Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Highway Passing Speed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine felt a little slow today going from 80 to 100... I passed all the other cars with ease, but probably shouldn't have been doing that in the first place. A more responsible adult would have set it to autopilot and let it go.

0-60, is fantastic P3D is excellent in curves, so much fun.

I find it to be a very very fast and satisfying speed. Its a tad slower to accelerate at higher speeds, but has a great area under the curve.
Honestly, for a street car its perfect. I'm not doing 100 on the regular, nor should I.
Even at 90mph its accelerating nicely still, but yes less than a 640 hp car with a 7 speed transmission.
The handling is extremely good, a pure canyon carver. At wheel speed of about 90 mph you have about 370 whp.

2018 Tesla Model 3 with Performance Upgrade vs. Dual Motor.pdf

Attachments

• 2018 Tesla Model 3 with Performance Upgrade vs. Dual Motor.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 195
Last edited:
I don't find it slower than my prior 911 (2013 4S) for typical highway passing. It may not seem as crazy of an experience as there isn't the intense howling and whining of the ICE engine, but no regrets and it doesn't "feel" slower to me. Now if I were cruising at 85+ and gunned it the story may change but that isn't a reasonable or typical concern.

I’ve driven plenty of Model S’s in 85, P85, 85D, 90D (owned two), and P100D versions. The only one that pulls harder than my P3D+ is the P100D at highway passing speeds. The loaner P100D is like no other car in its price range from 0-60 and not too many other cars can match the 50-70 passing speeds unless you go the supercar or muscle car (Hellcats and Demons) route.

The P3D+ has more than enough power for passing 99% of the cars out there and to get away from trucks and semis from spitting up road salt and gravel at this time of year. If you want to get away from 99.5% of vehicles at freeway speeds and have the means to get a P100D or a Ludicrous long range Model S then get a Model S. The overtaking speeds shouldn’t be the only factor in your decision in getting a 3 or an S...I wish the 3 had the extra trunk space and hatch opening of the S, but I love the gocart handling of the 3.

What Nate said exactly. If you're trying to piss on someone who is already going 70-80, this is not the car to get. Challengers will beat you. It will still pass normal cars "quickly", but it's nothing like passing when going 0 or 30mph.

yep agree
P3D car is amazingly fast off the line
but from 65-85 trying to play with AMG- BENZ
M-BMW
RS- AUDI'S
P TURBOS
isn't a good idea

I'd shy away from the subjective inputs honestly. These cars have such ridiculous acceleration off the line that even if they were faster than ICE counterparts above 70mph, they no longer have the same feeling as below 50mph. My LR feels soft above 70mph, but is it really? Look for numbers. There are definitely vehicles that will outpace the Tesla above 70 mph, but I'd argue that they comprise less than 1% of cars on the road!

I don't find it slower than my prior 911 (2013 4S) for typical highway passing. It may not seem as crazy of an experience as there isn't the intense howling and whining of the ICE engine, but no regrets and it doesn't "feel" slower to me. Now if I were cruising at 85+ and gunned it the story may change but that isn't a reasonable or typical concern.
Perfectly reasonable, and common, for me.

I'd shy away from the subjective inputs honestly. These cars have such ridiculous acceleration off the line that even if they were faster than ICE counterparts above 70mph, they no longer have the same feeling as below 50mph. My LR feels soft above 70mph, but is it really? Look for numbers. There are definitely vehicles that will outpace the Tesla above 70 mph, but I'd argue that they comprise less than 1% of cars on the road!

This thread is about those cars. Doesn't matter that they are less than 1%.

For me the advantage at high way speeds comes from the instant power. If the ice car has dropped the gear and it is ready to punch it while you are driving side by side, P3D might not be as fast as cars that are 4 secs 0-60 level or faster, but if the other car is cruzing at 6th gear and punches it same time with you at 70mph, you will get him just because your torque/power is immediate. Before the other car rev matches, drops to 2nd or 3rd gear you will be 2 car ahead.

I went to Tesla and test drove a P3D and had my buddy drive my sl550 on the highway beside me.

I killed him on a 60 mph pull. I got a good jump on the 70 mph pull. We did 2 80 mph pulls. On both of them, as expected, I got the jump until my sl550 twin turbos kicked in and we were virtually neck and neck until about 110 mph and we bailed out.
Glad to know Tesla sales let you do this kind of hard core comparison in a test drive.