soon you'll be able to swap out the 85kwh battery in 60 seconds, but the 12volt battery will still take service 90 minutes to switch out.

patp

Aug 2, 2010
Canada

Probably the 12V battery or dc-to-dc module. Mine got a new message now since last week. "Car needs service - Power reduced". It seems it's related to the drivetrain this time. Car moves, but very very slowly. If I shutdown down the car, the message disappear. Fourth time my Model S broke on me. Curious thing is I own a Tesla Roadster and got only one issue in 3 years.

nrcooled

P#8946 VIN 03225
May 22, 2012
NoVA
I took my S85 in for a windshield replacement and they changed out my DC-DC module while it was there. I'm sure Tesla will have you back up and running in no time.

Sadly.... they make Li Ion batteries as direct drop in replacements rather than lead acid ... only problem is the 3-4x's cost.... Probably would fare better in the long run.

Has anyone done this replacement? I looked into it when I got the car then gave up. Is there a drop in equivalent that will fit the Model S with a Li Ion 12 v? I would totally be in on that even for 3-4x the price if it made my car more reliable.

Hey Tesla Motors: Add it to the Tesla Store!!!!

Cheers.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC