Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Highway Passing Speed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You just nailed the 1,000,000 dollar question.

I am having a hard time deciding if I want to leave my luxurious sl550 for the great, albeit fashioned with less than rich materials. My wood and leather steering wheel and my massaging seat with 56 million plus adjustments are fantastic.

On the other hand, full self driving in Los Angeles traffic is nirvana.

I had to get some food to do some power thinking....still working on both.

If you are on the fence, find a P3D on Turo to rent for a day or two. After a 30 minute test drive, I wasn't sure if I was ready to leave my BMW behind. Got a 48 hour rental on Turo...18 hours in I placed my order.

You're still missing the point as the OP thumbs'ed up my response.

Are we using mathematics, here? Are 2 people that are wrong suddenly right, because they're both wrong?

If you live somewhere with those fast cars, you may have problems with that 1% of cars on your roads. If you don't live anywhere near those kind of cars, you will have zero problems.

Common sense just isn't that common anymore, is it?

• Disagree
Reactions: Drizzle
Couldn't agree with you more...the P3D will blow my $120,000 POS out of the water off the line. However, if you will notice, this thread is about highway passing speed. :)

Well, if you're already a few seconds ahead of the $120,000 POS, and he has to floor it to pass you at 90+ mph, just think of how much it just cost him to do that.

Also, hope for instant karma, like a cop running radar over the next rise.

• Disagree
If it is all about highway extra legal passing speeds, then a big hp gasser with multiple gears will be the one to choose. If you have the chance to plan ahead, and get into the proper gear before mashing the throttle the gasser will provide the fastest passing authority. Aero will also come into play as you get much over 120.

I had these same game to play when I used to race sport bikes against my Supercharged Viper. At lower velocities they would run off from me, but if I could get our beginning speeds up to 70 mph or so, my Viper would pull away. Bikes tapped out at 12o, bit the Viper had the gears to get to +200 mph.

Until the New Roadster is released, the gassers will rule the extra legal passing speeds game.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Those cars won't really catch you unless they're doing 110mph or so. If you're getting up to those speeds on public roads just to prove a point, well, you deserve all of the insurance points.

• Disagree
PS. The P3D is so much quicker than ANY Mercedes from a stop

Nope.

The Quickest AMG Mercedes Car and Driver Has Ever Tested

2.9 seconds 0-60 for the quickest Mercedes C&D ever tested (2018 AMG E63 Sedan)

3.0 0-60 for the S63 Coupe too.

Two more tested at 3.2, which would be a tie for the P3D.

If you want a Tesla that is "so much quicker than ANY mercedes from a stop" you're gonna need to trade your P3D in on a P100D Model S.... (or wait on the 2nd gen Roadster I suppose)

Nope.

If you want a Tesla that is "so much quicker than ANY mercedes from a stop" you're gonna need to trade your P3D in on a P100D Model S.... (or wait on the 2nd gen Roadster I suppose)
That AMG is also 135k. You will rarely see something at that level, and it's very unlikely that that driver would get into a pissing contest at 90mph.

Well stated. However, I'm past my racing days and seldom see a sustained speed of 100 mph....more of a passing accident when I hit that speed.

As such the passing ranges up to 100 are more relevant. I am glad I was able to get some comparison data vs. my sl550
That answers the question for you then. The P3D will easily handle just about any car on the road up to that point. There is always somebody faster, no matter what you drive.

If it is all about highway extra legal passing speeds, then a big hp gasser with multiple gears will be the one to choose. If you have the chance to plan ahead, and get into the proper gear before mashing the throttle the gasser will provide the fastest passing authority. Aero will also come into play as you get much over 120.
If you are passing another car at 100 you aren't "passing" you are "racing". There isn't anything in the P3D price point that is materially faster at any reasonable passing speed, and few that are materially faster after 100.

That AMG is also 135k. You will rarely see something at that level, and it's very unlikely that that driver would get into a pissing contest at 90mph.
strongly disagree based where the OP is located dime in a dozen to come across these type of cars, socal drivers in general are very aggressive on the fwys, what's the saying $$$ can't buy class

I'm sure the OP's question has already been answered but I think fwy/hwy passing in general is okay against the norm vehicles on the road, but in socal if he encounters anything close to P3D+ hp levels he will be disappointed about laying the gap distance if the other driver is aware and already driving in an aggressive manner. Teslas are ho hum from a 70mph+ roll.

The only thing I can offer is I have no problem passing anyone easily at highway speeds in my LR RWD and it's slow compared to a P3D. The other part of your question really should be: What kind of "idiot" are you trying to pass/lose? Someone in a Hellcat or Mom's Odyssey?

Reactions: Upscaleman
Nope.

Wrong....Nico Rosberg ....you know the F1 driver....just raced his 290K 2.6 sec to 60 Porsche GT2 RS against a box stock P3D to 100 KPH....and guess what...the Tesla P3D won and was still pulling.....this is also pre the upcoming 5% peak HP boost. Mercedes are garbage. I’m a former huge BMW guy and I now have ZERO interest in them. Tesla carries way more status than a ancient dinosaur from one of the old fashioned legacy makers.

Guess I’ll not have to go P100D+ to destroy any Mercedes off the line ...... like I said. Real World Test and one of the fastest cars that Porsche makes got beat. Mercedes blows.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoang51 and wenkan
Wrong....Nico Rosberg ....you know the F1 driver....just raced his 290K 2.6 sec to 60 Porsche GT2 RS against a box stock P3D to 100 KPH....and guess what...the Tesla P3D won and was still pulling.....

Yeah...no.

Jump to 3:45 in the video. It points out the Porsche ran 3.3 0-60, not 2.6. The Tesla 3.2.

Which, if math isn't your thing, is slower than the quickest Mercedes cars I already cited, and equal to a couple of others.

At 3:49 it points out the Porsche had very poor traction due to being only RWD (and likely not on the track tires they're really meant to be using) on a slippery pier vs AWD on the Tesla. The Mercedes I cited (and some other Porsches quicker than the Model 3 while you're at it) are AWD so wouldn't have that issue.

Look, the P3 is outstanding bang for the buck under 100 mph.... as pointed out by how much more you need to spend to reliably beat it 0-60.... but that doesn't mean it's "much quicker" than any Mercedes- it's factually not.

If your ego needs to be quicker to 60 than anything Germany offers at any price, the P100D is what you're gonna need to move up to.

Last edited:
Yeah...no.

Jump to 3:45 in the video. It points out the Porsche ran 3.3 0-60, not 2.6. The Tesla 3.2.

Which, if math isn't your thing, is slower than the quickest Mercedes cars I already cited, and equal to a couple of others.

At 3:49 it points out the Porsche had very poor traction due to being only RWD (and likely not on the track tires they're really meant to be using) on a slippery pier vs AWD on the Tesla. The Mercedes I cited (and some other Porsches quicker than the Model 3 while you're at it) are AWD so wouldn't have that issue.

Look, the P3 is outstanding bang for the buck under 100 mph.... as pointed out by how much more you need to spend to reliably beat it 0-60.... but that doesn't mean it's "much quicker" than any Mercedes- it's factually not.

If your ego needs to be quicker to 60 than anything Germany offers at any price, the P100D is what you're gonna need to move up to.

You like to quote stats...do a search for Porsche GT2RS and you will see 0 to 60 MPH as 2.6 seconds ..... NEWSFLASH SHERLOCK....real World surfaces are NOT GROOMED DRAG STRIPS. REAL WORLD TESLA P3D OWNED A PORSCHE GT2RS Driven by one of the best drivers in the World....a driver that presumably knows how to launch a car. The Porsche or any other ICE car also has to use launch control....the Tesla OTOH just mash the throttle. Unlike the ICE cars, the stars don’t have to align under a harvest moon in order to rip off a max acceleration run.... anyone can do it. Real World P3D owns almost every car from a stop to 70 or 80 mph. P3D will be even quicker soon when the 5% peak HP boost rolls out. So sorry but you’re wrong again mate.

Reactions: JeffK