Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D, 760HP and Performance Tests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the car is smart enough to know what wheels you put on it.
No but it knows the diametrical relationship between the front and rear wheels, and since they have a different ratio you can exploit this. It also knows road speed vs GPS speed and calculates the speed shown in-dash (and i'd guess the torque curves) accordingly.
Who knows how it would handle different sized tires in an AWD setup. (In theory it could.)
The sensors and system will slowly adapt to a different size front/rear.

The current 21" staggered wheel setup has different diameter tires on front and rear:
front 27.8", 749 revs / mile
rear 28.3", 735 revs / mile

19" wheels:
27.7", 751 revs / mile

The torque curves seem to be etched in stone, so I don't think they are recalculated.
This means that putting taller tires on will lower torque at the road even though the motors are capable of delivering more. If tesla offered different final ratios, they could adjust the torque curves to match.
I don't know how much room is available in the wheel wells when the suspension bottoms out, but 30" diameter tires would provide an effective 9.0 final drive ratio instead of the current 9.73.

Last edited:
The current 21" staggered wheel setup has different diameter tires on front and rear:
front 27.8", 749 revs / mile
rear 28.3", 735 revs / mile

19" wheels:
27.7", 751 revs / mile

The torque curves seem to be etched in stone, so I don't think they are recalculated.
This means that putting taller tires on will lower torque at the road even though the motors are capable of delivering more. If tesla offered different final ratios, they could adjust the torque curves to match.
I don't know how much room is available in the wheel wells when the suspension bottoms out, but 30" diameter tires would provide an effective 9.0 final drive ratio instead of the current 9.73.

I have a p100d coming this week with 21 staggered setup, and it is my first Tesla. The wheel situation drives me crazy, as I'm used to having the same diameter front and rears on awd cars. With the Tesla, It seems better to have the taller rears, as I'm considering getting a set of 20's with 245/40 and 275/40 rears, which would be even taller rears. 285/35 would be closer match to front diameter, but if taller rears is an advantage in acceleration given to supreme torque, maybe that is the way to go? Does the speedo correct itself going to taller rears? Thanks

I have a p100d coming this week with 21 staggered setup, and it is my first Tesla. The wheel situation drives me crazy, as I'm used to having the same diameter front and rears on awd cars. With the Tesla, It seems better to have the taller rears, as I'm considering getting a set of 20's with 245/40 and 275/40 rears, which would be even taller rears. 285/35 would be closer match to front diameter, but if taller rears is an advantage in acceleration given to supreme torque, maybe that is the way to go? Does the speedo correct itself going to taller rears? Thanks
Because the torque curve is pre-calculated and fixed, the lightest, smallest diameter tires/wheels would give the best acceleration, up to the point where they start to slip.
I don't know if the speedo is corrected for different sized tires.
When I set my car on cruise control and check the speed against gps speed, they are different. They might be applying an offset for some reason, but I don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: sorka
botox,
I found that Tesla's 21" option offered very little value. Instead, I took delivery with standard 19s and purchased some TSW Nurburgrings in 20" with Pilot Super Sports. The rims were 10lbs per corner less rotating mass along with the PSS' having more grip, better wear and costing less :) When the car sells, I'll have a brand new set of wheels and tires to put back on it.

BTW, the 20" option was a little over half Tesla's 21" option along with having the 19s in reserve.

Option that Tesla will first employ (if not already being done) is to have different gear ratios in the front and rear drives.

This would give you excellent torque at lower speeds, and enhance high speed performance.

Not sure a large percentage of owners would really care. They currently have great performance, and perhaps little is really to be gained.
While it could help it would be outclassed by other manufactures with performance sedans and sports cars that use transmissions. I get the you tesla owners like the simplicity and its fine for a non performance vehicle. But think about it, with that setup and low or high speed you are only using optimum power of one of the motors to accelerate as opposed to using both motors at full power if you had a second gear. There will be a second gear for true performance cars as well as trucks as proof by the rimac and nikola one. I mean its simple, use one motor down low and one up top or use both down low and up top with a second gear.

I guess if I go 20's, thinking HRE p204 as they look very tall, lightweight, and have a turbine look. 285/35 rears and 245 40 front would be closest diameter match, not as tall as 275/40 rears. Only All season tire in that size is the BF goodrich, the conti dws 06 rears only come in 275/40.

• Disagree
Reactions: jmsurpri
I guess if I go 20's, thinking HRE p204 as they look very tall, lightweight, and have a turbine look. 285/35 rears and 245 40 front would be closest diameter match, not as tall as 275/40 rears. Only All season tire in that size is the BF goodrich, the conti dws 06 rears only come in 275/40.
You don't want tall for best acceleration. You want a small diameter tire. The torque curves were designed for the 19" all season tires. To make use of any more grip, you have to go with a tire/wheel combination that has less rotating mass (moment of inertia) or is smaller in diameter than the 19" tire/wheel combination that comes stock.

Last edited:
Where would Tesla fit a transmission in the Model S? Keep in mind that first they would have to mechanically link the two motors via a driveshaft and the link that to a transmission. All this would come at the cost of space for the battery.

Alternatively, you could just drop the front motor entirely but that seems very counterproductive to the goal.

Given that transmission are a significant point of failure in just about every vehicle ever made, why add one when it clearly is not necessary?

The Model S can barely complete a single lap at full load at almost any road course. Perhaps a better cooling system is the answer.

Where would Tesla fit a transmission in the Model S? Keep in mind that first they would have to mechanically link the two motors via a driveshaft and the link that to a transmission. All this would come at the cost of space for the battery.

Alternatively, you could just drop the front motor entirely but that seems very counterproductive to the goal.

Given that transmission are a significant point of failure in just about every vehicle ever made, why add one when it clearly is not necessary?

The Model S can barely complete a single lap at full load at almost any road course. Perhaps a better cooling system is the answer.
See now you're introducing facts into our theory. Stop that! :)

I'm not sure there's a real need for a transmission for the vast majority of the driving cases for the S either... but I'd expect that if one were to be added, it would take the place of the single gear-reduction portion of the existing drive unit casing also housing the differential. I'd expect a 2 speed could be pretty compact, and not impinge too much on the surrounding space.

Those little motors already produce incredible amounts of power. A solution could be to double them in size, would not really make the car much heavier, 150 pounds, but it could comfortably run at 50% load. If the battery can handle it.

Reactions: WarpedOne
botox,
I found that Tesla's 21" option offered very little value. Instead, I took delivery with standard 19s and purchased some TSW Nurburgrings in 20" with Pilot Super Sports. The rims were 10lbs per corner less rotating mass along with the PSS' having more grip, better wear and costing less :) When the car sells, I'll have a brand new set of wheels and tires to put back on it.

BTW, the 20" option was a little over half Tesla's 21" option along with having the 19s in reserve.

What size are your rears, 275/40 or 285/35? Is your speedo correct? 275/40 gives a taller rear, 285/35 is very close to the diameter of the 245/40 fronts.

Those little motors already produce incredible amounts of power. A solution could be to double them in size, would not really make the car much heavier, 150 pounds, but it could comfortably run at 50% load. If the battery can handle it.
Bigger motors would be less efficient at highway cruise power levels.
I don't see the need to physically link the front and rear motors. Two separate transmission, a la scaesare, would do.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
I'm not sure there's a real need for a transmission for the vast majority of the driving cases for the S either... but I'd expect that if one were to be added, it would take the place of the single gear-reduction portion of the existing drive unit casing also housing the differential. I'd expect a 2 speed could be pretty compact, and not impinge too much on the surrounding space.

A transmission that can handle the torque output from the Model S and not immediately explode will be many things. It will not be compact. Then you still have to connect the front and rear motors to this monstrosity.

If someone here suggests two transmissions...GTFO!

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: sorka and msnow
I don't see the need to physically link the front and rear motors. Two separate transmission, a la scaesare, would do.
Exactly the rimac has 4 motors and 4 gearboxes so it can have 4 wheel torque vectoring. Rimac can make a transmission, why can't tesla? Just because they failed when they were first attempting it? Ever heard of a power glide? 2 gears and very compact and used for launching cars with 3000+hp and equally crazy torque numbers. They cans be built to be strong, reliable, and compact.

Now the argument of does the model s need one, I would say no. The model is is luxury street sedan, not a performance one or a sports car. But if you don't think it would benefit from it or it can't be done reliably, you are delusional. I do maybe think that you should be able to option for a 2 speed trans on the high power model s's.