Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Owner Sit-in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P3D- owners should get free PUP, since that’s effectively what the $5K refund is for previous buyers.

That doesn't make sense.

P3D+ owners are getting a refund because they paid for something that is now free.

P3D- owners (and AWD and RWD owners) didn't pay any money for anything that is now free. So there's no $5000 they're "owed" because they never spent that in the first place. In fact they explicitly chose NOT to spend it when they had the chance.

Why are we starting another thread arguing the same *sugar* over and over again.

No one "deserves" anything. Everyone got what they paid for.

This back and forth bickering between owners solves what exactly? If you have issues, take it up with Tesla. Quote and Link Elon's tweets to them if you didn't get PUP since he said all performance owners get the option of refunds/FUSC. If you don't get a check regardless of what model you purchased, you still got what you paid for in the end.

I didn't buy the PUP. I love my car. I got an email saying "they processed my refund request" and I still don't expect to ever get a check and I'm still happy because I got exactly what I wanted. Tesla could have done a better job... but they do this all of the time.

Last edited:
P3D- owners should get free PUP, since that’s effectively what the $5K refund is for previous buyers.

The list of people who would have made different buying decisions had we all known of an impending price drop is huge (and probably extends to the whole range of M3 buyers). But this is no different than anything else in life - No one has a crystal ball. Be happy of the price point when you pull the trigger and don't look back.

The single best thing for the resale value of your P3D+ is to have Tesla survive. It seems they are doing the best they can to make that happen even if they make some mistakes along the way.

One could also argue his tweet falsely advertised and misled the public into making certain purchasing decisions for the sole benefit of Tesla, which is also illegal, at least it is in California.

His Tweet only was pertinent to people who purchased an item already - so not sure that would stand up.

There is lots of litigation going on around the substance we assign to tweets. It is not an area of settled law.

BTY I think Elon is 'nuts' and has no businesses running Tesla anymore - invent away, but get a stable person to run the company.

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense.

P3D+ owners are getting a refund because they paid for something that is now free.

P3D- owners (and AWD and RWD owners) didn't pay any money for anything that is now free. So there's no $5000 they're "owed" because they never spent that in the first place. In fact they explicitly chose NOT to spend it when they had the chance.

PUP

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. It's really great to see how supportive and friendly you all are towards each other. I especially appreciate how you haven't resorted to personal attacks, insults or hyperbole to communicate your disagreements. TMC is a truly one of a kind community.
I've skimmed through all the pages and looks like you're upset because Metallic Silver is no longer a paint option?

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and MXWing
Asking a question:

I read the Tesla Parts catalog only lists 2 types of engines (front and back) for Model 3 whereas the Model S and Model X have 3 types (one extra 'performance' engine).

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/login (gated)

I know Elon claimed the 'bin lotted best sigma output' or whatever, but does it seem odd to anyone else that it essentially has the same engines as the AWD? Whereas the X and S have a special engine?

If I am wrong here, please excuse me, just seemed like the right place for the question.

• Funny
Most think they are the same with maybe the best ones going into Ps.

I feel like I would be waaaaay more upset about this than a car price change. No one ships a company extra money when they raise the price, why would it be the other way around.

But the engine thing would have me irate. Also, seems very coincidental that the badges and spoilers were left off

fwiw, im a Tesla bear and i dont think anyone has a right to complain about the price change. Price skimming has been around for a long time, it's weird to assume you should get a refund.
No was assuming they should get refunds until Elon promised them to 1/2 the people and avoided anything for the other 1/2. b That is the issue...

It's also not a small price change, it's an "entire year of payments" price difference for me. I haven't even made my first payment yet, and don't have the 3 in my driveway yet but I will pay more for less and not be treated equally by Tesla.

No was assuming they should get refunds until Elon promised them to 1/2 the people and avoided anything for the other 1/2. b That is the issue...
oh ya, that I agree with, but I mean, Elon lies....sorry, is "overly optimistic"...... a lot so I never really gave it any credibility

Still though, you have every reason to claim a refund based on that, just not if it's because they lowered the price. That's business

Reactions: juanmedina
I bought EAP instead of PUP, I spent the same amount of money on performance. For everyone who bought pup they get theirm moneyback.

Right- because they chose to spend $5000 on something now free, so they get a refund of that 5k.

I
Those that did not, they still do not have pup and get nothing

So they're exactly where they were before any of this happened. They didn't "lose" anything at all. They didn't pay actual money for something that's now being given away free.

Which is why it's nonsensical THOSE people think they "deserve" $5000.

, and are still affected by the price drop.

objection- facts not in evidence.

The P3D+ owners were- since someone could now buy a "new" car like their for $5000 less.

The P3D- isn't even sold anymore. And was never sold cheaper than what you paid for it. (ignoring the weirdo things like the paint color prices changing)

Now we paid the the same or more than everyone else and are left with inferior cars.

So all the P3D- folks who skipped the performance package intentionally (not just because they couldn't afford it) were buying "inferior" cars?

I guess RWD and AWD owners REALLY bought some garbage, huh?

Your going to tell me it's fair that some people get free PUP and others do not

Not really.

That's why those who paid for what is now free are getting their money back.

P3D- owners never paid for it in the first place.

Your inability to see any difference there is frankly bizarre.

Awd and rwd buyers did not spend the same amount of money

They spend exactly the same as you did on the Performance Upgrade Package.

So they are just as entitled to a refund of every cent they paid for it as you are.

Which is $0.00

Their cars pricing still remains the same. They are not affected.

Same with you- your cars pricing remained the same until the day they stopped selling it.

Let's brake it down for you one more time.

YM
Break
HTH

Pay more, get less = unhappy customers.

But you didn't do that.

You got exactly what you paid for.

If they had suddenly cut the price of the P3D- by $5000 your description would make sense for your situation- they didn't.

They don't even sell it at all anymore, and never sold it cheaper.

go troll somewhere else.

I'm sorry you consider facts and math to be trolling.

I'm sure you feel entitled to better.[/QUOTE]

oh ya, that I agree with, but I mean, Elon lies....sorry, is "overly optimistic"...... a lot so I never really gave it any credibility

Still though, you have every reason to claim a refund based on that, just not if it's because they lowered the price. That's business

Exactly, I think that's the point that P3D owners are trying to make.

I don't want a refund.... It would be nice but I am ok with getting PUP, EAP or FSD.

Yes the price lowering is a huge slap to the face (have to pay up even if w you don't have your car yet and you ordered the p3D-, if you have the plus you get PUP free though) but no one is trying to claim refunds or start sit ins based on that, although I still think it sucks and is unfair. I'll simply just never buy another Tesla.