Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D, 760HP and Performance Tests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The weight savings and efficiency gains are real.

Having said that, the examples I quoted both had press releases saying they went straight cut for the sound, for enthusiasts.

I haven't seen Rimac saying that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it factored into their thinking.

The sound certainly seems to have factored in elsewhere(I.e.- Saleen), as was mentioned earlier.

That having been said, the Rimac Gearbox PDF linked above (thanks J1mbo), lists either helical or straight(spur) gears as an option for their gearbox, key lists only one weight and set of dimensions. The implication being that they've already engineered the casing to handle the loads of the helical gear set, and there would have been no real penalty for using them in their application...

The sound certainly seems to have factored in elsewhere(I.e.- Saleen), as was mentioned earlier.

That having been said, the Rimac Gearbox PDF linked above (thanks J1mbo), lists either helical or straight(spur) gears as an option for their gearbox, key lists only one weight and set of dimensions. The implication being that they've already engineered the casing to handle the loads of the helical gear set, and there would have been no real penalty for using them in their application...
Possibly true. Although they list helical cut as an option, I have not seen one with them. From what I have seen they have publicly made and driven 3 cars, a red blue and silver one, all had straight cut I believe. But the gearbox could be far less weight if they were designed for straight cut. I like the idea that it would be an option as i like giving people options. I would go with the straight cut for potential weight saving and I actually like the sound. Kinda sounds like a monorail or plane taking off. But I know some people don't and that is why I like it as an option.

Possibly true. Although they list helical cut as an option, I have not seen one with them. From what I have seen they have publicly made and driven 3 cars, a red blue and silver one, all had straight cut I believe. But the gearbox could be far less weight if they were designed for straight cut. I like the idea that it would be an option as i like giving people options. I would go with the straight cut for potential weight saving and I actually like the sound. Kinda sounds like a monorail or plane taking off. But I know some people don't and that is why I like it as an option.

I think it would depend on how I planned to use the car.

If it was a weekend track toy I'd probably take the straight gears to enjoy the growl.

If I was using it as a daily driver or driving long distances with it, the great whine would annoy me pretty quickly so I'd prefer helical.

(Assuming I could afford one in the first place...)

9tro_022316_124508_Concept_one_motor_02.jpg

This seems to indicate their preference.

Reactions: ggnykk
P100DL 1/8 mile performance (fastest shown first):
6.805 second at 102.854 mph. 60 foot: 1.543 second (World record for any Tesla. For comparison, Dragtimes' Vbox number on a different P100DL ran 6.8s at 101.9 mph)
6.816 second at 101.903 mph (with launch control). 60 foot: 1.550 second
6.837 second at 103.217. 60 foot: 1.575 second
6.965 second at 100.74 mph (without launch control). 60 foot: 1.611 second

======================================================
P90DL v3 1/8 mile performance (fastest shown first):
6.963 second at 99.450 mph. 60 foot: 1.580 second
7.048 second at 99.336 mph. 60 foot: 1.647 second
7.083 second at 98.532 mph (without launch control). 60 foot: 1.630 second
7.115 second at 98.423 mph (without launch control). 60 foot: 1.642 second

For comparison:
P90DL v3 1/8 mile performance from the record 10.804 sec 1/4 mile run a month ago.
6.842 second at ?? mph. 60 foot: 1.576 second.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mdevp
In conclusion, as the data have shown, the P100DL is definitely faster than P90DL v3 in ANY speed, including launch phase, 60 foot, 330 foot, 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile time and trap speed. In other words, the 10.78 second 1/4 mile time for P100DL will come down for sure.

Thanks for making the video :) But I think the data from Tesla Racing Channel have definitively proved that using launch control in P100DL is faster for sure. You can also see from your P100DL time slip that the 60 foot time of 1.609 sec, and 1/8 mile time of 6.869 sec is not where it should be. Because launch control wasn't used in your race. TRC's P100DL is even faster than these time.

Last edited:
"because launch control was not used in your race"
I appreciate your enthusiasm but, assuming launch control has not changed since announced with the P85Ds, I have run after run after run of CAN bus data that showed absolutely no difference in launch versus fast foot. There was more difference run to run to run as a result of battery discharge and system heating.

You may be right in your assertions but I do not think runs in Texas versus runs in Florida with two different cars can be used as a basis for those assertions.

From another thread-
"Launch control helps. It wasn't run on this run. P100D was below 1.6 60' in later runs with launch control on."
It would be interesting to collect some data and see why LC now makes a difference where it did not in the past.

Last edited:
we launched it as well.... best run of the night was:

10.806 @ 122.31 MPH
6.835 @ 100.43 MPH
60: 1.584

pretty sure that was using launch mode (i'll find out for sure) and just a 3/100 off the 1/8 ET that TRC run that was posted....

For some reason, the car wasn't coming off as hard as we previously tested, best 0-60 MPH was 2.64, not the 2.54 we got before.

anyway, we'll figure it out, my P100D comes in this week and we'll be at the track on Friday....

Thanks for making the video :) But I think the data from Tesla Racing Channel have definitively proved that using launch control in P100DL is faster for sure. You can also see from your P100DL time slip that the 60 foot time of 1.609 sec, and 1/8 mile time of 6.869 sec is not where it should be. Because launch control wasn't used in your race. TRC's P100DL is even faster than these time.

we launched it as well.... best run of the night was:

10.806 @ 122.31 MPH
6.835 @ 100.43 MPH
60: 1.584

pretty sure that was using launch mode (i'll find out for sure) and just a 3/100 off the 1/8 ET that TRC run that was posted....

For some reason, the car wasn't coming off as hard as we previously tested, best 0-60 MPH was 2.64, not the 2.54 we got before.

anyway, we'll figure it out, my P100D comes in this week and we'll be at the track on Friday....
Does Palm Beach have a slight rise? Or was there a headwind?

Last edited:
In the video at around the 3:45 mark just after he takes off I see a triangle with an exclamation point appear on the left side at the top end of the Wh/mi meter. What does this mean? I noticed this in my car after a hard launch. It is not the normal dotted line im used to seeing when power is limited.