Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D, 760HP and Performance Tests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edit: now I see the plot but cant comprehend it.

What is 120 percent of full load? What is full load efficieny at less then full load?
If it's a 100 hp motor, that would be full load. It could briefly produce 120 hp, and that would be 120 percent of full load. If the motor is generating 20 hp, then that would be 20 percent of full load. If you look along the horizontal axis where it says 20% and move up to the 100 hp curve, and then move horizontally over to the vertical axis it indicates the motor would only be about 95% as efficient as it was at 100 hp. You can see this is a general trend for all hp ratings.

You are right, I said the powerglide wasn't the point. It is, however, a very bad example. It was a flawed transmission that had the sole benefit of 20+ years of aftermarket development and support. There is no such thing as a flawless transmission, period.

Formula E is also a bad example as there are only two allowed car configurations. Single motor with a transmission and dual motor without.
How is it relevant how long it took? We have it now, we don't need to reinvent it and is used by drag racers everywhere. With a 2 speed dual clutch that means no synchronizers or any of that. Just 2 clutches, 2 shafts, and 2 permanently mounted always spinning gears. Just pick what clutch to engage to select the gear. Only thing to go wrong is the clutch and a well made one will last a long time, would be very reliable.

No there is no rule in formula e that says if you use 2 motors you can't have a transmission. Drive trains are open for teams to experiment with the only rules being max regen and power output. The teams that went with the 2 motor setup didn't have a transmission due to the weight penalty of 2 motors and a transmission is to great. The single speed seems to not be the right way to go given their final ranking. The teem with the 2 speed however got first and if I remember right they had double the points of the second place team which has a 3 speed transmission.

Depends on what you mean by "diameter", if you are talking about smaller overall diameter of the entire wheel, then you get WORSE acceleration time coz the contact area with the ground is smaller.
Not with these cars. The torque curve is pre-computed, and the contact patch does nothing until it's small enough that the tires break free.
So making the tire diameter smaller until just before the wheels lose traction using the pre-computed torque curve will provide greater acceleration.

You could also go wider as the diameter decreases to maintain the same contact patch.

Last edited:
TRC just got a P100DL. It pulls pretty hard on their P90DL in this video:

wow, the P100DL was pulling hard away from P90DL version 3 at any speed!! The mighty P90DL v3 that got 10.80 quarter mile all of a sudden look damn slow, haha. The 10.78 quarter mile set by Dragtimes for the P100DL will go down for sure.

Last edited:
Let's say the 100 pulls away 30 metres over 402 (1/4mi) from the 90. And that's a bit of a high estimate, I realize.
Taking a 120mph/193kph finish speed for the P90DL, that's:
193/3.6=53.64m/s.
30 meters = 30/53.64 = 0.56 second quicker.
20 meters = 0.37 seconds and I think that's a safe estimate.

So a 10.50 1/4 mile seems very much on the cards. Before Tesla do any tweaking as they've done before with prior versions.

How is it relevant how long it took? We have it now, we don't need to reinvent it and is used by drag racers everywhere. With a 2 speed dual clutch that means no synchronizers or any of that. Just 2 clutches, 2 shafts, and 2 permanently mounted always spinning gears. Just pick what clutch to engage to select the gear. Only thing to go wrong is the clutch and a well made one will last a long time, would be very reliable.

Back on the powerglide? Are you trying to use this as an example again or are you actually advocating it's use in a tesla?

You do realize it couldnt actually fit and would have to be completely redesigned and therefore not a realistic possibility. Nevertheless your thought that only the clutch bands could fail is nieve at best. The trans requires constant maintenance of the fluid and shift linkage in order to ensure the bands dont wear out prematurely. If not maintained the gears will eat themselves alive due to improper shifting. You are lucky if it's only the bands that need replaced. These transmission are very temperamental and used in drag racing because they are no longer streetable due to the decades of aftermarket modifications. In fact everything you love about this trans will make it terrible on the road. The powerglide has exactly one use now and should never be installed anywhere else.

Go back and think for a while about why you love this trans soo much and then think about what that would mean on a daily driver. If you still can't figure it out go ask someone who owns a drag car to take you for a ride.

Edits: I'm grumpy in the AM.

Last edited:
wow, the P100DL was pulling hard away from P90DL version 3 at any speed!! The mighty P90DL v3 that got 10.80 quarter mile all of a sudden look damn slow, haha. The 10.78 quarter mile set by Dragtimes for the P100DL will go down for sure.
They were just taking delivery of the p100dl. When I took delivery of my car they had it charged to 100%. Who knows what the level of charge on the p90dl was? We'll have to wait until they get them to the track and fully charged to see how they compare.

The p100dl should definitely have the advantage on a roll at 45 mph.

Last edited:
To come back to the bigger motor idea, lots of those low load losses are demagnetizing losses, thats why at low loads result in over proportional losses. Which is really something to be considered. So maybe increasing cooling power would really be the way to go. But a gearbox wouldn't really help if you want continuous high power, the drop after 100mph just comes natural to the induction motor, there is no way around it. At some point the induced voltage just gets too high. So while a gearbox would increase short power outputs over 100mph, it will still be limited to short periods of time.

To come back to the bigger motor idea, lots of those low load losses are demagnetizing losses, thats why at low loads result in over proportional losses. Which is really something to be considered. So maybe increasing cooling power would really be the way to go. But a gearbox wouldn't really help if you want continuous high power, the drop after 100mph just comes natural to the induction motor, there is no way around it. At some point the induced voltage just gets too high. So while a gearbox would increase short power outputs over 100mph, it will still be limited to short periods of time.

How does the motor know it is going 100 mph?

As far as I know those induced voltage loads you're talking about are based entirely on motor rpm - nothing to do with car speed except by way of gear ratios. Thus a long cruising gear should be able to reduce those losses by spinning the motor slower.

Of course, the aerodynamic loads at those speeds are ferocious, so the range will still be fairly short - but significantly more than it would be with the current gearing.

In today's road environment I'm not sure it is worth the weight and cost, but it is doable.

Where would Tesla fit a transmission in the Model S? Keep in mind that first they would have to mechanically link the two motors via a driveshaft and the link that to a transmission. All this would come at the cost of space for the battery.

It would also result in a performance cost in the RPM range where the drive units nearly flat in performance and efficiency (i.e. below 100 MPH). The extra rotating mass and gear mesh would result in slower acceleration below 100 MPH just to give you better efficiency above 115 MPH.

I would think a larger rotating mass would be much less efficient under acceleration but more efficient at regeneration and cruise.

Not any more efficient at cruise. You still have to pump more energy into the system to get it up the same speed. Once you're at steady state, it's no more or less efficient.

However, it is less efficient for stopping because the extra rotating inertia which is storing more energy will now coast longer and slow down slower which means the extra energy you used to get the car up to speed x will be wasted by using more regen to stop ore worse, physical braking. It's less efficient to recover energy with regen braking than it is to use the inertia to go as far as the car can.

So, why lower efficiency of bigger motor at steady highway driving?

1) The bigger motor has larger bearings which produce just a little more drag.
2) There's no such thing as steady state cruising. Even on cruise, the car is using energy or small amounts of regen to keep the car at the same speed. Very small differences but these add up. More energy in and more regen is less efficient because regen doesn't capture 100% of the energy that was put in so it's more efficient to use less energy in the first place since recovery losses some.

That said, with practice not using cruise and making sure that I never use regen on the highway unless I need to slow down, I manage to average 280 wh/mile at 65-70 in 75F+ temperatures in my P85DL. Every loaner I've had S6, S85, P85 has done worse probably due to alignment.