Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Owners: Why did you choose P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stupid Canadian exchange means that my vehicle price would go from $153,750 for a 90D loaded to $166,450 for a 100D (and lose the unlimited supercharging). Made the decision easier for me... :(

Oh, and the P100D jumps to $210,850 with the same options!! So the difference for me is $57,100. I could put that towards my Model 3 and almost have it paid for.

Went from an early 2013 P85+ to a late 2014 P85D, and then to a late 2016 P100D.

1. After driving P's, it would be difficult to go back. Yes, a 90D and a 100D are quicker than most other cars on the road, and certainly "fast enough" for any sane use case. I don't drag race, I don't go WOT at every light, etc. But on occasion it's rather fun to take an on-ramp, and I like the immediate passing capability >65-70mph. The non-P's give up much of their acceleration above 65. I took out a 90D before I bought the P100D and I just couldn't do it. ymmv.

2. I wanted AP2, and keeping non-metered supercharging was desirable, but not a show stopper (real $ benefit to this is not as much as one might think, unless you're towing with an X all the time).

3. Got a discount on a showroom car in Q4 that put me over.

I'm now ~5-6 weeks post purchase:

1. I really miss the + suspension and sway bars from my early P85D. It also turns out the steering is different. Apparently Tesla changed suppliers and I can feel the difference. It's less precise and I can't feel the road as much.
2. I miss the HID headlights. Sadly, the LEDs are not as good, and they should be better.
3. I'm concerned about the latest safety ratings. I hope Tesla redesigns the headlights and offers an at-cost upgrade, and fixes the seat belt issue free of charge.
4. The range can't be beat. A P85D is really closer to 80kWh, whereas the 100 is 98kWh (usable). I get 316 rated miles @ 100%. I charge to 80% daily, so theoretically my degradation should be less.
5. Superchargering on the 100 is quite nice. In 45-50F temps today I was still at 115kW at 170 rated miles, and 46kW at 290.

The 100D is by far a better value. If you make the decision with the left side of your brain and your wallet you'll get the 100D. If you're making it with the right side of your brain you'll get the P100D.

awesome info and perspective. gratzi!

i'm struggling to decide between an X 100D or P100D. like you i've already owned a P85 and P85DL, so i'm very worried that not getting another P will result in me being disappointed.

btw - i also have debated between getting (what would be) my 3rd Model S, or get into something new to me - the X. and if the Performance Plus suspension were available on the S still, it would be a no-brainer.... S all the way. i'm sorry, but the fastest car on the planet mated to a BMW/M-like suspension? that's my dream come true. the last time i drove a Model S with the standard suspension (loaner), i was HIGHLY disappointed. SO dull and unresponsive. i was shocked how badly it drove. what a miss by Tesla. i can't believe they got rid of the + suspension. i just can't believe it.

my luck i'll take delivery of a XP100D and they'll reintroduce the + suspension to the S. that's just how my life has been lately....

How does it go from 153 to 166? That's 13K. Seems like there's more than the exchange rate at work, or I am missing something?

Yes, something is off. We canadians are getting increase after increase. It is not funny anymore. I wanted to buy a MX but in my specifications it is including tax already over $190K. While a couple of months ago it was $140k-$150k. I just cannot justify that kind of money on a car, however great the car would be. I wait for the M3.

Thanks for all the replies. In the end, I decided to invoke YOLO :)

Congrats!

I chose my P100D for my wife because
Range
All the kids oohh and ahh in the car pool lane
My 10yo son loves bragging about it.
To make me happy knowing it's the fastest SUV acceleration ever made
Spoiler control
Lastly, since I spent that much on her car, I get to spend that much on my next car, hehe

Reactions: Cowby and hiroshiy
We went with the P100D because the 100D didn't yet exist and we needed the range. I started by taking some winter weather scenarios and calculated a common round trip we'd be making often and on those cold days which happen a lot around here, there just wasn't enough buffer left over with a 90D. And it turned out on one trip I made it to a supercharger with 1% left when towing a trailer. That 90D would have failed me.

I could have waited for the 100D, but doing so would have cost us an extra ~10k in taxes, so we went ahead and pulled the trigger even though we knew the new AP hardware would drop before the end of the year. My car was born 40 days early for that.

If I were to buy today, I'd go with the 100D.

Like most of everyone else I went P100D because the 100D wasn't out yet. I was looking for max range because I drive across the country a lot for trips. Also wanted the free supercharging and when they announced the end of it I knew I was sticking with the P100D. But I'm also glad I did because of the spoiler. I love that it lowers itself when the car is in park. It looks so much better than the spoiler always being up.

My story is very similar to Andrewket - but it seems I'm always one step behind him. I bought a p85+ that was delivered in early 2014. I upgraded to a P85D in the same time frame but ultimately didn't get a car until February 2015. I also have a model X now that I received in August 2016, and now i'm upgrading my S to a P100D that should arrive in March. As far as the decision to go with the performance version I think this varies according to your motives for buying and what is important to you. I know people who have driven a Performance model S and have found that the extra performance was physically unpleasant to them. Also if range is the most important factor then a P is not the way to go. For me, I originally wanted to buy a performance car (some might say a midlife crisis car) and eventually model S became my choice as I loved the idea of having an exciting car that was also a practical every day driver that was "green" - the best of all worlds.
I stopped chasing the performance numbers for a while (though I did get the ludicrous upgrade) but the jump to P100D was ultimately too enticing. The range is now so high that i don't care if it has less than a 100D, and having driven one, I was hooked. I don't launch that often but I like to accelerate aggressively when I can and this car feels pretty amazing, even when accelerating from higher speeds. If I'm honest I also enjoy, in a city that has very few electric vehicles but quite a few expensive performance cars, having a car that could outperform almost anything on the road (not that I drag race normally). I can't help wondering too, if the model 3 will make normal model Ss somewhat redundant as they may have equivalent performance, AP2 and potentially similar range. I'm guessing the P100D will still be pretty unique performance wise and will have the AP2 and range that should still be pretty decent even in a couple of years.
Edit;
I realize the OP and others are actually talking about the model X. I actually opted not to have performance on my X as I didn't really feel I needed it; however, my decision might have been different if I didn't have a performance S.

Thanks for the replies so far! Sounds like range is a factor for some. How many would have instead bought a 100D instead of the P version? Sounds like @Pdkj might have. Anyone else?
I waited for the 100D. I wanted the range--not that range is a huge deal for me since I'm not planning any long trips, but I figured better safe than sorry. The P100D seemed a bit much, for me anyway, since for the extra $$ after the first few weeks I couldn't see really ever using Ludicrous or Launch Mode.... (I must admit tho on the test drive my wife loved Launch Mode :) )

Yes, something is off. We canadians are getting increase after increase. It is not funny anymore. I wanted to buy a MX but in my specifications it is including tax already over $190K. While a couple of months ago it was $140k-$150k. I just cannot justify that kind of money on a car, however great the car would be. I wait for the M3.
I agree, we're being really hurt by the change rate. On the silver lining side, it just got a little bit better in Ontario at least: the Ontario government just removed the cap on the EV incentive, so the 100D I ordered last week is suddenly going to be $14,000 cheaper. (Well, actually $11,000 cheaper since it already qualified for a $3,000 incentive.)

I agree, we're being really hurt by the change rate. On the silver lining side, it just got a little bit better in Ontario at least: the Ontario government just removed the cap on the EV incentive, so the 100D I ordered last week is suddenly going to be $14,000 cheaper. (Well, actually $11,000 cheaper since it already qualified for a $3,000 incentive.)
The $14,000 rebate is capped at $150k. You have to be careful when ordering an S/X to make sure you don't go over $150k if you want to get the rebate.

All about the "P" for me.

Bought the P85DL, not the 85D for the same reason.
With a username like @InsaneDriver - no doubt!

I have to keep reminding myself... I gave up the P85D for now, the X will be my wife's car and she doesn't care (or know the difference) about P or non-P, and eventually I will have my P again! (That came out wrong) ((so did that!!)) :p

With a username like @InsaneDriver - no doubt!

I have to keep reminding myself... I gave up the P85D for now, the X will be my wife's car and she doesn't care (or know the difference) about P or non-P, and eventually I will have my P again! (That came out wrong) ((so did that!!)) :p

Good move. Our X is my wife's primary car, and it's a P90DL. We probably would have bought a 90D except we got the founder's edition which was a P90DL as standard. She said she didn't care about the P, generally is a calm driver (doesn't pass a ton), etc. A few months post-purchase, we had a 90D loaner and she instantly complained. When AP2 came out, we talked about trading the P90D in for a 100D with AP2. She wasn't willing to give up the P :)