Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D loaners to all Model S/X in service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
“Our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available” said Musk during the Q1 [2017] earnings call today. “If you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous … Model X that we have. Same for Model S.” (source)

I'm heading in for an annual service and would like to know what to expect. For those who have done paid services recently, is this in fact Tesla policy, or was it only the policy for the 5 seconds in March while Elon was saying those words, then immediately reverted once he moved to the next sentence?

I have had about half a dozen service loaners in the last 4 years - they’ve varied from a Model S 60 to a Model S P90D to a (last week) Model X P100D (always a Tesla). I suspect it’s all about what they have “available” that day. I’ve enjoyed them all (particularly the Model X and the timely Holiday Easter Egg).

It will vary depending on how many loaners they've been allocated (which will vary by production), how many have been sold (which will vary by discounts during each quarter), how busy they are at the time, and by service center - they seem to have significant variance in how they operate.

As for my local service center, in more than 5 years of loaners (we have two cars, buy service plans for both, in 2013 Tesla offered several free upgrades for our Sig S, and we get all tire work done at Tesla, so we go in several times a year) I have always gotten a Tesla loaner. Lately, it's usually been a P100D, but they don't always have one. Not that it matters to me; a stripped 2013 S60 trade-in is just fine...not that I've gotten that. I think the worst I ever got was a 2012 SIgnature (loaded) S85. Given that we had the same car at home, we were perfectly happy with it as a loaner!

I've had four loaners in the first year of ownership. One was an Infiniti SUV, one an Infiniti Q50, one 85, and one P85. I've got a 75D. SC is always apologetic about giving me a non-Tesla loaner, but it's not a big deal to me. I haven't kept a loaner overnight yet.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
Had a loaner S100D last week. AP2 has improved a lot since I last test drove it. Chill mode is still Valet Mode with the ability to open the glove box, frunk, and garage... and it's a stupid feature to tie into Ap hardware unnecessarily.

You aren't in the Bay area so you will probably get a Tesla loaner.

We had 15 service visits over 4 years and 3 Teslas in the Bay area... Received one BMW loaner, one Volvo loaner and the rest were rides home.
We just moved to Colorado and the difference in service is incredible. Had our X in for service and got an old s85.. got a flat so they delivered a new s100D replacement and flatbedded the old one away.

So no, not a p100d and not an X to replace our X... But actually great service and an actual Tesla loaner.
They even uncorked our X without us asking them to while it was in for something else. Car was also cleaned which doesn't seem to happen any more in the Bay area. Fantastic.

It isn't that the people in the service centers in the Bay area are bad, they are just dealing with twice as many cars as they are resourced to deal with.