Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been borrowing my friends P3D+ and its effing amazing. One thing I notice is that it goes so fast that you almost don't even realize it or in other words you're not really registering what just happened and next thing you know, you're 20 MPH ahead of the speed limit and you're like "Oh sh*t!". So it goes from "omg!! this is so awesome" to "i better slow TF down" in a matter of 3 seconds. It's amazing in every way possible but I wish I could savor it longer before fear kicks in of me getting chased by the cops.

Anyone else feel this way?!

I was driving my family to dinner in my P3D+ and went to merge onto a 75mph interstate so I gunned it to beat traffic, I wasn’t paying attention to the speedometer until my wife started screaming slow down you’re doing 100MPH. So in love with this car.

Lol! I had the same experience. I was doing the same thing to merge on the interstate. It was so quick. Looking back it just happened in a blink of an eye. It was like I was and wasn't there. Some type of teleportation :cool:

But i'm just really curious if there's that fear with any P3D+ owner that kicks in right after you go so fast that you have to slow the h*ll down. I always love gunning it but that emotion is followed by this little fear of being caught.

But i'm just really curious if there's that fear with any P3D+ owner that kicks in right after you go so fast that you have to slow the h*ll down. I always love gunning it but that emotion is followed by this little fear of being caught.
I have that fear from going too fast, but it's from a safety perspective. It's fun to feel the rush, but I have no desire to cause accidents so I usually let go at around the speed limit.

One thing I've noticed is that it's quite easy to manage your speed because of the regen and the responsiveness of the motors. I can easily get to the speed limit and release enough of the pedal at the right moment to maintain the speed limit.

You could set a chime to go off when you pass a speed limit. You can even set it with extra mph pass the speed limit instead of having your wife scream at you. I think the speed limit is based off off the map.

I've been borrowing my friends P3D+ and its effing amazing. One thing I notice is that it goes so fast that you almost don't even realize it or in other words you're not really registering what just happened and next thing you know, you're 20 MPH ahead of the speed limit and you're like "Oh sh*t!". So it goes from "omg!! this is so awesome" to "i better slow TF down" in a matter of 3 seconds. It's amazing in every way possible but I wish I could savor it longer before fear kicks in of me getting chased by the cops.

Yes, I almost got in trouble yesterday when I picked up the vehicle. The cop was about 100 feet away and I didn't see him. I went 0-50 under in the 2 seconds.

Fortunately, I was slowed down at 50 mph at 45 mph zone. If it was the ICE vehicle, I probably got a ticket for jack rabbiting. You make so much noise that it is easy to tell.

Fortunately, it is quiet smooth ride up to 50mph and I think cop probably couldn't tell.

Simply put, it's like a silky smooth roller coaster but half the cost of P100D!

I am enjoying it!

Reactions: skrtskrt and DDotJ

Trust me, this is a problem with all Tesla's, not just P3D. I have the RWD Model 3, and it takes no time for me to get 15-20 above speed limit. On the freeway it isn't unusual for me to pass a car then see my speedo read 85-90 and I go sh*t.

To maximize enjoyment, try to stop at every red light rather than rush through it. This way you get to launch from 0 to +15 over speed limit at green, then ease off the pedal and coast way ahead of other cars. You'll get to fee the rush each and every time. Much harder to do this on the freeway unfortunately since you can't stop and every slight press of the accelerator pedal puts you over speed limit.

Just for the love Elon Musk don't do stupid launches at crowded streets with pedestrians.

It's stupidly, effortlessly fast, kind of in a bad way.

I was showing my friend what the P3D could do on some back roads yesterday and hadn't really hit the "twisties" with it yet. He encouraged me to take the next windy bit with some spirit, so I did what I thought was a conservative, but spirited speed through the corners.

I reached a point where I could feel the motors making corrections to maintain traction; some of the corners were off-camber, a bit bumpy, and the car made little tweaks to hold the road. These were tweaks that an ICE car wouldn't have been able to replicate (I don't think). If I was in a Porsche, I'd be in the woods.

Scared the crap out of me that it was so difficult to gauge true danger in this thing, because it silently glides up to speeds that are insane.

Of course, with those corrections, it was 100% in control the entire time. So it really does do what Elon says: makes you feel like a superhero.

To maximize enjoyment, try to stop at every red light rather than rush through it. This way you get to launch from 0 to +15 over speed limit at green, then ease off the pedal and coast way ahead of other cars. You'll get to fee the rush each and every time. Much harder to do this on the freeway unfortunately since you can't stop and every slight press of the accelerator pedal puts you over speed limit.

I will have to keep this tip in mind! Thanks

It's stupidly, effortlessly fast, kind of in a bad way.

.../...

Scared the crap out of me that it was so difficult to gauge true danger in this thing, because it silently glides up to speeds that are insane.

I’m going to echo the “stupidly, effortlessly fast, kind of in a bad way” statement. I think the problem for me has been adjusting to not having an engine noise to associate speed with, so like many others have posted, I’ve often found myself looking at the speed and then looking frantically in the rear view mirror while casually slowing down.

My friend was driving in the lane next to me on the highway back from a day trip over this past weekend, and since it was wide open with nobody/nothing in sight (and the wife was asleep), we decided to have a little fun. From 85mph to 137mph took no time at all and it honestly didn’t feel like I had even sped up. Really, the giveaway was watching my friends car disappear in the side mirror. :D

I’m going to echo the “stupidly, effortlessly fast, kind of in a bad way” statement. I think the problem for me has been adjusting to not having an engine noise to associate speed with, so like many others have posted, I’ve often found myself looking at the speed and then looking frantically in the rear view mirror while casually slowing down.

This. Perfectly said. Maybe I'm just not use to it yet. Has any P3D+ owners gotten a feel yet where they don't have to frantically look in the back and slow down? I'm wondering will I get adjusted to it where I can detect easily and slow down and not have to worry too much while still enjoying instead of having a quick fear/paranoia hovered over me every time I floor the pedal.

I reached a point where I could feel the motors making corrections to maintain traction; some of the corners were off-camber, a bit bumpy, and the car made little tweaks to hold the road. These were tweaks that an ICE car wouldn't have been able to replicate (I don't think). If I was in a Porsche, I'd be in the woods.

Don’t oversell it ;-) The electronic AWD and traction control response with the Tesla separate engines and open diffs will always be less effective than mechanical setups that proactively *prevent* slippage (using physics!) like the Torsen diffs in many Audis. I’m sure the Tesla setup is great but I haven’t seen evidence that it’s more effective than a Haldex (electronically controlled AWD) let alone the more sophisticated mechanical systems.